Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Town cutbacks (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=71087)

Raider Ronnie 05-16-2011 06:06 PM

Town cutbacks

Reading the "TIVERTON PAYT" tread about trash bags cost figured I would throw this question out.
What cuts have your town imposed ?

My town (Wrentham Ma. ) started with the pay $2 for trash bags atleast 5 years ago.
Last year they went around and shut off 1/2 the street gights to save electricty.
Not sure how long ago they stopped an oil recycling program (which I'm pretty sure made $)
I know there are many other things that have been cut back that I'm not coming up with right now.
We got emails the latest thing thats coming is if you live within 2 miles of a school not more school bus rides.

BigFish 05-16-2011 06:10 PM

I notice many towns are cutting back on doing any re-paving of crappy roads???:fury::ss:

BigBo 05-16-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 858901)
I notice many towns are cutting back on doing any re-paving of crappy roads???:fury::ss:

Especially in Rockland. I swear we have had the worst roads in Plymouth County for years and now there isn't a prayers chance in getting them repaired.

Raider Ronnie 05-16-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBo (Post 858904)
Especially in Rockland. I swear we have had the worst roads in Plymouth County for years and now there isn't a prayers chance in getting them repaired.

Maybe a few selectmen/women own tire & or front end alignment shops

BigBo 05-16-2011 06:29 PM

My street alone will take 10 years off any front end. :smash:
You could be right.

GregW 05-16-2011 08:01 PM

bunch of stuff.

Latest one I saw that I wasnt expecting, the library is open less and closed some days.

Hookedagain 05-16-2011 09:00 PM

Pay for the trash bags and be happy they are not cutting the police and fire. I know its a different state but one town away in Fall River 44 firefighter and 36 police were laid off. Firefighters for 8 month and some police are not back yet. Then after getting my job back, they took 8% of my pay. It took us 11 years to get that 8% and it was gone with the stroke of a pen. I'm fortunate to have a job....but my mortgage didn't go down 8%.

Raider Ronnie 05-17-2011 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookedagain (Post 858961)
Pay for the trash bags and be happy they are not cutting the police and fire. I know its a different state but one town away in Fall River 44 firefighter and 36 police were laid off. Firefighters for 8 month and some police are not back yet. Then after getting my job back, they took 8% of my pay. It took us 11 years to get that 8% and it was gone with the stroke of a pen. I'm fortunate to have a job....but my mortgage didn't go down 8%.

In my town they can cut the the police & fire budgets as far as I'm concerned. We got way too many on the forces now.
No one in town can understand why we have a 3/4 million $ ladder truck and not 1 building high enough to need it !
Most towns out my way the fire depts have to out do the next town with more, nicer & newer equipment.

The Dad Fisherman 05-17-2011 07:22 AM

Georgetown you have 2 options for trash....take it to the dump....or pay a private company to pick it up.... we pay for pickup.

we just had a 2 1/2 overide voted in for the schools....so property taxes are going up about a hundred a month

basswipe 05-17-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookedagain (Post 858961)

I'll never be happy to keep paying for the financial irresponsibility of my town.$2 for A garbage bag is outrageous,that same two bucks gets me the same bag other than color and town name on it for .10cents a bag at BJs.In the end our garbage won't be picked up without recycling bins present as it was before PAYT.Don't forget we already pay a very hefty tax for pickup,even if you go to the landfill you still pay that tax.

If the the towns and cities would stop being so irresponsible with taxpayers money there'd be no need to lay off any town/city workers.

buckman 05-17-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie (Post 858997)
In my town they can cut the the police & fire budgets as far as I'm concerned. We got way too many on the forces now.
No one in town can understand why we have a 3/4 million $ ladder truck and not 1 building high enough to need it !
Most towns out my way the fire depts have to out do the next town with more, nicer & newer equipment.

Some towns got Homeland and Security grants and bought a bunch of stuff they won't ever use...hover craft and such.

If I ever have to pay for trash here in Mansfield I'll be pissed, We have the best of everything...school fields landscaped by pros with sprinkler systems..a track we keep lighted for the hell of it ...new buildings..trucks... you name it. But now the schools may have to let a few teachers go.

RIROCKHOUND 05-18-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 859009)
Georgetown you have 2 options for trash....take it to the dump....or pay a private company to pick it up.... we pay for pickup.

we just had a 2 1/2 overide voted in for the schools....so property taxes are going up about a hundred a month

wakefield (RI) as well.
Recycling is free (and technically, mandatory) but trash is commercial (Waste Haulers). I know it is more expensive than $2 a bag given the size bag you guys are describing, and that is with a kid....

RIJIMMY 05-18-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 859346)
wakefield (RI) as well.
Recycling is free (and technically, mandatory) but trash is commercial (Waste Haulers). I know it is more expensive than $2 a bag given the size bag you guys are describing, and that is with a kid....

I would just dump my garbage behind the Glass Station.