View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #22
Raven

Exclamation i have a handicap tag

i am permanently handicapped as a result of jumping off a ladder to avoid several thousand hornet stings and shearing my tibia clear off
requiring two operations of screw implants and then screw removal
and of course arthritis sets in to this type of injury... i unfortunately landed on my right heel with my leg locked straight and hit the asphalt with 2000 pounds of force...
=======================================
and it's not always apparent what my handicap is because in the morning when my ankle (which is basically permanently sprained)
is "fresh as a daisy" from a good nights recuperative sleep, i walk perfectly fine,
but as the day wears on i can start limping and need to have that close proximity to the store entrance to avoid walking across the whole damn parking lot when the establishment is totally Packed.

i no longer need a cane but will have my handicap placard for life.
my disability isn't ever going to go away. Some days i walk as normal as anyone on this board and probably can still kick down a door if pissed off in a major way but with serious repercussions to follow like ending up back on crutches for a day or two or longer
for doing something so stupid in a state of uncontrollable rage.
[[[[ a JOEY ]]]]

it's as changeable as the friggan weather...one day fine, the next day your absolutely fuked...and you never really know when it may occur and your forced into designing your day's activities around it's peculiar attribute to suddenly fail you without warning.

like say i step on a small pebble or a chunk of ice or an acorn and i
turn my ankle just a tiny bit.....that's all it takes sometimes ....so i have to carefully watch exactly where i place my right foot always.

does that mean i can't march down a beach to go surf casting for stripers carrying all kinds of gear... maybe or maybe not....you never know...its just the luck of the draw or the bad luck of the day...... i can no longer even take motrin for it because it was destroying my innards...so i had to re-adjust my mental tolerance to pain
and learn to suck it up... although sometimes i wish i had a pair of collapsible crutches in a backpack just in case of an emergency.

do i see people who are obviously using a relatives handicap placard
on a daily basis....you betcha... same as all of you... do i think they are scumbags...well ....if they run into the store absolutely...
but if they walk...i'm not so sure... and i give them the benefit of the doubt because to most people who observe me walking i look perfectly normal...and the looks i get sometimes are like shooting daggers in their eyes..... so i know the feeling ...trust me on that.

the people who i think or know are scumbags are the one's who
park in a handicap parking space who don't have a tag or a handicap plate either...and i always wanna stab their tire's with my ice pick....

the rule's are BTW: that the handicapped person must enter the store (or exit the vehicle) to be able to use the handicapped space and can't just sit in the car while their spouse goes in...

do i use the handicapped space everytime i go out? NOPE
i only use it when my ankle is already killing me and the number of steps i can take are numbered.... i can do anything you guys can do... it's just that i run the risk of some serious pain as a consequence later on....and usually theres a very high price to pay.

i hope this true account clears up some of the mystery for ya.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote