Thread: Do you.......
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #28
Backbeach Jake

For those of us who remember what was, the old ways on the Cape, when fishing , clamming , berry picking, hunting was a necessity, only we will know what was lost. This Cape Cod was a remote and nearly lost, newly found corner of this country. Primitive in living, close to the earth. I am profoundly saddened by the changes that I have witnessed and the way of life that is now nearly lost. Breaks my heart. But change is inevitable and unrelenting, it comes with a steady pressure that can't be stopped. Sad but true. "Progress" is a glacially slow, unstoppable freight-train. Our idyllic, bucloic lives have been transformed over the decades, never to return to the way it was. We were free men, earning our way from the earth, and there was a measure of satisfaction in our lives. It has slipped away. What we once made, we must buy. What we once had taked for granted is owned by our government. But in all this, I personally take great satisfaction in knowing what once was. I was given a simpler, more fulfilling life. The heyday of that life is long ago past, but it's skills and lessons will sustain me into what is left of my future. The good old days of Cape Cod were indeed good.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote