View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 11:21 PM   #10
Karl F

Bummer

Keep the faith though Mike! As rough as it sounds, and even though I have never met you, I think you are tough and dedicated enough to get through this OK!

My son blew out his ACL, did a 3/4 radius tear of his medial miniscus, did a minor tear of his patelar tendon, damaged his kneecap, and strained his MCL on Sept 19, 2002, 6 games into his 3rd year of Varsity Soccer.

Had the hamstring graft to repair his ACL, and the surgeon at NE Baptist repaired his miniscus with biologically disolving screws, on Oct. 9, 2002. Therapy began the night after surgery, with a continuous motion machine in the bed, that he could control with a remote. Several long months of intense therapy, and he was back playing club soccer, for the spring season beginning end of April 2003, with an ACL brace. He dedicated to therapy, and strength training to build his quad and calf muscles to compensate for the weakened knee. Played some summer league, and went to pre season for his senior year, and ran the 2 mile in 11:38, only 8 seconds slower than year prior.
He plays sweeper, (back), and plays the full 90 minutes, stopped wearing the brace on Sept. 19 this year, (his way of celebrating the anniversary), and ran the 2 mile in 11:23. His school team, the smallest in Division 1, finished with a 20-1-2 record, and allowed only 4 goals. He is now being recruited by a some good colleges, (I hope this works out!), and seems to have no permanent effects.. although, when he kids me about how I creak and crack when I get up, I tell him you just wait boy!

I guess, what I am trying to say to you Mike is hang tough, and give it your best shot!

Hope you make out OK.
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote