View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #25
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
This is partially true. They did not use the words "Open Borders", they tip-toed around that, so we'll break it down
It's an important consideration as the words "Open Borders" do not have a specific meaning which could lead a radical to twist the issue into a pretzel and proclaim something really silly like "All of the candidates support allowing anyone to come across the border to remain in the USA"

Quote:
They all raised their hands with Uncle Joe being the least committed. Follow the link for the individual comments but they all supported it fully, or significantly with few caveats
I think it's the morally right thing to do to make sure a pregnant woman or child has access to healthcare regardless of their status. Most developed nations with government run healthcare have provisions for eligibility which I'd assume we would as well but it would likely require more comprehensive immigration reform.

Quote:
For the next 7 minutes the candidates, in their own words, stated that people that crossed the border illegally would not be deported. Some indicated if there was a criminal record they might be but mostly it was answers to allow anyone in.
There's a big difference between allowing "anyone in" versus being selective on who you deport. Obama had this dialed in pretty well before Trump came in and created chaos.

Quote:
So, anyone that comes here will be provided Free Healthcare, and anyone that comes here illegally (with few exceptions) can come in. Ergo: All of the candidates support allowing anyone to come across the border to remain in the USA.
They will receive full healthcare
They can stay
I think it would be more appropriate to call it "Funded Healthcare" than free as undocumented immigrants would still be contributing through the billions of taxes they pay today.

Quote:
BTW - I am OK with some DACA and I am OK with healthcare for all provided it can de done AFTER a balanced budget that does not cripple the economy, defense, or existing incomes.
DACA is a no brainer. The healthcare and defense industries are bloated with profit centers, we can drive the economy with development and environmental innovation...it's not impossible to fix this.