View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMEUPSCOTTY View Post
Not exactly up to speed on this, but where I work union membership is not required, and the union is required to represent non-members. If I was a non-member I would not expect their best effort however...
There is a list on the bulletin board of non-members, and members are encouraged to discuss the benefits of membership with the people on the list...
I know one guy on that list that has a sketchy past history with our employer including a separation. (details are hazy, he won't discuss it). Our local president put in a lot of time and effort on his behalf and was successful in getting the guy over 1000 hours of sick leave back that he lost due to the separation...

Guy still won't join the union!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
"the union is required to represent non-members"
There was a federal labor lawyer on TV last night, who said there re no laws that would require that unions represent non-members. Interesting.

Those who pay no dues, have no right to any benefits provided by the union. But no one should be forced to join a union as a condition of unemployment, especially in the public sector. Can't be a teacher unless you join a union, meaning part of your paycheck goes to elect Democrats, and part of your paycheck goes to Planned Parenthood? Ridiculous.