View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #49
Fergal
Drew

i just see no reason to use a locking wrap based on my past experiences. i've been building rods for 30 years at this point, many with single foots and i've never had a single issue with a plain'ol wrap. imho, it's just extra work for something that's isn't all that useful. that doesn't mean something can't happen, doesn't mean it won't, just that it hasn't happened to me to warrant doing anything different.

i'm not too worried about the single foot guides while fishing. the only time that i've had an issue with a guide breaking or getting damaged is when i've fallen on the rocks with a rod. if i take a header, single/double - it probably won't matter too much at that point.... the biggest risk will be in/out of the truck and the ceiling racks in the garage. i have a tacoma with a cap, i do have a rack up top but any extra rods are always inside. the risk will be banging them around then.

i'm also curious to see how it will work in the real world. 30-45 minutes test casting (while positive) doesn't mean a heck of a lot. i will also say, this rod probably isn't going to be the goto when its crappy so i'm not too concerned about various crosswinds, etc. i did throw it the other day with the wind (there was a lot) and i did not notice any issues. i did spend more time out of the wind but that was mainly trying to video it to see if i had any issues with the line. i couldn't see anything significant (fwiw the slo-mo camera on the iphone was very helpful. with a second person i probably would've gotten some good video.)

this build kind of went the opposite with guides and location. the stripper is out a little farther than typical and i have 1 less guide vs previous 11' (my 1327 has 9 as does the 1321). this one has 8.

i should get the guides on sat and hopefully the first coat of finish as well. if i'm lucky i will finish sunday, worst case on tues on my day off. a few days for a final cure then maybe play around with it next weekend.
Fergal is offline   Reply With Quote