View Single Post
Old 01-19-2022, 04:17 PM   #11
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
MLK 3rd has explained it more than once, “Yes, we should judge people by the content of the character and not the color of their skin — but that is when we have a true, just, humane society where there are no biases, where there is no racism, where there is no discrimination,” Martin Luther King III said. “Unfortunately, all of these things still exist.”
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
From this quote, the 3rd doesn't seem nearly as mentally sharp nor as linguistically competent as his forebear. I don't recall senior expressing a desire for utopia, except in his Christian heaven. Judging people by the content of their character is dependent on personal biases followed by a judgmental discrimination as a result of those biases.

I don't think MLK wanted us to wait for some perfection of man before "racial justice" could be achieved. I suppose that he knew there would always be evil expressing itself in the mass of humanity. I guess that, if he was not a hypocrite, something approaching that perfection would be required for entry into heaven (and that not many would get there), but not be necessary in a just, earthly, society.

I think the "justice" he sought was in the legal, cultural, and societal makeup of the nation in which he dreamed that his "four little children will one day live in." He did not expect everyone in that society to be righteous. I believe, contrary to the 3rd's desire, "all these [evil] things [will always] exist."

Last edited by detbuch; 01-19-2022 at 05:13 PM..