View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #170
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
appeasement the favorite Conservative buzz word when we cant do what we want to do in someone else's country

appeasement definition. A political policy of conceding to aggression by a warlike nation.

Respecting a countries border's and their sovereignty is not appeasement
Good catch. That was a sloppy use of the word "appeasement" on my part. Should have used a more accurate description. Something more suggesting concession or compromise. As in compromising the security of Americans in order to get along or in order to not appear to be humiliating or bullying or insulting (to the Libyans).

Didn't occur to me appeasement was a conservative buzz word. Do only non-conservatives use appeasement to mean appeasement?

As for respecting Libya's sovereignty, it depends on what the Benghazi compound was officially considered to be. It was quite often referred to in the Press as a consulate or diplomatic mission. As such it would have been immune to local laws. And if it wasn't either of those two things, what the heck was it? We had an Ambassador operating there.

Some conspiracy theorists claim it was actually a CIA operation doing secret things that we're not supposed to know about. And that the State dept. is taking flack in order to cover for the CIA. I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

What is for sure is that it was a bungle. As was found to be the case in the lots of "investigations." Not a feather in the cap of one who is running for President.

Wait a minute. I rechecked my use of appeasement. I said "an attempt to appease the sensitivities of Libyans". "Appease the sensitivities" was used as a personally concocted term of art. And it was in that manner that I said " that type of appeasement." It's OK to do that if we're not strictly using legal terminology.

Last edited by detbuch; 02-13-2016 at 12:07 AM..