View Single Post
Old 07-12-2022, 04:11 PM   #3
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Did you just assume his gender??
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
men can get pregnant.....

Senator Hawley: “Professor Bridges … you’ve referred to ‘people with the capacity for pregnancy.’ Would that be women?”

Bridges: “Many women, cis-women have the capacity for pregnancy. Many cis-women do not have the capacity for pregnancy. There are also trans men who capable of pregnancy, as well as non-binary people who are capable of pregnancy.”

Hawley: “So this isn’t really a women’s rights issue…”

Bridges: “We can recognize that this impacts women while all recognizing that it impacts other groups. Those things are not mutually exclusive, Senator Hawley.”

Hawley: “Your view is … is that the core of this right, then, is about what?”

Bridges: “I want to recognize that your line of questioning is transphobic and it opens up trans people to violence by not recognizing them.”

Hawley: “Wow, you’re saying I’m opening up people to violence by asking whether or not women are the folks who can have pregnancies?”

Bridges: “I want to note that one out of five transgender persons have attempted suicide.”

Hawley: “Because of my line of questioning? So we can’t talk about it?”

Bridges: “Because denying that trans people exist, and pretending that not to know that they exist…”

Hawley: “I’m denying that trans people exist by asking you if you’re talking about women having pregnancies?”

Bridges: “Do you believe that men can get pregnant?”

Hawley: “No, I don’t think men can get pregnant.”

Bridges: “So you are denying that trans people exist.”