View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 11:29 PM   #8
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo View Post
Doesn't NEED to be tied to anything, but If I'm in the water and NEED a throwable tossed to me, I hope to god it is.

Picture this:
Windy, rough, cold. Your kid for some freak reason is not wearing his PFD, goes over, you toss a throwable and it blows away. Now you have NO throwable. The wind/waves make it tough to get along side him (disregarding a spinning prop). So maybe you jump in to save his life (not thinking or not able to have a line tied to you and the boat) . Now you AND your son are separated from a boat carried by the wind/current.

Seconds matter when the unexpected happens.
I'm glad you brought this scenario up, I'm going to pass on the fact that my kids are in pfds 100% of the time and that I'm trying to do the same as an example. Your example does highlight the picture Ross had of a rigid throwable with a rope.

My boat doesn't have room for that and for "god's sake" I am not boating in conditions to place my family in that situation. However, you are very correct the unexpected is guaranteed to happen.

We were anchored in Cape Poge bay last week on MV and i should have just tied a line off the rear cleat to toss to anyone. My wife said I think we drifted a lot since we stopped (not anchored) we had not moved more than 15ft. So then I anchored. It was slack inside the bay, and the tide began to drop. At this point, the kids had already been swimming a half hour, and when my wife finally got in and out I said hey why don't you go get our son who's drifting away. I felt like I was speaking Spanish.

I bet a lot of people could not throw a rigid throwable and line to save a life much like a cast net.

Thank you Jfig. I'm going to invent room for this.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote