View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 04:36 PM   #18
BassyiusMaximus

As I don't have any one favorite, I have all my favorite cars from when I was young, just out of High School, pretty much broke and got a string of beaters that others were getting rid of for $100-200 dollars.

My first beater was a 72 Chevelle. I paid about $150 for it. It was orange with a black roof, had a straight 6, 2-speed Hydro-glide transmission. What a piece. When I did get it it would light up the tires around every corner and I used to light them up everywhere. It had the kind of rear quarter windows that would roll down and I thought it was the coolest thing. It would never pass inspection because the exhaust was never right, I would put flex-pipe underneath and get $25 Thrush Cherry-Bomb mufflers from the hardware store to get the cool exhaust sound. another time we levered front end springs from a Pontiac into the rear so the back end of the car was about 1-2 feet too high to be legal. On one trip to Salisbury/Hampton beach up 110, I got pulled over in every town and got a ticket for improper equipment, bad inspection sticker and all sorts of things but they would let us go and we'd drive through the next town and get stopped again. I never paid the tickets because they would go in a file somewhere as there were no computers back then. I ended up leaving that thing in an alley when a better car came along . . .

. . . a 1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus, ohhhh, this thing was a beaut.. Gloss black with a white roof this time and the oh so cool stock factory mags and a sweet white interior. It had the 318 V8 and the coolest Slapstick Automatic transmission on the floor. When one put it into L, the colors on the indicator would change and no matter how hard you slapped the T-Handle forward, it would not go past the next gear. Great for dragracing the other idiots back in the day that wanted to go. The car was a big heavy beast, but when gas was oh, 60 cents a gallon, I don't remember ever worrying about the price of gas back then. I had a derelict buddy, if I could call him that, who would put stuff in my gas tank, loosen up my lugnuts and do all sorts of things to sabotage the car but it still went on until I pulled the fuel filter and clogged the carb and killed the motor. No problem though, I only paid $250 for the thing.

The next car was a 1974 Monte Carlo, the long, BIG, two round headlights in the front kind. It had a 350 V8 and this thing could smoke the tires up like it was nobodys business. It seems that the most fun thing to do back then was to spin the tires. What kids do that now in all the 4-cylinder front wheel drivers nowadays? What fun is that anyway? The car had a broken windshield but was fun to drive, just attatch some plates on it, didn't matter where or who's they were, just put them on and drive. Nowadays, not for a second, but the mid-80's were definitely a different time, at least for me and the gang. I ended up trading the car for a car amplifier/equalizer and that was about it. I probably paid $250 for it.

One of my favorites as a Subaru, some GL 2-door beater, like a 1979. Thing had this transverse or flat 4 and the spare tire was mounted on top of the engine. I went to the junkyard and got some 70 series tires and the little car handled pretty good and the car never gave me any trouble in all the time I had the thing. After all, the mid-late 80's supercars like the Trans-Ams, Camaro's and Mustangs and even the Vettes only had 60's. I paid a lot for this car and I don't know why, like $600 from some used car dealership that I'd walk by on my way home from my dishwashing job. I think I killed that car by plowing through a big ice puddle one winters night and the car either drank water or the cold shock broke the block because the car never ran right after that.

As one can never go back, these really were my favorite cars. I do love my truck I have now because it lets me do all the things I need to do/tow or haul what I need to haul, but something about those cheap cars, those carefree times, that young age before drinking was legal but in VT back then one only had to be 18 so we'd truck to VT every now and then just so someone could buy up that way, but good you asked.
BassyiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote