Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Pope- death penalty bad (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=94004)

zimmy 08-02-2018 03:42 PM

Pope- death penalty bad

Https://www.reuters.com/article/us-p...-idUSKBN1KN1EQ

Curious if any Catholics or other Christians disagree with this.

spence 08-02-2018 04:23 PM

I think Jim has stated multiple times he's against it so this thread is pretty much DOA.

Personally I never really was in favor. I don't believe there's any data that shows it's a deterrent, it costs a hell of a lot more than life in prison and there have been many death row cases reversed on new evidence.

wdmso 08-02-2018 04:47 PM

Working in state prison and adult detox there is no deterrent on planet earth that will stop a junkies from shooting up or murders from killing ( most murders are personal) rational thought is absence in theses people at the moment they act . The death penalty is for on lookers .. it’s policy to show being tough on crime it’s been that way thru the ages have it don’t have it I am good with either choice.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe 08-02-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1148147)
I think Jim has stated multiple times he's against it so this thread is pretty much DOA.

Personally I never really was in favor. I don't believe there's any data that shows it's a deterrent, it costs a hell of a lot more than life in prison and there have been many death row cases reversed on new evidence.

Just do what North Korea does. Put the criminal in front of an anti aircraft cannon. $20 a shell.

Jim in CT 08-02-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1148147)

I used to flip flop, but settled many years ago on opposing it. But I sure see both sides of the argument. But I like life, and I don't like the un-reversability if there's a mistake, as you astutely pointed out. That's the best argument against it.

Catholics are kind of all over the place. The church has long thought the death penalty was a sad choice, but opposition has never been a binding belief of catholics, the way we are bound to believe Jesus was the son of God. I don't know if this changes that, but I'm not sure it's a massive change.

zimmy 08-02-2018 08:43 PM

I go back and forth on it too. It is always an issue of emotion, though. I don't believe the deterrent aspect either, or if there is one, it doesn't outweigh the mistake aspect. I am not Catholic, but have spent plenty of time at Mass over the years and I like this pope. He seems to promote the spirit of kindness, charity, etc. that Jesus was supposed too be about.

The Dad Fisherman 08-02-2018 09:50 PM

If you can't be a be a productive, well behaved member of society, then the planet is better off without you, throw the switch.

zimmy 08-02-2018 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1148163)
If you can't be a be a productive, well behaved member of society, then the planet is better off without you, throw the switch.

Not surprised...

The Dad Fisherman 08-03-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zimmy (Post 1148167)
Not surprised...

I suppose you want to give them a hug and a reusable straw.

Nebe 08-03-2018 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1148163)

How productive are you??? The jury is still deliberating on that one.

zimmy 08-03-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1148189)
I suppose you want to give them a hug and a reusable straw.

No, I want to lock them up for life and when evidence shows that some of them were mistakenly convicted, we wont have to dig up their ashes and try to reincarnate them. Pretty radical liberal of me, I know. I don't feel the need to pretend to be a tough guy, but I understand some suffer from the Irish curse and do :banano:.

Sea Dangles 08-03-2018 12:11 PM

A good example being the marathon bomber, seems cut and dried. Let’s eliminate him. Why is that unfair?

Sea Dangles 08-03-2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zimmy (Post 1148194)
No, I want to lock them up for life and when evidence shows that some of them were mistakenly convicted, we wont have to dig up their ashes and try to reincarnate them. Pretty radical liberal of me, I know. I don't feel the need to pretend to be a tough guy, but I understand some suffer from the Irish curse and do :banano:.

How do you know what TDF is packing for cock?

First hand knowledge or are you just an expert there too?

spence 08-03-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1148210)
A good example being the marathon bomber, seems cut and dried. Let’s eliminate him. Why is that unfair?

And make him a martyr? Good plan.

Sea Dangles 08-03-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1148213)

So you admit we have a problem with Islamic extremists?

zimmy 08-03-2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1148212)

I said some feel the need. I didn't say he has it. You would have a far better shot at knowing than I. I wouldnt know him if he walked past me with a straw sticking out of his craw.

Sea Dangles 08-03-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zimmy (Post 1148217)
I said some feel the need. I didn't say he has it. You would have a far better shot at knowing than I. I wouldnt know him if he walked past me with a straw sticking out of his craw.

Just stare at his nutbag,when you get the green light then get the courage to make your move. Good luck

spence 08-03-2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1148216)
So you admit we have a problem with Islamic extremists?

Not a big problem in this country, not right now at least. Always be vigilant for all threats should be the policy, not single out groups just to stoke fear.

zimmy 08-03-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1148220)
Just stare at his nutbag,when you get the green light then get the courage to make your move. Good luck

You should probably keep your fantasies to yourself. This is a public forum.

Sea Dangles 08-03-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zimmy (Post 1148224)
You should probably keep your fantasies to yourself. This is a public forum.

That didn’t stop you from bringing up penis.

Sea Dangles 08-03-2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1148221)
Not a big problem in this country, not right now at least. Always be vigilant for all threats should be the policy, not single out groups just to stoke fear.

The best policy is to leave religion out of the equation and make judgement based on merit. Too bad you have succumbed to the fear based politics Jeff. I thought you were above that.

spence 08-03-2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1148226)
The best policy is to leave religion out of the equation and make judgement based on merit. Too bad you have succumbed to the fear based politics Jeff. I thought you were above that.

That's pretty much what I just said. As for not making him a martyr, to not weigh cost/benefit in a high profile case like that would be irresponsible.

Sea Dangles 08-03-2018 01:45 PM

Actually,it’s not. You want to tailor our justice system based on ethnic origin. Isn’t that why you mentioned martyrdom?

spence 08-03-2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1148237)
Actually,it’s not. You want to tailor our justice system based on ethnic origin. Isn’t that why you mentioned martyrdom?

Not at all.

scottw 08-03-2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1148213)

As for not making him a martyr, to not weigh cost/benefit in a high profile case like that would be irresponsible.

this is stupid on so many levels....

spence 08-03-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1148248)
this is stupid on so many levels....

That's just because you haven't thought yet.

Jim in CT 08-03-2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1148210)

it’s not the least bit unfair.

The Dad Fisherman 08-03-2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1148212)

Same way I know Zimmy wears tighty whiteys and why he hates bacon :hihi:

https://youtu.be/9gLN3QoN-q8