View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 01:00 AM   #23
Billy 40

Interesting post. For a quick update, as if anyone cares - I dumped all my Madeira and am replacing it with Sulky, YLI/Fishhawk & Superior metallic threads. I've used each one of these companies, and the only one which has finish issues are the Madiera metalics (their Polyneon cannot be beat for butt wraps, and I'll be using it more an d more on guides his year - already have it on 2 rods).

All 4 of these companies produce almost identical threads. The colors are very close to one antother, all are aboutthe same diameter, all have that slight stretch, all resist flaking and peeling like Gudebrod.

What's wierd about the MAdiera, is it seems to vary from color to color, spool to spool. The Cobalt I had was just awful - it was like mixing oil & water, but the Aluminum & Gold colors were pretty much Ok except once in a while they would act up. I tried all finishes on them, and go tthe same results, which is why I decided to sell them & rplace with the other brands which gave me no finish issues.

Not to mention they all have more colors than Madeira metallics, and a few different ones in teh Gay color plate whic I love, lol. Rose, Cranberry, lilac, Mauve, etc.
Billy 40 is offline   Reply With Quote