View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Golden Retriever tries to eat baby rabbits

I am out weeding the garden about five p.m. Dog always loves going in the garden chasing snakes and sniffing out anything that walks through during the day and night. A large rabbit, and now I know the large rabbit is a female, had a family of two babies in the only raised bed I didn't plant anything in this year. My back is to the dog insdie the garden while I am weeding. Next thing I hear is this little, what I now know to be baby rabbit screams, animal wailing. I turn around and my golden is doing her best I'm a bear routine whacking one of the two baby rabbits. The other one escaped running right between my feet. I run over to where the dog is trying to crush the rabbit in its mouth. Scare the bejesus out of the dog, and she drops rabbit on the ground from just a few inches in height. Dog is still trying to make a meal of the rabbit. I have to kick the dog in the butt to get her away from the rabbit. I finally get dog outside of garden fence. The rabbit my dog was trying to eat now runs across garden, under the fence, then stops in the middle of the yard and makes like no one can see it. I run over and pick it up, and bring it back inside the garden and put it next to the hole in the raised bed where the mother I am sure has been looking after them. Now I run over to the other rabbit who hasn't moved, pick that one up and put it next to the other one in the raised bed. Now I feel bad because I got so pissed at the dog. She was just doing what comes naturally. I think both of the babies are o.k. I saw one outside the fence eating some clover as dusk set in. I did get the garden weeded/watered. And the dog is still talking to me.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote