View Single Post
Old 11-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #27
Jim in CT

I agree 100% that everyone benefits from being taught how to solve problems, to think critically, and to communicate effectively.

I categorigally reject the notion that kids routinely acquire these skills, by being forced to take liberal arts courses at college. If someone designed an undergraduate class to teach these exact skills, it would be a great class. That's not what gets taught.

Proof? The link in my first post. College kids want college to be free, and at the same time, they want minimum wage on campus increased to $15. Now, by what logic can you make something "free", by increasing its fixed cost?

Look at what happened at Yale this week. A professor had the chutzpah to tell his students that the right to free speech gives others the right to express themselves in a way that they may find offensive. That's undeniably true. How did the students react? They went berserk, because they have never been taught how to deal with challenges to what they believe.

Look at guest speakers invited to prestigious schools. Abu Mumia Jamal and Bill Ayers are welcome guests. If Ann Coulter or even Condaleeza Rice is invited to speak, everyone goes berserk.

I could not invent better evidence of the lack of thought that takes place, then exactly what's happening on college campuses this week.