Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Krylon HELP!!! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=61757)

Rockhound 01-24-2010 11:01 AM

Krylon HELP!!!

Guys:

I use quick dry Krylon to paint my plugs. Once and a while I will get a large amount of cracking on a second coat. It happened to me this morning. The first coat was completely dryed and at room temp. Anyone else get this with Krylon or any other paint?

Can anyone recommend a better way of painting plugs?

adson 01-24-2010 11:22 AM

are you sure the first coat was "dry"
some of the Krylon paints say at least 24 hours before recoat
those feel and look dry but will screw up the next coat of you rush it

Rockhound 01-24-2010 11:59 AM

I usually can get a second coat after say 18 "warm" hours. However, I think your right, that must be it :wall:. I bet certain colors, in this case red, require at least 24 as you said.

Thanks

BIG TIM 01-24-2010 12:42 PM

I've had the same problem when using rattle cans. I sometimes get in a rush and just wanna paint, paint, paint, and thats usually when I get into trouble. I found that nice light coats, and ample drying times did the trick and caused cracking to run away like a ole hound dog from ticks!

I started giving the colors 2 days to dry before moving on. That may be overkill time wise, but its what worked for me.

I hope this help!
Tim

stripermaineiac 01-24-2010 12:50 PM

I use Krylon mainly and have found that 48 hrs is the best as this will take things like humid weather,cold temps and difference in mix out of the equasion. Plus using different paints ie rustoleum,krylon and craft store paints will mix after 48 hrs better.But keep the crinkle in mind as it's a real nice add on for squid colored plugs and using flourecents over regular colors for added affect. Ron

Rockhound 01-24-2010 01:48 PM

Thanks guys, I am going to take it slow from now on.

spence 01-24-2010 02:44 PM

I've noticed that mixing different types of paint will also do this. Perhaps they don't like each other.

-spence

basswipe 01-24-2010 02:51 PM

Stop using Krylon.Its junk,it comes out of a can.Invest in an airbrush or for that matter a good basic Home-Cheapo detail sprayer,with these you have adjustabilty with the psi.

As far as 2nd and subsequent coats go you gotta sand between coats. 400-600grit is good.

The deeper the tint the longer the dry time.48 min on deep tones.

Also never hurts to make sure the wood itself is fully dry.And when determined so properly sealed.

bennyraw 01-25-2010 08:51 AM

I've found that if you mix flat and glossy spray can finishes they will crackle, no matter how long you wait.

ThrowingTimber 01-25-2010 09:07 AM

The solvent in your second coat is resolventating your first coat.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

WoodyCT 01-25-2010 10:46 AM

Dump Krylon

I've had pretty good luck with Rustoleum oil based spray enamel.

With Rustoleum you can do a multicolor paint job in one hour. The key is to go light with the coats and work in a warm, dry area. This time of year you can walk outside, spray, walk back inside so you don't pollute the shop too badly.

Ex. White Rusto base coat - 10min. - Silver Metalic mist on sides - 10min. Gold metalic mist on sides - 10min. - Blue metalic mist on top - 10min. - very light black metalic mist on top - 10min. - mist of Rusto clear to protect color while curing occurs.

All that is needed is 5-10 minutes between shots to allow the bulk of the solvent to volatize, thus keeping them from blending into mud. One caution- you will need to let the paint 'cure' for a couple weeks before adding epoxy to ensure that you don't encapsulate escaping solvents under the epoxy, which leads to adhesion issues.

Not necessarily the best way, but an easy way to get decent results.

saltydog 01-27-2010 09:04 PM

KRYLON, I always OVER SPRAY an let TOP COAT BLEED into the Bottom one gives a great BLEND, DON'T have AIR BRUSH so BLENDING w/ over spray is my way. Got one drying now will post tomorrow when dry:smash:
GOOD LUC GOOD PLUGGIN:uhuh:

saltydog 01-28-2010 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
THIS one is KRYLON GRAY over regular store WHITE, sprayed at the same time. HEAVY on the Gray to Bleed into the white, as you can see on the FIN an BELLY gives it a AIRBRUSH FINNISH.now all thats left is to MASK off where I dont want SCALES, an then re shot the belly an back to blend in to meet the scales. well talk is cheap :fury: so back to finnishing the plug. I don't like the NEW KRYLON SPRAY CAPS. :wall:so Im changing them. to get better control in spraying.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:uhuh: