Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Christmas "Remember When" Thread! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=45221)

BigFish 11-26-2007 10:53 PM

Christmas "Remember When" Thread!

Remember when it was a treat to have the stores open on the four Sundays before Christmas???

Remember when you believed in Santa???:hihi: (Sorry Slingah.....hate to be the one to break it to you!)

Remember not being able to sleep when you went to bed Christmas Eve in anticipation of Santa's arrival???

Remember getting that one special gift you really wanted to get???

Remember not getting that one special gift you really wanted???:bc:

Remember sitting on Santa's lap??? (Not talking about you Chief10....I know you sat on his lap yesterday!):hee:

Remember going to Edaville Railroad every year when you were a kid???

Remember bringing your own children there???

Remember when your folks would drive you around to look at all the Christmas lights???

Remember when Tonka trucks were metal?

Remember the Enchanted Village in Boston at Jordan Marsh???

Remember making pretend you thought Santa was real because you did not want your folks to find out???:hee:

The Dad Fisherman 11-26-2007 11:32 PM

Remember waking your parents up at 4:00 AM just to see what was under the tree.

This is a Lynn thing but I remember going down to the common to see the Nativity scene all set up with Real Live Sheep

I remember buying my parents God Awful presents at Woolworths

BigFish 11-26-2007 11:33 PM

"World's Greatest Parents" statues???:tooth:

The Dad Fisherman 11-27-2007 08:47 AM

Rudolf, Frosty, the Grinch, and Santa Claus is coming to Town came on once, and ONLY once. and the Whole family sat around and watched it together, like a special event.

HESH2 11-27-2007 09:03 AM

actuall found metal tonka truck last year for grandsons.x-mas stuff was'nt out halloween.live x-mas trees.alot of home cooked goodies for x-mas,alot of x-mas cookies.drank alot of holiday cheer.through out the years lost alot of love ones.all about grandkids and all the kids out there.

mekcotuit 11-27-2007 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 543084)
Remember waking your parents up at 4:00 AM just to see what was under the tree.

This is a Lynn thing but I remember going down to the common to see the Nativity scene all set up with Real Live Sheep

I rememebr buying my parents God Awful presents at Woolworths

Pink bubble bath in a fake champagne bottle and a baseball soap on a rope???

The Dad Fisherman 11-27-2007 09:27 AM

I once bought my Dad a set of 3 pictures of Chimps in Business suits with the little Talk balloons saying some little catch phrase....that had to be the worst

Katie 11-27-2007 09:33 AM

Remember when you'd sneak around the house trying to find the hiding space where your parents hid the presents?

Bronko 11-27-2007 09:45 AM

When a Christmas Tree didn't cost $75 bucks :rocketem:

The Dad Fisherman 11-27-2007 09:59 AM

I remember the Key to the front hall door always disappeared the 1st week of December.

Backbeach Jake 11-27-2007 12:45 PM

When you looked forward to Christmas...

RIJIMMY 11-27-2007 01:08 PM

its all what you make it, many of the things you mentioned are all part of my Christmas, my kids are 3 1/2 and 5. We watch all the christmas show together!

lot of lifes lessons to be learned in those Christmas shows.....

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

You never will get where you’re going
If you never get up on your feet
Come on, there’s a good tail wind blowing
A fast walking man is hard to beat

If you want to change your direction
If your time of life is at hand
Well don’t be the rule be the exception
A good way to start is to stand

If I want to change the reflection
I see in the mirror each morn
You mean that it's just my election
To vote for a chance to be reborn

Andy D 11-27-2007 01:13 PM

The holidays are not like they used to be. X-mas eve at grandma's when she packed 20 people around the table for dinner . I think we are being desensitized with the constant ads on t.v. This year will be my Grand Daughter's first and I'm once again looking forward to the holidays. Even though she is too young to really understand just to see her face when she sees the lights on the tree will make my holiday.

The Iceman 6 11-27-2007 01:21 PM

Looking forward to watching the Charlie Brown Christmas special with my daughter's tonight (although a little early this year).

I think Linus said it best:

"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the fields, keeping watch over their flocks by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the lord shone round about them, and they were so afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not, for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you this day is born in the City of Bethlehem, a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; you shall find the baby wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel, a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on Earth peace, good will toward men'". That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie brown.

FishermanTim 11-27-2007 01:33 PM

Going to midnight mass on Christmas Eve, and then having half the people in the neighborhood come over for Christmas breakfast.
We would LITERALLY serve anyone that came to our house, and my parents would start cooking right after midnight mass and go to bed ONLY after everyone was fed and sent on their "merry" way.

The years after my father had lost his job at a local printing company (and befored he began working at Boston University) my gift to him was literally a roll of pennies, which was all that I had.
We, as kids, got used toys and hand-me-downs, and we were glad to get that.

blaruffa 11-27-2007 02:49 PM

I think many people have forgotten about traditions. As I have gotten older I look forward to those items that we do every year at Christmas. When I was a teenager I thought those things were hokey or uncool, but now having my own kids, I look back that the family traditions we had, and realize it was about spending time together.

With the changes in life it is very important to establish traditions, even though I am sure in a few years my kids will think they are uncool or hokey.

Every year we go to Edaville as a family, we always drive around looking for Christmas lights, and we watch family movies, just like we did when I was a kid. We cook special items that were of family importance of celebrating the holidays.

We have also started our own traditions like lighting up the house. My 5 year old couldn't wait to help me this year, and my 2 year old is in love with the lights on the house. That makes it all worth while.

If you want to see our family tradition you can on this youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmPzx1FkaIs
our drive by at 86 Rainbow Ave East Falmouth, MA

RIJIMMY 11-27-2007 04:39 PM

your neighbors must love you

its like a deep purple concert : )

BigFish 11-27-2007 06:30 PM

Remember when you couldn't change the channel without finding "Its A Wonderful Life"?:btu:

Jenn 11-28-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake (Post 543179)

:(:(:( Yes....

Slingah 11-28-2007 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake (Post 543179)

same here...they call me Scrooge now....

rivsie11 11-28-2007 11:00 PM

I remember when i was excited to get a book of five McDonald's gift certificates in my stocking. Now you get a gift card. In fact now you don't get presents, just gift cards.

The Iceman 6 11-29-2007 08:50 AM

Nowadays you can't change the channel w/o finding A Christmas Story...

Jimbo 11-29-2007 12:52 PM

Remember when the Christmas tree lighting at Rockefeller Center used to be all about Christmas? Half the performers didn't even sing Christmas songs, few even said something like "Happy Holidays" after they finished. Ashley Tisdale sang twice, the first time she was so off key I thought window panes were going to start breaking in my house, the second time I believe was a lip sync. The clincher for me was Howie Mandell, pre-recorded, saying how NBC gave him the option of being there live or pre-recording something and went on to say that rather than standing out in the cold with everyone, that he'd be home watching himself on the show. Got a Deal or No Deal plug in but gave very little Christmas sentiment. The other guests who appeared just quickly plugged their upcoming movies or shows. Does anyone care that Brooke Shields has a sexy show coming to pilot soon? Tony Bennett screwed up the lyrics to a traditional Christmas tune, and Celine, who is becoming the female animated version of Joe Cocker, was piped in from the Rainbow Room. However Josh Groband and Carrie Underwood were great.