Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Bondo to fill holes (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=28363)

outnumbered 01-11-2006 09:28 PM

Bondo to fill holes

Does anyone use Bondo to fill the holes after they put their slugs/weights in?

Thanks Kevin

castn4bass 01-11-2006 09:43 PM

what a great idea! have you tried this yet?

outnumbered 01-11-2006 09:48 PM

Not yet I'm going to try it this week though. I have used it to fix rot on two of my window sills three years ago and it has worked great so I figured why not here. Thye make a tube of it already mixed and it reacts to ultraviolet light to harden so you don't even have to mix it and it shrinks very little.

Slipknot 01-11-2006 09:53 PM

the problem with bondo is that it is NOT waterproof

I use famowood wood putty, it's a solvent base putty

you can use epoxy mixed with wood flour also.
I have some system3 quickfair fair compound that I am gonna try, the only trouble is that it's 2 part, but I know it's waterproof and will hold the weight in tight so that may be worth the trouble.

justplugit 01-11-2006 10:48 PM

Try Tagger's plumber's epoxy suggestion. It is a 2 part stick that you cut a piece off of and need in your hands till it turns one color. Compeletly water proof, sands to a fine finish and will bond and seal the hole.

outnumbered 01-11-2006 11:07 PM

thanks guys thats why I love this place.

ThrowingTimber 01-12-2006 12:08 AM

bondo is a waste of time. Drill yer hole. Fill it with 5 minute epoxy. Go grab a wobbly pop while it hardens, go grab another wobbly pop. When its hardened toss that bad boy back on the lathe and hit it with sand paper :bgi: bondo is for cars...

Striperhound 01-12-2006 08:10 AM

I went to a body shop supply house and talked with the owner about what I was trying to do with plugs. He gave me a autobody filler that I have been using on my last batch of plugs. Real easy to mix and use and sands down to a silky smooth finish. He said it is waterproof as well. Of all the things I have used, I get the best smooth finish out of the autobody filler and you cannot tell where the lead is on the plug once it is painted. One downside is the stuff stinks, you can get a buzz off the smell when mixing.

Maybe Mike FishingFreak can chime in on autobody fillers?

Flaptail 01-12-2006 08:23 AM

Cool! Make plugs and catch a buzz at the same time! :buds:

thefishingfreak 01-12-2006 11:11 AM

you can use fiberglass kitty hair stuff if you want.
i got so good at hiding weights that when i finally got a plug to swim right i couldn't remember how i weighted it.
now i don't care if it shows. i want it to show a little.
lotta guys who swap wanna know how there made/weighted if it's a winner. so they can make the same plugs.:kewl:
too much work for a stinkin' plug that you want to get beat.

Flaptail 01-12-2006 11:58 AM

I can understand how some would want the plugs weight and location not to show but for me I use Famowood and have no problems and if it shows a little, no big woof. Being basically a slacker when it comes to such things two part stuff is "two" much work. Drill the hole, slam the ball in there and stuff the old Famowood in. 1/2 hour later sand that puppy and your off.

Interesting though to see how many options you have got. Thanks!

justplugit 01-12-2006 05:01 PM

Slip or Flap, have you ever used the Famowood epoxy Glaze Coat. :huh:

Btw Flap, u r to old for buzzin. :hihi:

Slipknot 01-12-2006 05:49 PM

no, never seen that stuff

Bernzy 01-12-2006 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplugit
Slip or Flap, have you ever used the Famowood epoxy Glaze Coat. :huh:

Btw Flap, u r to old for buzzin. :hihi:

Famo Wood Glaze is a bar top epoxy like Envirotex. It works about as well.

Bernzy

justplugit 01-12-2006 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernzy
Famo Wood Glaze is a bar top epoxy like Envirotex. It works about as well.

Bernzy

Thanks John, the price of Environtex is makin it look alot better with the 40% off coupon at Michaels. :D