Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Boat Fishing & Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Aluminum boat transom (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=98633)

Hookedagain 01-31-2023 07:32 PM

Aluminum boat transom

I haven't changed the plywood that is bolted to the transom of an aluminum boat since I was a kid. I have a 16' Starcraft that has a piece of 3/4" plywood bolted to the transom and it is in need of replacement. Is there a better product out there? Or should I just use another piece of plywood? I was going to use treated or marine ply but asm't sure if there is something new that is better to use.

Spud

clambo 02-02-2023 10:36 AM

transom

Whatever you do don't use pressure treated with aluminum. It will eat your aluminum very quickly. I would use marine grade plywood with a sealer that it compatible with aluminum.

Hookedagain 02-02-2023 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clambo (Post 1238550)
Whatever you do don't use pressure treated with aluminum. It will eat your aluminum very quickly. I would use marine grade plywood with a sealer that it compatible with aluminum.

Good advice. I was unaware that there is a chemical reaction between the two. I have a piece of MDO (Medium Density Overlay) with the paper glued to one side. Its supposed to be marine grade, used on sign work a lot. I think some marine paint and primer and I'm good to go.

Guppy 02-02-2023 05:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Spud !
I’m thinking that MD won’t hold… I dun no !

I had a plywood delam over years and went with a pcs of pvc on the back and a pcs of , um, hard pine interior..
Not a ton of use yet but thinking it’ll outlive me… LOL

Attachment 69532

Attachment 69533

Slipknot 02-02-2023 10:50 PM

just get regular marine grade fir plywood
epoxy it and be done with it

if you plan to have it a long time, coat it with 3 coats of a thin enough penetrating epoxy to begin with once it is fitted. Then glass it in place.

Hookedagain 02-03-2023 03:28 PM

Thanks guys. I will talk to a buddy about a piece of Marine ply, and I might have a scrap of PVC laying around.

Rmarsh 02-04-2023 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookedagain (Post 1238685)
Thanks guys. I will talk to a buddy about a piece of Marine ply, and I might have a scrap of PVC laying around.

Hooked...I have alot of 3/4" pvc scraps in my shop that I would be happy to give you. Let me know approx size and I'll "hook" you up

Hookedagain 02-04-2023 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1238720)
Hooked...I have alot of 3/4" pvc scraps in my shop that I would be happy to give you. Let me know approx size and I'll "hook" you up

Thank you very much! I am up in North country right now, but will contact you this week.