View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 08:50 AM   #14
CaptDom

Hey Bryan,

Thanks for the congrat wishes, You probably threw countless casts there all year, I was just in the right place right time. That fish had 2 trailers with it, so keep at it later in the year, you might get 1 of his buddies! There was a big run of larger fish that whole week, I got mine the night before that big noreaster.

Navy Chief, I understand your concerns, but this fish would have an extremely difficult time establishing itself in any body of water where a predatory fish resides. There are situations where non native species can actually benefit an ecosystem. Take for the prime example, the Large and Small mouth basses. These are actually members of the sunfish family, and due to their popularity, were introduced as non native species all over the world, with great success. The striped bass has been introduced to many larger freshwater impoundments with great success as well, and these are predatory, top of the food chain fish. People need to understand that man has already imbalanced the natural distribution of ecosystems on land and in water, so almost all habitats have some sort of non native species in it. There is no way we can go back to the way it was before man meddled, but we can certainly use knowledge, science, and responsibility to stregthen certain habitats by introducing forage species and predator species that will flourish without dramatically altering or harming in any way that particular ecosystem. These fish would only help supply forage if by some dramatic circumstances were introduced, whether purposely or by accident into fresh water.( A scenario that in my opinion would be very very unlikely)

This fish has been used in many states with freshwater bodies for some time now, and it has only improved the fishing. Recreational fishing is a 60 billion $$ plus economy with well over 40 million participants. These fish will take great pressure off a strained baitfish population, a good thing as pogies, eels, and herring are in serious trouble.