View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #117
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Unfortunately, there’s no trick.

Yeah, there is a trick. Your supposedly parallel construction ("Republicans are running for office, they are white supremacists, neo nazis, holocaust deniers, anti Semitic and some, I assume, are good people") starts with an all inclusive noun "Republicans." Trump's statement did not have this kind of all inclusive noun such as "Mexicans." In fact, Trump qualified any assumed reference to Mexicans twice in that short statement. He said those he was referring to were not "the best" of the population. It is a sarcastic term of art that actually implies that what is referred to is actually "the worst." So it is obvious, if you're honest about it, that he was not referring to a major part of the Mexican population. And then he qualified it even further with saying even among those illegally crossing were some "good people." "Some" could mean any ratio of those from most to least. "Some" is not "all." And his statement was in the context that it wasn't just good folks seeking a better life that were crossing, but also those "worse" he mentioned which were a problem that called for a solution.

And your phony comparison was ridiculous to begin with, not founded on an actual situation. More self-defeating, it ended with something actually parallel to Trump's remark: "and some, I assume, are good people" which, in itself, destroys your trick of making it look like what you said was about all Republicans. Just as it destroyed any notion that Trump was talking about all Mexicans.

The verbal tricks or innuendoes are consistent in Trump’s speech.
He’s very good at it.
And he has scared many people with his rhetoric.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
You'll have to be a bit more specific. He has said a lot of things. Including some pretty good stuff. Anyway, your verbal tricks or innuendoes are consistent with most of your comments about Trump. As I've said before, you're a lot like what you think Trump is.