Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Incredible skin replacement for burn victims... (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=69002)

JohnnyD 02-02-2011 11:37 AM

Incredible skin replacement for burn victims...

Just saw this video from NatGeo. Basically, this guy was at a party. Someone through gasoline onto a bonfire and he got scorched. They used a new stem cell technology to literally spray his own harvested stem cells onto the burn site. Today, the skin looks almost flawless.

YouTube - The Skin Gun

JohnR 02-02-2011 11:41 AM

WOW

5/0 02-02-2011 11:55 AM

Man thats crazy technology,just think about how many lives will be saved.
I wonder how long it will take before that hits main stream.

JohnnyD 02-02-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5/0 (Post 833356)
Man thats crazy technology,just think about how many lives will be saved.
I wonder how long it will take before that hits main stream.

What's that saying about burns? It's not the burn that kills you but the infection after.

Who knows, maybe this is just one spectacular case - a 1 in a million. But I think it shows an interesting concept and potential if and when it becomes widely used. If a burn unit can isolate your own stem cells and in one or two uses rebuild that protective layer, then the death toll caused by infection from these accidents may be greatly decreased.

Looks amazing.

Nebe 02-02-2011 02:00 PM

I've been spraying my stem sells on chicks for years.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven 02-02-2011 02:02 PM

no really, George Bush should be flogged
for holding back stem cell technology....
religious or MORAL beliefs do NOT trump health care

detbuch 02-02-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 833419)
no really, George Bush should be flogged
for holding back stem cell technology....
religious or MORAL beliefs do NOT trump health care

Actually, Bush okayed federal funding for adult stem cell research. He didn't (couldn't) ban private research on stem cells derived from discarded embryos, he restricted federal funding of such research. The skin gun appears to use the patient's own adult stem cells, not stem cells derived from human embryos. Much of the "miracle" cures from stem cell research that we hear about recently come from the use of adult stem cell research.

Raven 02-02-2011 03:37 PM

Not at first he didn't, unless my Memory serves me poorly

it was in his second term office that he flip flopped

the big difference now is that they found many alternate
sources for stem cells besides those found in human embryo's

O.D. Mike 02-02-2011 03:46 PM

Back in 1999 I was working at Umass Med and they were growing ears on the back of mice! Neat technology back then...

Also when babies were born without eye lids they would take the extra skin from a circumcision to rebuild their eyes, there was only one side affect....

They will walk around cock eyed the rest of their lives.....

5/0 02-02-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.D. Mike (Post 833444)
Back in 1999 I was working at Umass Med and they were growing ears on the back of mice! Neat technology back then...

Also when babies were born without eye lids they would take the extra skin from a circumcision to rebuild their eyes, there was only one side affect....

They will walk around cock eyed the rest of their lives.....

Thats friggin "Brutafull" LMFAO