Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   honeymoon help (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=17512)

goosefish 08-30-2004 06:43 PM

honeymoon help

Leaving to go somewhere on September 13. Originally she--and I'm serious---wanted to go to Cuttyhunk, but then she axed the idea. Now we are thinking maybe western mass, Vermont, someplace inland.
I'd like to bring some freshwater gear and maybe fish for smallmouths. Woodstock vermont????????????
Only going for four days.
No canoe, but we could rent one.
Any ideas???

"uffah!!" 08-30-2004 07:37 PM

"Honeymoon Help"

I just got back Saturday afternoon from Lake George, NY. I was there from last Monday to Saturday. It just beautiful. Its only
225 miles, lots to do, including fishing.

cheferson 08-30-2004 08:10 PM

Burlington vermont bro. CIty is fun as hell, great people and montreal is only a lil over an hour away.

Rappin Mikey 08-30-2004 08:59 PM

Western Mass? There are some lovely areas if you look hard enough. However, unless it is peak foliage, I'm not sure I would call it exactly honey moon worthy. Stay near the salt.

C-5 CC 08-30-2004 09:14 PM

Hey Mikey

Hey Mikey...you aren't even married yet...you can't give advice about this stuff yet;)
Brandon

tlapinski 08-31-2004 05:56 AM

John, i don't know why i didn't think of it sooner, but my mom works at an inn in Amherst. very nice place. i can get you the info if you want. you could do some CT river smallie fishing, or hit the deerfield river for trout/smallies.

MakoMike 08-31-2004 07:03 AM

John,
Think about the ski areas. They have great places at reasonable rates at this time of year. If you go to the area around Bromley, and stratton thewre are plenty of ponds and streams, including the beaverkill in the area. Gongrats and good luck. Maybe a canyon run or two later in the month if the weather holds up.

goosefish 08-31-2004 07:10 AM

I'd like to go visit the Beaverkill, if only for history. Kind of the cuttyhunk of trout streams.
Thanks.

HighTide 08-31-2004 08:42 AM

I second Lake George. Went there in July, had a great time, plenty to do. Boat rentals, parasailing, smallmouth fishing, fireworks, Duffy's, good eats, etc. I don't know if Saratoga's still open, but it's like 10 miles away.:happy: :happy:

chris L 08-31-2004 09:24 AM

Saratoga meet ends on Sunday 9/5 .

isnt the beaverkill in roscoe NY ? western side of the catskills ?

might you mean the battenkill in vermont ?

HighTide 08-31-2004 09:37 AM

I was just thinking Saratoga and hadn't considered Beaverkill or Battenkill. OTB is always an option too.

zacs 08-31-2004 10:38 AM

The trout are THICK in Roscoe, NY

fishdump 08-31-2004 11:00 AM

Yup it is the Battenkill in Vermont. Grew up kayaking/canoeing that river. Beautiful country up there in the Manchester area of Vermont. Like others have said the Western Mass and Southern VT areas offer plenty of color come fall foliage season, but that also draws the tourists. Great trout fishing on that river. Orvis is up there. They offer seminars and guided tours of the area. If you're looking for quiet and relaxing this is a great area to go.

chris L 08-31-2004 11:42 AM

the green river has good fishing in nw mass . near mount greylock rte 2 is a nice scenic ride in the fall . have lunch at the hairpin restaurant over looking the woods below . at the eastern end of 2 is deerfield village and deerfield inn ( great food ) and the deerfield river good fishing there too . carriage ride in deerfield is romantic .
aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now that was a refreshing memory .

one thing about fishing the battenkill there are factory outlet stores close by for the wife and flyfihing museum and orvis for you . also a nice scenic ride up mount equinox .

roscoe is nice too ( trout town ) .

fishdump 08-31-2004 11:47 AM

Not to Hijack, but Chris L you are very familiar with the NW area of Mass. Are you from the area?

MakoMike 08-31-2004 12:37 PM

Whoops! Meant the Batterkill, I know where the beverkill is :smash:

chris L 08-31-2004 01:22 PM

no Im from south central Ct . Ive spent many days in that neck of the woods . Im a traveling fisherman . I fish trout waters just like I do stripers . fish the best possible spots anywhere .

I fish in nw mass , vermont , NH , maine and upstate Ny for trout .
also montauk , RI and the cape and LI for stripers .

fishdump 08-31-2004 01:29 PM

Chris L was just curious, I grew up in the area (Williamstown MA exactly) now an import to RI. Spent many days on the Battenkill, Green, and serveral other rivers in the area. Plus hiking, the Appalachian and Long Trails in CT, VT, and MA.

chris L 08-31-2004 02:30 PM

its beautiful country up that way ! just wish it was closer to the salt . then I would move there and have the best of both worlds . ya know you cant beat fishing a river with all the covered bridges they have up there to fish under .

I wanted to get a job at williamstown college but Yale wouldnt let me go .

RIROCKHOUND 08-31-2004 02:36 PM

John,
BTW if you need help as to what to do on your honeymoon....
Well I just dont think I could fish with you anymore :smash: :D :D :D

goosefish 08-31-2004 03:18 PM

Thanks for the input. The battenkill sounds like it might be a good place to go. That or the Seychelles Islands. Could be a price difference, I'II have to look into it.
Prudence Island here we come.

Nebe 08-31-2004 03:55 PM

If it were me on my honeymoon I'd go to prince edward island... I'd drive up the coast of Maine, take that huge Cat Ferry over to Nova scotia and then drive alont that long bridge to PE island.... gods country up there.. long drive but worth it...

Or I'd rent a little bed adn breakfast cottage on some island in maine...

but that Cuttyhunk fishing club would be nice;)

ThrowingTimber 08-31-2004 06:46 PM

The harraseeket inn in Maine is a nice b&b. The link

Thom 09-02-2004 08:33 AM

Goosefish all I can say about the Battenkill is Tubers and canoes can get in the way depending on where and when you go. The College that I work for owns the Inn where Toby's mother works I second is idea of the Amherst/Northampton area. You and your wife could spend a afternoon shopping and people watching in downtown Northampton plenty of places to eat in the area. It is close enough that you could fish any of the places mentioned in the thread. THomT

goosefish 09-02-2004 04:10 PM

We are going to the Vineyard. Should be fun. A friend is giving us his estate for a week. 60 acres of farm land and salt marsh. I've been going to the property for 20 yrs now but hey the price is right, and this will be the first time there without a soul around.

Nebe 09-02-2004 06:43 PM

:humpty:

I'l give you 2 nights alone.... then i'll be there with my grear:devil: leah can baby sit :rotfl:

seriously, have a great honeymoon and cover the eyes on that 49lber thats hanging on the wall :laughs: