Thread: NC bathroom law
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #109
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Jim, you're falling back on the same failed logic opponents of same sex marriage used for decades...if you let two gay people marry it's anything goes.

There are plenty of states with anti-discrimination laws and you can't cite any meaningful increase in complaints. Rather, your position is simply being informed by your bias which if enacted into law conflicts with some people's civil rights...

Yep.
"Jim, you're falling back on the same failed logic opponents of same sex marriage used for decades...if you let two gay people marry it's anything goes"

Where to begin.

(1) gay marriage is brand new, so no one can say i fit will lead to "anything goes" yet. However, if the notion that the sexes is arbitrary, why can't I say that it being limited to 2 people, is also arbitrary? There isn't a single arguent you can make in favor of gay marriage, that can not also be made in favor of polygamy (I support gay marriage, however).

(2) if someone who is gay claims to be gay, they are not claiming to be something they are not. When a man claims to be a woman, he is as wrong as I would be if I said I was a bird. You cannot choose to change your chromosomes.

"There are plenty of states with anti-discrimination laws and you can't cite any meaningful increase in complaints"

Nor can you refute it. Please tell me where I am wrong, when I say that these laws make it easier for perverts to stroll in there. It's way too new to have any visible effect on data. We weren't talking about this 2 years ago.

"Rather, your position is simply being informed by your bias"

Not bias. Common sense. I have deep empathy for these people and want them to be happy.

"which if enacted into law conflicts with some people's civil rights..."

100%, demonstrably false. Read the Civil Rights Act, and please tell us where you see a single syllable about gender identity. It prevents discrimination based on "sex". As I showed you in an earlier post, one's sex is determined at birth (maybe at conception?) by thje chromosomes., and that never changes.