Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Punching Lips (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=80917)

eskimo 01-28-2013 03:06 PM

Punching Lips

Want to make a few lips that I can't buy commercially.

-Anyone punching lips with a punch other then a Roper Whitney?
-Is it holding up?
-Do you wish you spent the extra $ and went with the RW?
-Do you still just drill your line tie hole?

Are you cutting lips with snips or the band saw route?

Been on a kick of not spending money and I'm trying to keep it that way.

:smash:

Slipknot 01-28-2013 04:09 PM

snips, drill, belt sander and grinder here , like cavemen days

good luck

eskimo 01-28-2013 07:39 PM

This might be my way, Slip. The punch is a great idea but a chunk of change for 10 lips.

InTheHole 01-29-2013 09:29 AM

Not being a plug maker this might be a dumb question, but do you guys make each of your metal lips from scratch, by hand ? Or are the commercially available?

eskimo 01-29-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InTheHole (Post 982352)
Not being a plug maker this might be a dumb question, but do you guys make each of your metal lips from scratch, by hand ? Or are the commercially available?

Some do, some don't, InTheHole. Lucky enough to have a good selection by the lure building suppliers out there.

Sgt Striper 01-29-2013 04:36 PM

I use stock lips from NJT. I always have some unbent lips from them in various styles so if I come across a lip that is not produced I usually can grind and bend one of them to what I need.

InTheHole 01-29-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eskimo (Post 982399)
Some do, some don't, InTheHole. Lucky enough to have a good selection by the lure building suppliers out there.

Thanks, I was curious how most of the " home-made" plugs I see have lips that look pretty good and not like they were cut from a soup can.

ProfessorM 01-29-2013 08:48 PM

LOL. the problem with commercial lips, not that the commercial lips available are not good they are very good, they just don't cover all the plugs. If you want to make a special plug and need the exact lip most likely it is not available so you got to make them. The commercial guys have dies to punch the lips out and they are very expensive so they try and cover plugs that are popular and make lips that could be used in multiple types of plugs. To expensive to make a die for every plug out there. My problem is I like to make plugs that don't have lips available so I make them, it also helps I am a machinist. Sorry Eskimo, I ran out of what he needed.

You can always get some similar lips you need, flatten them out, grind or sand to size you want and then re bend if the slot is in the area you wish. Better than grinding from scratch. Make sure you got a cup of water close by becasue those friggin things get hot fast.

InTheHole 01-30-2013 08:18 AM

Part of what I do is chemically mill stainless steel and various other metals to make a multitude of parts. I am wondering if this process would be a fit for this application ? The sizes and designs are not limited by a die, any design is plotted on a film and this is the only tooling used in this process.