Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Masterlure Straight Eel (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=56458)

numbskull 04-07-2009 01:06 PM

Masterlure Straight Eel

2 Attachment(s)
This is kinda cool so I thought it deserved its own thread. Got someone to loan me an original and copied it. 9" long, 1.1" wide, 3oz, 3/0 hooks. AYC was right on. No weight. Rebend your own lip using a Pikie 3. The original has a vertical wire loop (which I decided not to copy, yet). Swims on top with the nose down and tail up a bit. Works nicely at low speed. I think it has some real potential. Too bad I got to send this one away.....but got several more in sealer :cool:

Flaptail 04-07-2009 01:10 PM

:kewl:

go4broke44 04-07-2009 01:59 PM

cool stuff!

Clogston29 04-07-2009 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
very nice looking :btu:

hab's made something similar, but only made a few.

i have one but have a real hard time bringing myself fish it now. it worked well when i did.

good luck with it.

ProfessorM 04-07-2009 02:36 PM

Nice G.

scottw 04-07-2009 02:39 PM

yeow! better than the original...real nice....

Mr. Sandman 04-07-2009 03:28 PM

That looks real nice.:kewl:

Raven 04-07-2009 03:32 PM

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/eeel.png

Grapenuts 04-07-2009 04:08 PM

very nice....I beleive though it's the second generation body style...hab's made the first style as I have, noteing sometime back,mac asked a question as to why the lip was cut at a tilt when looking at the plug face on..seen two others that were cut that way as well, someone said it may have been an opps in milling, but I'm thinking it wasn't...when it swam, it swam abit on her side looking downward as if it was hurt.

johnny ducketts 04-07-2009 06:57 PM

looking real nice, great job!

Rockfish9 04-07-2009 07:08 PM

way cool...:bl:

Adam R 04-07-2009 07:09 PM

Looks like you nailed that one George. Nice work!

Slipknot 04-07-2009 07:09 PM

Real fine job on the stik George:uhuh::kewl:
I like it a lot

Striperknight 04-08-2009 10:05 AM

Real nice work

Tagger 04-09-2009 07:10 AM

Thanks George ,,, I'm making one ..

Tagger 04-09-2009 07:00 PM

George ,, Can you give me hook locations on that one .. thanks ,,

numbskull 04-09-2009 09:21 PM

Ok Eddy, here you go.
The plug is 9"
the eyes are 1 5/8" back and about 1/4" above centerline. A 1" saltyball will cut the cove
the plug is widest (1.1") from just behind the eye to the first hook.
the first hook is 1 15/16" back
the second hook is 5 5/8" back at which point the plug has tapered very gradually to 1.04"
the tail is .64" (1" from the tail is .79, 2" from tail .91", and 2 3/4" from tail 1.0")
the wire hole is .25" below centerline, but the original has the lip mounted slightly below centerline (which I think was unintentional).
the lip is a Pikie 3 with different bends. Flatten one, bend it right through the middle of the original eye slot (which should be about .92" from the base), then make your second bend .4" down and you will be close. The wire hole on the original is .18" from the lipslot bend (but since it is mounted below centerline it lines up with the hole that is .25 below centerline.....my advice is not to bother, just split the difference and mount on center). The original has a vertical wire loop.

The lip has a backwards bend to it, which moves the lip back some, sort of like a rebel. To do this, mount the lip in the plug, put it against the edge of a table and push down. The prototype swam fine without this step.

The original, with 3 old school 3/0 mustads weighs 2.95 oz. AYC will come out very close.

If you go to the shorelinebt.com site they have some good pictures

Finally, Habs Stix followed a slightly more recent version of this plug, but used a stock Pikie 3 lip from what I can see online. I don't know what he used for wood or what his plug weighed. Maybe someone who has one can tell us what it weighed with what kind of hooks on it.

Tagger 04-10-2009 07:50 AM

thanks George .. just eyeing your pic I penciled 1/4" forword on both hook locations .. I'll adjust and drill ... thanks ..

pbadad 04-10-2009 07:24 PM

George, what I gather you are redrilling another wire hole slot?

numbskull 04-11-2009 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 680818)
George, what I gather you are redrilling another wire hole slot?

Yup, but that is soooooooo frustrating a set of oval punches ($$$$$) looks better all the time. Will probably try a split point drill first.

saltydog 04-11-2009 06:32 AM

BEAUTIFUL:humpty:
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN

go4broke44 04-11-2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 680850)
Yup, but that is soooooooo frustrating a set of oval punches ($$$$$) looks better all the time. Will probably try a split point drill first.

If you don't need them to look too fancy, I just use a regular 5/32" twist drill for my lip holes when I make custom lips. The wire fits through fine, and you can set it either horizontal or vertical with no issues.

ProfessorM 04-11-2009 09:13 AM

G. I can help you out with a few. Also what about that center you showed me. Kill 2 birds with one stone.:D

numbskull 04-11-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go4broke44 (Post 680867)
If you don't need them to look too fancy, I just use a regular 5/32" twist drill for my lip holes when I make custom lips. The wire fits through fine, and you can set it either horizontal or vertical with no issues.

Yeah, that's the way I always did it, but there are two problems. First the drill often walks a bit or deflects as you start to cut, even (and I think often because) you punch the lip, so the hole ends up slightly off from where you intended. Secondly, the wire loop can twist in a round hole and end up affecting the plug's action.......a problem particularly at night. I've tried to get around this by drilling two small holes side by side, but that just doubles the chances of the first problem occurring and ruining the lip.

Paul, I'd be embarrassed to show you the lips I make. I never learned to work with metal and boy does it show.

ProfessorM 04-11-2009 12:41 PM

LOL. Well if it makes you feel better I could never diagnosis an aortic valve stenosis, and I don't think you would want me preforming CPR on you, so we are even.

I was under the impression you are using a made lip and would only need to make the slot perpendicular to the one that is in it now. Not much of a problem and a quick fix for a few of them.

pbadad 04-12-2009 07:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Inspired by Numbskull, I had to try my hand on this remake. It took a little while. Confirming to the .000" priceless. Had fun. Nice way to spend a dismal saturday. AYC, old pikie 3 lip stolen from a hanger plug. Reshape sizes I have ? The .92 from base 7 .4 height didn't come out exactly. I rebended slightly below o.e. slot. The #'s were almost exact. I added harware an obtained 2.5oz. I could add 2 7gram slug @ the CG to bring weight to 3oz. What do you think?

numbskull 04-12-2009 12:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos of the original and a copy, if you look closely you can see where I bent my lip. Also note how the original bends backwards, which has the effect of lining the lip up further back on the plug, like a plastic swimmer lip. You can see this better if you look at the pictures of other old MasterLures on the www.shorelinebt.com site. I'm not sure this is important, the prototype I built swam nicely with a standard lip bend, but you can make the bend by making the standard 90 degree bends, putting the lip in the plug, placing the lower bend against the edge of a table and pushing down.

Pdad, the front of your lip looks a bit long (mine seems a tad short). I think I measured the front of the original at 20 mm, but measuring lips to the bend is not exact.

As far as weight is concerned, I wouldn't sweat it, maybe just use 4/0 or 3/0 6x hooks. I doubt the hooks on the original are what came with the plug. They may have been bigger, like on the jointeds.

pbadad 04-12-2009 06:29 PM

Thanks for the input. I noticed in the pictures on the antique lure site that the 3 plugs have 3 different lip angle face bends. It seems that there was no wrong or right angle. I assume the bend wasn't a big factor. I'm going to make another lip with a smaller lip front,20MM. I was going by the .92 measurement. I will test swim both sizes and give my results. On the overall weight, I will up the hook sizealso. Do you think there would be any gain in action or castability by adding weight in the CG of the plug? Do you know how this plug swam in the original form? Thanks

ProfessorM 04-12-2009 06:54 PM

G. I noticed on some of those pictures the lip is not bent down. Is there much of a difference with it bent down or left the usual way?

ThrowingTimber 04-12-2009 07:06 PM

That thing is going to get SMOKED!!