Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Skimmers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=98698)

spence 03-01-2023 09:24 PM

Skimmers

Just discovered my atm/debit card number was used for a dozen Door Dash purchases since January. It’s not linked to my DD account and I only use it to get cash. Might be time for an RFID proof wallet. PITA.

The Dad Fisherman 03-02-2023 05:42 AM

They sell sleeves that you can put your card in and keep in your wallet, that’s what I do.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PaulS 03-02-2023 08:02 AM

That stinks. Wonder why they didn't use it for bigger purchases?

The Dad Fisherman 03-02-2023 10:15 AM

Bigger purchases usually flag as suspicious behavior. Get a couple dozen cards and you can eat and fuel up your vehicles under the radar for at least a month, until people see their statements

PaulS 03-02-2023 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1239502)
Bigger purchases usually flag as suspicious behavior. Get a couple dozen cards and you can eat and fuel up your vehicles under the radar for at least a month, until people see their statements

Thanks

piemma 03-02-2023 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1239493)
Just discovered my atm/debit card number was used for a dozen Door Dash purchases since January. It’s not linked to my DD account and I only use it to get cash. Might be time for an RFID proof wallet. PITA.

Remember to let the bank know where you got cash. The skimmers are usually at the ATM. i won't go into particulars but you remember I was doing fraud mitigation with the Secret Service when we first met.

piemma 03-02-2023 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1239495)
They sell sleeves that you can put your card in and keep in your wallet, that’s what I do.

The skimmer is usually an "overlay" at the bank ATM.

spence 03-02-2023 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1239506)

I’ve heard of this. Given the timing of the fraud I’m thinking it happened when I flew home for Christmas.

Mike P 03-02-2023 03:54 PM

If possible, use the ATMs inside the bank during business hours, as the skimmers are more likely to be placed on the outside or remote machines.

Self serv fuel pumps are another popular skimmer target.

spence 03-02-2023 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 1239510)
If possible, use the ATMs inside the bank during business hours, as the skimmers are more likely to be placed on the outside or remote machines.

I actually asked the fraud agent about this and they said most banks have so many security cameras outside it’s not super likely. Still could happen I’m sure.

spence 06-04-2023 06:15 PM

I just found like 8 apple.com charges from today I didn’t make on my primary credit card. This would be 4 fraud claims in the last six months. Is any one else having these kind of issues?

Hookedagain 06-05-2023 04:53 PM

My wife has a Southwest card she only uses for work travel. It has gotten hit 3 times in the last 10 months for Spotify charges. She also has had random Door Dash charges on her debit. One of the Spotify charges was for 3 months in a row and the CC Company would not cover it because she didn't catch it in time.

Mike P 06-05-2023 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1239506)

At gas pumps, too. And sometimes installed by low life station employees/managers.

Use contactless payment whenever possible. I just tap the chip to the Wi-Fi reader and done--2-3 seconds, tops, no PIN required.