Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Best Beginners Lure? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=87155)

Eric Roach 11-10-2014 11:45 AM

Best Beginners Lure?

I'm writing an Introduction to Plug Building article for the Plum Island Surfcasters' newsletter. In it, I'd like to give instructions for building a simple saltwater lure. The assumption is the reader would not need to have access to a lathe, drill press or chop saw.

I was thinking of a cigar popper in the 1.5 oz range, with these points in mind:
  • Made from a dowel
  • Rear taper shaped with rasp & sandpaper(?)
  • Egg sinker(s) for lead
  • Screw-eyes or brass sinker eyes (like the Frech W-Y)
  • Cupped face via Forstner bit or burned with carriage bolt (like Frech W-Y)
I think I'm going to recommend sealing with Helmsman. Paint would be via rattle-cans. Top coat would be clear spray lacquer.

I'm interested in any input you might have.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

iamskippy 11-10-2014 12:46 PM

How about pencils from old chair spindles. I recall speaking to an old timer that told me he use to pick up old wooden chairs on the side of the road and use the spindles or spooks and pencils.

stripermaineiac 11-10-2014 05:25 PM

My ist leads s a kid were split-shots. Loads of flexebility.

Eric Roach 11-10-2014 11:08 PM

• That's a neat idea, John; I'll mention that but I think the cigar popper might be an easier initial build.
  • Split shot is a good choice, Ron -- I'll mention that as well.

Zeal 11-18-2014 01:35 PM

.00 shot is very easy too (coming from a beginner)

Pete F. 11-18-2014 10:29 PM

I think the WY is a great starting point, in fact the whole French series of articles are great for a beginning plug builder. Any poly for a sealer to start and a can of white spray paint will get you started catching!

Eric Roach 11-28-2014 10:52 PM

Only problem with Frech's original W-Y specs' is the finished weight -- the original weighs-in close to 4 oz. This has to be in the weight range for a young angler to throw.

stripermaineiac 11-28-2014 11:43 PM

This is from memorie but here's my ist one in high school.
3/4 in dowel cut to 5 in with one end at a 45% angle
Sand other end to a taper
take a peice of sand paper an wrap around another peice of dowel
Hold in place and rub tapered end -the front end-of plug bodie back n forth till the taper is cupped a bit
drill pilot holes for screw eyes with a smalllll drill bit then put screw eyes in
belly hook is 2/3 rds of the way up from the tail
put in screw eyes . 1 to 1 1/4 in from tail hook drill a 1/4 in hole 1/2 in or so into the body from the bottom
I used 1/4 oz split shots but 00 buck works good.
glue in place-back then gasket glue was best.better stuff now
paint white with modeling paint
3 or 4 coats then let dry
wait a day-found out the hard way LOL-then put open eye hooks on
go fish it
Remeber this was back around 1970 . After Bob saw my ist one he showed me how to do tail hooks .This was one of my ist and it worked great. Learned how to through drill in shop but thats later.Weighed somewhere between 1 1/2 to 2 oz. Dowels were pretty heavy wood at times andseldom did I get the same type as I used scraps from the harware store mostly.School only had 1/2 in dowels. Ron