Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Poison Ivy, how to get rid of (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=40726)

goosefish 05-11-2007 07:40 AM

Poison Ivy, how to get rid of

Looks like I've got a sizable poison ivy patch growing along my fence and up a birch tree. Do I spray or cut? Someone told me that even the vine has oil in it, so if I cut the vine I can inhale the resin. Sounds like fun. Should I wear protective clothing, face shield and all, or should I wear nothing and simply jump in the shower afterward and lather myself?

likwid 05-11-2007 07:46 AM

Don't have nebe remove it. :rotf2:

The Dad Fisherman 05-11-2007 07:49 AM

Spray it 1st to kill it and then wear cover head to toe to remove it....then throw the clothes out. That oil is in the vine and everywhere. DO NOT BURN IT.....very bad if you inhale it.

Trunky 05-11-2007 07:54 AM

Spray with Brush B Gone, follow label directions, to kill a vine on a tree
cut out a section of the vine then paint or pour Brush B Gone (concentrate) on the cut vine (leading to the root).

If you have Poison Ivy around I'd buy a product called Technu. You can wash the oil off just about anything with this ( follow label directions !!). If you cut a vine wash the tool. If you get the rash, even days later Technu will lessen the suffering

goosefish 05-11-2007 07:56 AM

Yeah the spray is what I figured. Clothing too. Maybe I'll wear a painters suit and then toss it after.

UserRemoved1 05-11-2007 07:57 AM

NOW we know what nebe was humping :usd:

Quote:

Originally Posted by likwid (Post 490859)
Don't have nebe remove it. :rotf2:

Trunky 05-11-2007 07:59 AM

walking in it boots will pickup the oil, then when you take off the boots will transfer to your hands, then you go take a leak ....etc etc

use overboots if walking in thick PI, buy the tecnu saved me many itch

likwid 05-11-2007 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& (Post 490865)
NOW we know what nebe was humping :usd:

He found a hole in the fence? :jump1:

RIROCKHOUND 05-11-2007 10:21 AM

John;
If you were thinking about landscaping naked I'm never coming over again.

Swimmer 05-11-2007 10:43 AM

You can buy stuff in a spray bottle just for poison oak and ivy both. Shrivels it right up and turns black in a couple ofdays. Never even have to pick it up. Just used mine a couple of days ago again with good results. Can't remember the name. If you wish when I get home at midnight I will check for the name and let you know.

goosefish 05-11-2007 11:17 AM

I just went to the store and picked up two bottles of ORTHO. The stuff sounds like it'll do it. Thanks for the information.

saltfly 05-11-2007 12:33 PM

you can also use FELLS-NAPTHA laundry soap[it's the old brown soap that grandma said "she was going to wash your mouth out with if you say that again"]to wash your hands and tools.I had to work in that crap for over 30 yrs.The roots are the worst part of the plant.Tech-nu works well if you've been exposed.Use the herbicide and leave the plant in place until it's brittle dry.READ THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY

Swimmer 05-11-2007 06:57 PM

I remember my dad spraying gas on ivy in the 50's in Eatham at the cottage they had just bought. I remember everything being brown the next day.:rotf2:

Squid kids Dad 05-11-2007 08:07 PM

And I remember getting it everywhere helping Dad

Nebe 05-11-2007 08:20 PM

:hihi:

man i hate poison ivy.

sok 05-11-2007 09:39 PM

Sizable patch?
Mine is about the size of a football field.
After careful thought and going on past experience............
Go on vacation and pay someone else to remove it.
:kewl:

Napalm?

RickBomba 05-12-2007 01:57 AM

Mikey and I burnt some once.
Best to either pull it out in full FEMA gear or spray.
Spraying will kill the leaves, but the roots go on forever.
Mikey used to work for an enviromentally (mentally) friendly outfit at the Cape...remeber him being crazy infected after pulling the vines at Joey Kramer's house.
Good luck,
Hate the stuff,
Rick

Fishpart 05-12-2007 06:34 AM

From experience, don't mow or weedwack it..........

I killed a ton of it over the years by cutting the vines growing up the trees and spraying the small plants with round up. Now i need a little touch up spraying every spring and I'm all set.

goosefish 05-12-2007 07:29 AM

I friend of mine said she'd help. She's a plant women and said a lot of what you guys are saying--cut and spray. Don't @$%&* around.

Yesterday afternnon instead of working on the ivy patch, instead of mowing the lawn, I went fishing instead. :smash: :smash:

Raven 05-13-2007 05:13 PM

i hate it more....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 491090)

man i hate poison ivy.

take brewers yeast..... when you get it...

fells naptha brown laundry soap really cuts that oil... great...

UserRemoved1 05-13-2007 05:37 PM

whatever you do don't itch :rotf2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 491090)

man i hate poison ivy.