View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun04
The whole thing.....
Oh sure, so you can steal it and bring world peace all on your own?

Granted, many of the problems in the Middle East pre-date the USA by a few thousand years...but the current environment has been shaped and dramatically influenced by Western and Asian free markets and governments.

Additionally, it's precisely our dependence on energy that empowers Middle Eastern leaders to silence their people and use centuries old tensions to distract them from self empowered solutions.

Look at what happened in Dubai. They ran out of oil, opened up their markets and whamo, they are a comercial success.

The people feel they have been shafted the past 60 years, buy the West and by their own leaders...and to be honest, they do have a point.

The only option many have is to weigh a radical and progressive option being sold under the guise of Sharia Law.

So this may not be a comprehensive solution...but some quick thoughts.

Believe it or not, in principal I do agree with some neoconservative thinking.

American leadership would be a stabalizing force throughout the world, but to do so forcefully without the guiding reason of our founding fathers...which is exactly what we've been doing the past 6 years ...is proving and will continue to be a disaster.

We must confront our pending energy crisis to remove the crutch of brutal and oppressive regimes.

We must end containment based foreign policy to bring rouge nations and groups into the Global economy.

We must always lead by example as our moral high ground is perhaps our most valuable asset. It allows us to act with impunity when it is necessary...but like Austin Powers mojo, it's tragically lost...and we're nearly impotent.

As I said in my rant the other day, the solution to many of our problems lies in the magic that's America, but we're to terrified by our own leadership to see it.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote