View Single Post
Old 01-11-2023, 08:45 AM   #184
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Of course their are unelected bureaucrats in DC we have a supreme court full of them

Not sure why unelected maters when the position . Doesn’t require it

Of course the GOP won’t name these unelected positions and would they just replace them with other unelected people?who have pledged allegiance to them not the nation?

To answer you question as I understand it.

Federal bureaucrats don’t make policy they interpret laws and apply the rules and make decisions because congress has empowered them to do.

The reason judges seem to be making policies is the congress won’t fix what’s broken and some courts like the SJC. Are accepting cases they should be refusing. So state’s attorney keep going back because their nonsensical arguments keep being entertained

We have a court taking a case based on a woman’s business

That only exists on paper?

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
"Of course their are unelected bureaucrats in DC we have a supreme court full of them

Not sure why unelected maters when the position . Doesn’t require it"

I guess I didn't say it well. If someone isn't elected, that means "we the people" can't vote them out, which means they are not answerable to us. That's why they should not be setting policy. Especially supreme court judges who are there for life, that's exactly why my side likes to say "they shouldn't legislate from the bench", because we have no mechanism to keep them in check. That would be totalitarian. Setting laws and policies were meant to only be the purview of people who are elected by us. The job of unelected bureaucrats is to implement policy, not to create it. If you think about it, it's very logical and democratic. In a democracy, policies and laws should only be created by those who are directly answerable to us.

Obviously in the real world there are grey areas. But we should strive for that ideal, not venture too far away from it.

I'm not a thoughtless conspiracy nut. You know that I believe Biden won fair and square. But I do believe there are unelected people out there, who have bene there way too long, who have way too much power. That's what MAGA folk refer to as "the swamp". It's healthy to keep that to a minimum.

"Federal bureaucrats don’t make policy"

They aren't supposed to. Sometimes it ends up happening though. That's what happened when SCOTUS legalized abortion, that was obviously legislating from the bench. When the attorney general decides that parents protesting school board meetings are committing a federal crime. Anthony Faucci had too much power. Lobbyists have too much power (like the NRA, for example). Defense contractors have too much power.

I'm not saying everything is completely broken. I think it can be improved.

But it won't be improved. The GOP likes to talk, they don't always like delivering.