Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   a novel idea (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=30013)

capesams 03-17-2006 12:35 PM

a novel idea

with all the new plug builder's today reproducing old shape's reguardless of the difference in size or not having spinner's or lip's or whatever being left off of the new shape..how about giving the original designer and builder , who also already gave it a name some credit....I'm seeing alot of old shape's being made today that being given a [pull name outta the hat] type thing...with all due respect to the new builder's it's nice to put your own label on something,,but call them what they are..a danny's a danny...atom atom...creek chub wigglefish...creek chub minnow....gibbs pencil popper....gibbs jointed.....then your own created name....some already are which shows respect to those who came before them.:kewl:

Flaptail 03-17-2006 12:47 PM

Never did otherwise. Anybody specifically or just in general? Nothin' being done that ain't been done before anyways.

Slipknot 03-17-2006 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capesams
with all the new plug builder's today reproducing old shape's reguardless of the difference in size or not having spinner's or lip's or whatever being left off of the new shape..how about giving the original designer and builder , who also already gave it a name some credit....I'm seeing alot of old shape's being made today that being given a [pull name outta the hat] type thing...with all due respect to the new builder's it's nice to put your own label on something,,but call them what they are..a danny's a danny...atom atom...creek chub wigglefish...creek chub minnow....gibbs pencil popper....gibbs jointed.....then your own created name....some already are which shows respect to those who came before them.:kewl:

I don't get what you're saying?

fishaholic18 03-17-2006 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot
I don't get what you're saying?

Give credit where credit is due? I think.:btu:

Slipknot 03-17-2006 01:30 PM

so when I make a plug and post a picture of it I should say this is my version of a Hickey-doo and I call it a tantalizer.??

I don't sell plugs so why should I come up with a name for a plug?

I don't get it

I understand respect but if I make a plug like something old and I don't know the history of it, what am I supposed to do to give credit where credit is due, research it? :huh:

I just turn hunks of wood into stuff that I want to catch fish on.

redneck24 03-17-2006 01:37 PM

beat a dead horse :doh:

redneck24 03-17-2006 01:38 PM

here's a novel idea, why dont we find a new subject to dwell on, this one is getting old.

JFigliuolo 03-17-2006 01:59 PM

This sounds fine...

'cept alot of us new builder swill inevitably, re-create something w/o knowing it.

Raven 03-17-2006 03:38 PM

hahhahaahhaahahahhaah

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFigliuolo
'cept alot of us new builder swill inevitably, re-create something w/o knowing it.

yes sir and especially TODAY .....green beer swillers...:rotfl:

Tagger 03-17-2006 03:49 PM

Who put the bop in the bop she bob she bop ..
Who put the Ram in the ramalama-ding-dong..

Who invented the danny. ya sure ?

that atom 40 look .. i see hicky-do,,murat,,blue streak,,master lure had that look .... fuller bros had that shape 1940..Pt.jude had it just flat nose like Hicky-do.
1st bob pond lure 44
I always try to give credit where it do but ,I think those guys were a bunch of copy cats just like us .. looked like before 1940 everybody was copying eachothers flaptail ..

ThrowingTimber 03-17-2006 04:09 PM

Agree with Taggage, but I still call em their right name, and whatever I did to it.

Canalman 03-17-2006 04:30 PM

A little SAT analogy to bring back those cramming memories from high school.... :hs:

A polaris is to a red fin as a Superstrike Little neck is to________

A gibbs needle is to a Bomber as a Gags needle is to __________

The list goes on and on

Answers...
Gags mambo
Rapala

Nebe 03-17-2006 05:02 PM

My next plug will be called the ballareenaseaspookhowdeysliderseapup. :err:

capesams 03-17-2006 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber
Agree with Taggage, but I still call em their right name, and whatever I did to it.

your right on the money...... txs.

with the reply's I see to this thread even this place has gone down the toilet...no wonder it's lost so many good builder's....hope you all enjoy each other.

Squid kids Dad 03-17-2006 05:40 PM

:gf: :conf:

Canalman 03-17-2006 05:54 PM

Quote:

with the reply's I see to this thread even this place has gone down the toilet...no wonder it's lost so many good builder's....hope you all enjoy each other.

Yikes! I think I get what you mean... but I think you're taking things a little to far or seriously... remember... this is supposed to be fun :)

Tagger 03-17-2006 06:07 PM

funny all the look a likes ,,only one Floyd Roman Nike ,sizzler,looking plug though ... I get ya Steve..

Slipknot 03-17-2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

I guess I am thick or stupid today cuz I don't quite get what you are saying. I think I get it but not sure.

anything specific that brought this up?:huh: :gu: and what's with the new smilies?

redneck24 03-17-2006 07:33 PM

Quote:

sorry i wasnt around 30-40 years ago, but everytime you guys say this copy thing, you are knocking all newer plug builders. i never knock you old timers, but now im getting tired of being called copy cat, and crap like that. i take alot of pride in my plugs, and i work hard on them, and i dont appreciate anyone knocking that. it is time to face REALITY, times have changed, and there is an extremely large amount of talent on this board. so instead of going off in a huff, why dont you stop and realize that it is 2006.

IFG 03-17-2006 08:14 PM

two changes and it's legal

ThrowingTimber 03-17-2006 08:18 PM

Did you see that dude that made the bunker spoons? Hes got a sizzler in an ad advertising it as his own... saying its a montauk original on the ad or whatever hahaha ... see why I dont buy the rags?

CS some folks are just transparent ;) we'll leave it at that :wave: Cheer up dude its almost time :bl:

PNG 03-17-2006 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFigliuolo

Minus the swilling part in my case I would have to agree.

I dont collect nor have I looked at the history much, I produce for the most part something that already exists without knowing it:bl:

For instance,
small swimmer = "hey that looks like a Hahn" Me - who's hahn?

If'n I do copy I say it up front like the TobiasCapNike I copied, from there I changed what I didnt like or didnt swim. Pissa lure:btu:

I smell what your stepping in CS. Dont know what the answer is though. Maybe "This is my version of XYZ":huh:

Young Salt 03-17-2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

:rude:

GOP FORUM PLEASE :yak6:

Squid kids Dad 03-17-2006 09:36 PM

Geez Whats: next to complain about....Relax dude...There are only so many shapes and sizes one can make...This is supposed to fun....

Squid kids Dad 03-17-2006 09:36 PM

Geez Whats next to complain about....Relax dude...There are only so many shapes and sizes one can make...This is supposed to fun....

Nebe 03-17-2006 10:25 PM

Ive said it once and i'll say it agian. there are those who are innovative, and there are those who follow. There are those who are original and there are those who are un-original.

Those who copy are only stealing from thier own future. :rtfm:

Tagger 03-18-2006 05:38 AM

Maybe I took this post to lightly ,, some of the comments ,there seems to be an old/new guy division . Maybe also a little commercial builder/hobbyist division on boards also ..The best part of this hobby has been the journey, not the finish line.. I honor the history of each builders place in time and admire there pre-internet craftsmanship.. I don't want to disrespect what came before me because I've learned and enjoyed so much from it . Besides the 2 groups I mentioned above old/new ,, commercial /hobbyist,, There is also a third group among us,, Collector/Historian ,, These are the guys who keep it real and when we think we reinvented the wheel . They give us a history lesson .. I personally have always been drawn to the history of these salty old bastages and feel I'm better for it .. To each his own .. A meal with all the fixens or fast food .. Capesams ,,,I hear you barking big dog .. :hihi:

BigFish 03-18-2006 07:10 AM

I think anyone who started building automobiles should give props to the inventor.....Henry Ford and name all their vehicles fords.:laugha:

After all....they are all shaped "about" the same and have wheels just like his....but are they really that different? :rolleyes:

Eben....are you following in the grand tradition of rubber eel making or do you feel you are breaking new ground?

BigFish 03-18-2006 07:18 AM

PS....not looking for a pissing contest but just trying to make a point....this is an old topic rehashed many times......how many different ways can you make a wooden stick with hooks on it?:huh:

So you don't get angry at me Eben...I was just making a point....I think your rubber eels are very cool, tastey looking and different than any I have seen......but still shaped like a rubber eel with a different twist to the character of the body...and I love it.

I can tell you this.....I do try to make my plugs a bit different than anything I have seen.....but that in itself is difficult. I make a danny...I call it a danny....I make a pencil...its different than Gibbs but still it is a pencil. I feel as though I am going in circles.

The water in this toilet is warm....come on in!

BigFish 03-18-2006 07:26 AM

Also....I will say what I think many are afraid to say....if we have lost many "great builders" from this site I think it is due to their inflated heads and their imagined lofty stature in the plug building world!

Move over cause BigFish likes building plugs....like it or not!:af: