View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 08:46 AM   #8
outfished

I hate to say it but back in 60's and 70's New Orleans was about 70% white, affluent people. Since then the class has reversed itself, now about 70% black and poor. The amount of money going back into the local infrastucture has been dramatically decreased. On top of that, the feds the past 30 years have called shoreing up and improving the levy systems a "pork barrell" issue. Now that the chit as has hit the fan, do you think the poor souls in New Orleans consider this a pork barrell issue? I can certainly understand looting for survival, water, food and clothing, but plasma monitors, jewelry and the emptying of gun shops is just plain wrong. An engineering expert last night mentioned the levy system could be improved to withstand a cat5 hurricane for about the price of the big dig project but because these levy systems are situated in poor neighborhoods, that is not likely to happen anytime soon. Sure you can blame the current administration to some degree, but I haven't heard much from Kennedy and Kerry either. Sad sad sad....

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
outfished is offline   Reply With Quote