View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 12:12 PM   #46
Parker650

Just my $0.02...

"There is no way we can go back to the way it was before man meddled, but we can certainly use knowledge, science, and responsibility to stregthen certain habitats by introducing forage species and predator species that will flourish without dramatically altering or harming in any way that particular ecosystem."

Can you honestly say that EXTENSIVE knowledge has been gained over the last 6-7 years that these fish have been 'developed' to come to a solid, definitive answer that these fish won't displace an ecosystem? Even though man may have altered what was native prior to us messing with it does not make it ok to do so presently. Why not preserve what we have and prevent any further impacts by not messing with our ecosystem at all? We already know the issues that have come up, why even entertain this. Preserve is the key, not introducing other species to manipulate an ecosystem that we feel is 'flourishing' with our idea of good species. I think people should start re-thinking and putting their efforts into re-habilitating rivers, ponds, whatever to promote what thrives there naturally. Maybe what is there wasn't native 1000 years ago, but it certainly isn't going to do us any good by changing what is here now any more.

"We can certainly use knowledge, science, and responsibility to stregthen certain habitats by introducing forage species and predator species that will flourish without dramatically altering or harming in any way that particular ecosystem."

You could achieve this easily...go fishing in your own aquarium.

"This fish has been used in many states with freshwater bodies for some time now, and it has only improved the fishing. Recreational fishing is a 60 billion $$ plus economy with well over 40 million participants. These fish will take great pressure off a strained baitfish population, a good thing as pogies, eels, and herring are in serious trouble."

I find it ironic that your statement of how these fish have improved fishing is supported by economic $$$ numbers. This is why we are where we are today. Man will use/abuse any resource available on this earth to make a $ and can justify it because of the $$$ to be had in doing so. Stop thinking in terms of money and start thinking in terms of natural ecosystems. Yes they have been manipulated by us. No they won't be any better if we keep messing with them. ANY non-native fish introduced into an ecosystem WILL displace that ecosystem. There is no way around it. Those fish have to eat and take up space. They will have an impact and will effect other organisms within that system, one way or the other.

Seems to me like there is $$$ behind this motive. I'm not buying it...I'll second the vote for plugs.