Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   when a liberal quotes the Bible (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=74174)

scottw 11-03-2011 08:00 AM

when a liberal quotes the Bible

not all together different from what you get when a liberal "quotes" the Constitution

From today’s WH briefing:

MR. CARNEY: Well, I believe the phrase from the Bible* is, “The Lord helps those who help themselves.” And I think the point the President is making is that we should -- we have it within our capacity to do the things to help the American people.

The White House adds in the official transcript:
* This common phrase does not appear in the Bible.

talk about convoluted.....this is a classic:uhuh:

detbuch 11-03-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 897978)
not all together different from what you get when a liberal "quotes" the Constitution

From today’s WH briefing:

MR. CARNEY: Well, I believe the phrase from the Bible* is, “The Lord helps those who help themselves.” And I think the point the President is making is that we should -- we have it within our capacity to do the things to help the American people.

The White House adds in the official transcript:
* This common phrase does not appear in the Bible.

talk about convoluted.....this is a classic:uhuh:

But wait . . .aside from his misquoting the Bible (similar, as you say, to progressive liberals saying the Constitution says things it doesn't say) . . . maybe by "we" he meant, not his administration or the Federal Government, but the American People. So . . . maybe . . . he meant that we, the American People, have it within our capacity to do the things to help the American people . . . ergo the Lord will help the American People if they use their capacity to help themselves. Or . . . maybe he did mean the "we" to be the Federal Government which has the capacity to help the American People to help themselves and thereby add to the Lord's capacity to help people who help themselves by bringing to Him an American People who otherwise would not have been able to help themselves . . . sort of a gift to the Lord by giving Him another opportunity to practice His capacity to do His work. Nah. It does say in the Bible "By their fruits you shall know them." Pretty much, the fruits of Progressivism are greater dependence on government and nothing to do with the Lord.

RIROCKHOUND 11-03-2011 03:31 PM

Next time he Carney should just bust into 'Amazing Grace'

detbuch 11-03-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 898102)
Next time he Carney should just bust into 'Amazing Grace'

And could preface it as a song from the Bible.