View Single Post
Old 01-16-2003, 01:59 PM   #15
fishing bum wannabe

302/304

I bought soft 302/304 wire from McMaster-Carr and have been using it for a while. I haven't had any issues with it straightening under pressure, but then I haven't had the opportunity to test it on anything other than hooking the plug to a tree and tugging. It is softer and easier to work than the 316, but still is plenty stiff. It is far stiffer than the brass wire I used to use.

What might be the down side to this wire? My understanding is that this is what Gibbs has been using it for many years.

I would think that the 302/304 would have suitable corrosion resistenace for use on a plug, certainly more than the zinc coated hooks and chromed brass swivels that are used on the plug. At what point is the corrosion resistance overkill?

bud8fan, thanks for the sheet stainless. Makes nice lips. Stiff! Tried punching through for the wire like I did with my old brass lips. I had ground a punch to shape (5/32" dia punch, ground with flats so that it was 1/16+" x 5/32"), put the plate on top of the end grain of a piece of hardwood and gave it a solid hit with a hammer. It goes through the stainless some of the time, but deforms the lip and the punch doesn't want to come out. When it works it cuts a nice shape. I will have to rethink that process. Got any tricks?

fishing bum wannabe
fishing bum wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote