Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Grumpy Old Pharts Board (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   NEVER EVER loan to neighbors (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=25354)

UserRemoved1 08-15-2005 09:26 AM

NEVER EVER loan to neighbors

I learned this years ago when I loaned a $500 pressure washer to the guy across the street at the old house and the damn thing had a cracked high pressure snout the next time I used it.

So Saturday my neighbor across the street shows up on my front doorstep...They know I got some nice pop-up tents I used at a big party we had a few weeks ago. Got asked to borrow for a party yesterday....talk about being put on the spot :(

So me being the nice guy I bring one over later in the day. I set it up for him....and specifically told him NOT to leave it out in heavy rains as it will buckle the top canvas and destroy it...I JUST fixed it a few weeks ago from when it collapsed on a jobsite two years ago. I got lucky and was able to find the manufacturer. Got all the replacement parts.

Yep you guessed it...I look out the door this am and across the street is a pile of crap that used to be my tent. Freekin $200 tent and the guys a ninny and leaves it out yesterday.

MY bad.
NEVER AGAIN.

spence 08-15-2005 09:35 AM

Fool me once shame on you...I think you know the rest :grins:

-spence

Nebe 08-15-2005 10:19 AM

EZ-UP??? make him buy you a new one- sams club 100 bucks. I have 4

Karl F 08-15-2005 10:23 AM

They never ask anymore.. I tell them I have one rule, I go with it, and stay with it, till they're done.... They don't ask no more :D

zacs 08-15-2005 10:36 AM

i don't talk to my neighbors and they don't talk to me. seems to help avoid these types of situations.

Homerun04 08-15-2005 10:38 AM

Don't worry......sounds like you're about to get a brand new tent from your neighbor....... :laugha:

spence 08-15-2005 10:46 AM

Whenever I borrow anything I make sure I promise full replacement if I break, damage or destroy the item. There really isn't any excuse for not taking care of something that isn't yours.

Paul, that 704 always did sound like a windchime didn't it? :laugha:

-spence

partsjay 08-15-2005 08:38 PM

Quote:

i don't talk to my neighbors and they don't talk to me. seems to help avoid these types of situations
I'm the same way.

CAL 08-15-2005 09:15 PM

Scott, can I borrow your boat next weekend?

Raven 08-15-2005 09:35 PM

i made sure

i have no neighbors except for one...and they dont ask.

UserRemoved1 08-16-2005 05:56 AM

ok so now it's sitting in a big pile of twisted crap at the top of his driveway. Guy hasn't said nuthin yet. He leaves for Iraq on Thursday....we'll see what happens.

fishweewee 08-16-2005 06:45 AM

Some neighbor!

afterhours 08-16-2005 06:50 AM

i'd ask him for a check.

Uncle Matt 08-16-2005 06:54 AM

Neighbors suck......... :poke:

:nailem:

Raven 08-16-2005 07:35 AM

thats spooky

generating that kind of bad karma just before leaving to Iraq can only result in one thing.

Raven 08-16-2005 07:41 AM

one time

i left a bunch of nice stuff with a neighbor for safe keeping to make sure it didnt get stolen while i travelled east...who said "no problem" and the S.O.B.
had a yard sale and sold it all. You "think" you know people...but you rarely do.

boot man 08-16-2005 02:26 PM

Sorry about the tent!!

I loaned my mower to my neighbor. He ran over the pull cord, put it back in my garage, didnt close the door, cats pissed over everything (strollers, bikes, etc.

Sumbitch never even said anything or offered to fix anything. I'd really like to throttle him, but what good will that do? He'll still be an irresponsible a$$ and I would be the hothead who flipped over a broken pull cord.

Some people are just (your favorite curse here)...

beamie 08-16-2005 03:11 PM

Being the good guy it seems you always get screwed. When I sold my old boat to a distant friend he asked me if the stands came with it. I said no but you can take 2 till you get your own. Those things last a lifetime and aren't cheap. Well, never seen them since, it has been about 2 years now.

You hate to be the bad guy and say no but in the end your the onw who gets shortchanged, it s*cks.

NJTackle 08-16-2005 03:19 PM

I had a neighbor that borrowed an axe from me. About a year later I needed it back. Being the politically correct guy I am, I never asked for it back but instead asked him if he had one I could borrow thinking he'd remember and give mine back. Wouldn't you know it he gave me the axe but asked for it back a few weeks later. He honeslty thought it belonged to him!

Lesson learned.

BigFish 08-16-2005 04:35 PM

Sorry-o....no habla enlase' el' neighbor-o'! :rolleyes:

basswipe 08-17-2005 05:00 AM

That same rule can also be applied to coworkers.And what make lending to coworkers worse is you have to see these guys everyday.

piemma 08-17-2005 05:24 AM

Which reminds me, I lent someone on this board a 704......

spence 08-17-2005 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma
Which reminds me, I lent someone on this board a 704......

FYI, that's not the one I currently have on Ebay :hee:

Please don't check :hidin:

-spence

Mr. Sandman 08-17-2005 07:46 PM

I was in my neighbors garage once and saw my shovel. I said.."hey!! thats my shovel!" He said, no it isn't I have had that shovel for years!... I said I know its been missing for years, that is mine :angel: ! He said, How do you know it is your shovel? I said because it has my last name burned into the handle. Oh...I guess it it yours. Here. :hs:

I hate loaning tools, esp power tools to anyone. You need it you buy it yourself. I also have a trashed power washer that needs to be rebuilt as well because of a loaner.

Raven 08-17-2005 09:00 PM

had a former friend

steal my shovel...so i went over to his place and took it back after finding it laying in the back of his pick up truck...then i busted him over it... hard...
the next day however ....happened to be his birthday ...so to make ammends for slamming him on the theft so venimously, i bought him a new shovel for his birthday. he was all happy then..........

but then 6 months later after breaking his new shovel he stole my shovel again....

some people definately just aren't worth the effort and will never "get it".:af:

Got Stripers 08-20-2005 07:40 PM

Fences make good neighbors.

thefishingfreak 08-20-2005 07:50 PM

i loaned a neighbor the wife once. but he sent her right back :spidey:

Iwannakeeper 08-22-2005 10:24 AM

Nice Mike....nice

Charleston 08-25-2005 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boot man
Sorry about the tent!!

I loaned my mower to my neighbor. He ran over the pull cord, put it back in my garage, didnt close the door, cats pissed over everything (strollers, bikes, etc.

Sumbitch never even said anything or offered to fix anything. I'd really like to throttle him, but what good will that do? He'll still be an irresponsible a$$ and I would be the hothead who flipped over a broken pull cord.

Some people are just (your favorite curse here)...

How in hell do you run over the pull cord?? :faga:

Slingah 08-25-2005 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea-5
How in hell do you run over the pull cord?? :faga:

I did it too to my own mower though :whackin:
it came out of the clip thingie and was draggin on the ground and I didnt know it.....zinngggg off it went...then I tried to fix it...those springs s*ck..