Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   African Grey Parrot (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=17033)

goosefish 08-09-2004 04:25 PM

African Grey Parrot

A friend comes down for the weekend with a parrot and two small dogs. I come home from work today, the dogs are gone but the parrot is still in the living room grooming itself---I guess we now are owners of a parrot.

KLMulder 08-09-2004 04:30 PM

Can it talk? A family friend had one when I was a kid that you would swear knew what it was saying and could carry on a conversation.

goosefish 08-09-2004 04:40 PM

The bird is only 6 months old. Very cool looking. But I'm still kind of scared of the thing. Messy. Maybe I can get it to say: SW, high tide, time to go fishing. Go fishing, go fishing, leave everything and go fishing. Habs and eels. Jig on the bottom. Any Luck?

KLMulder 08-09-2004 04:47 PM

You can teach them to say anything. If I remember correctly they can learn something like 800 words. They can and will bite very hard, my ole man had a malookan ( spelling? ) she was given to him by a petshop he did business with. The people who had her beat her with a fly swatter, she would be fine and then just snap and go nuts. He did allot of research on parrots and found out that if they are abused they develop mental problems, there is actually a parrot mental home in the UK. LOL

Slingah 08-09-2004 04:59 PM

Slingah wants a fifty....RRAAAKK

likwid 08-09-2004 05:02 PM

Grays are incredibly smart parrots.
Becareful of the beak, it HURTS.

6mo's old? just a baby.

They're pretty awesome birds and worth big money.

tlapinski 08-10-2004 05:45 AM

sell Pedro to buy more fishing gear......

goosefish 08-10-2004 06:21 AM

I'd feel bad selling the bird when it was given to me. But I think I can get over it. Toby for you special deal: Bird plus the cage, pellet food, all the carrots I've got left, and Petco info-flyer, all for $1950. The bird would look pretty cool hanging outside of the camper. ?????

tlapinski 08-10-2004 06:24 AM

throw Cooper in and you have a deal!

cheferson 08-10-2004 06:47 AM

My parrot is driving me nuts right now, wont shut up. Doest talk much, but he mimicks every noise he hears from the phone, the door squeaking, the dog wining/barking, and many other anoying sounds.

likwid 08-10-2004 06:49 AM

He's bored.

maddog2020 08-10-2004 09:39 AM

Those birds need a lot of attention. When they don't get it they are self mutilating. :(

One of my wife's co-workers had one and it was a mess - plucked all the feathers off itself and so forth. Got so bad they had to put it down.

Those AG have a HUGE vocabulary - may be the best talkers I've have heard.

Nebe 08-10-2004 09:46 AM

If it really drives ou crazy, you can borrow my George Foreman Rotisserie oven :D

Toby, I got 1st dibs on Cooper:smash:

likwid 08-10-2004 10:10 AM

Like maddog said, they need a crapload of attention.
Esp. at 6mo's

Worse than any kid ever.

MakoMike 08-10-2004 12:50 PM

Goose,
we have a amazon, very similar to your grey. Ask if you have any questions and I'll try to answer or ask my wife. :D

jim24 08-10-2004 02:59 PM

get a hook...peg leg...big sword...throw it on your shoulder and be blackbeard

shark 08-10-2004 05:28 PM

Ive had an African Grey for 3 years, very intelligent, actually repeats 6 word sentences, mimics any and every noise possible. The downside is they are very high maintainence and extremely messy, pin feathers everywhere, moth eggs hatch from most bird foods (put new bird food in freezer for a few days to kill eggs), they are alot of fun but also alot of work.

MakoMike 08-11-2004 06:44 AM

Don't just feed it bird food, it isn't a complete diet for them, feed them anything and everything that you eat, except for chocolate, avocadoes and persimmons, those three are poison to most birds.
By all means feed it meat, and most parrots love the leg bones of a chicken, they'll crack them open and eat the marrow.

Notaro 08-11-2004 09:13 AM

where were the dogs, john?

goosefish 08-11-2004 03:57 PM

The dogs are still here. I've got two pugs. And a parrot.
Mike I've been feeding the bird lots of fruit. It loves grapes. The bird doesn't chatter that much, only when it wants to be taken out of its cage. I've built a play area for it out of drift wood, made some basic toys, and try to give the bird as much attention as I can give it. In time, after we have raised the bird, we may give it away to someone who really wants a parrot.

Surfcastinglife 08-11-2004 04:05 PM

my aunt has an amazon its wonderful <3 that bird parrots are really amazing animals

MakoMike 08-12-2004 07:17 AM

John,
Our bird easts a lot of veggies also. Just make sure you don't feed it any of the three no-nos. Our bird also loves chicken legs and the bones from lamb and pork chops, once in a while she'll even take the bone from a t-bone steak, but that's kind of big for her. Keep offering it things and let it experiment, it'll let you know when it likes something or if it doesn't like something. Another thing our bird loves is orange juice.

RIROCKHOUND 08-12-2004 07:29 AM

John...
give it the rack of a striper, maybe it will pick it clean :D
Julie has a parakeet... I hate the thing, doesnt talk, makes noise anytime water runs, but the parrot at the pet store at salt pond is cool, at least he talks!!

Billybob 08-12-2004 08:14 AM

Quote:

the dogs are gone but the parrot is still in the living room grooming itself---
WOW - Did the Parrot eat the dogs:D

MakoMike 08-12-2004 12:38 PM

Bryan,
If you mean the green one with the blue & Yellow head, that one is the same kind as mine.

RIROCKHOUND 08-12-2004 01:52 PM

Yeah that one, little parakeetes dont do chit for me, and I have to live with one...

MakoMike 08-16-2004 08:56 AM

Goose,
Forgot to ask, is it a Timney or Congo gray? Not that it make a difference, just curious.

goosefish 08-16-2004 03:35 PM

Mike the parrot is going to a new home. A friend in town who I went to URI with is taking the bird. She is a bird person: an actual ornithologist. She jumped on the offer for a free African Grey.
Not sure what species it is.
The bird will have a good home.

RIROCKHOUND 08-16-2004 03:36 PM

"The bird will have a good home."
And you'll have your sanity...

Van 08-17-2004 07:34 AM

I've had parrots all my life, even raised some keets for a while.
Right now I've got a quaker and my daughter found a keet on a duck boat in the charles (yes thats right no typo!)...

If she changes her mind on taking it, I will take/buy it from you.
Can keep the other 2 company...