Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Convention speakers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=78955)

Jim in CT 08-28-2012 08:54 AM

Convention speakers

The GOP convention will feature governors Scott Walker (WI) and John Kasich (OH). These 2 governors will explain how they inherited horrible messes from their predecessors, implemented conservative economic principles, and can point to data that irrefutably shows that those principles are working (these states have lowered taxes, created jobs, and decreased debt).

On the other side, the Democrtatic convention will have Sandra Fluke and Eva Longoria screaming about their desire for free condoms.

Compare the lineup of speakers at each convention. The GOP will have govs Jindal, Christie, and Haley. The Dems have the presidents of NARAL and Planned Parenthood? Oh, and Caroline Kennedy, who has done nothing with her life except trade on her inherited royal status. The GOP will show actual, hard data to suggest that conservative ideas work when implemented. The Democrats' message will be that my side hates women. That's what Obama is hanging his hat on. And it could very well work.

RIJIMMY 08-28-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 955906)
Eva Longoria screaming about their desire for free condoms.

mmmmmmmm, I may have to change my political affiliation.

spence 08-28-2012 12:42 PM

Scott Walker balanced the WI budget largely by borrowing money. Ohio's job growth was largely fueled by infrastructure spending (a lot of industrial equipment) and more importantly the auto bail out.

If these are fact based conservative policies they should make for interesting speakers.

-spence

Jim in CT 08-28-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 955961)
Scott Walker balanced the WI budget largely by borrowing money. Ohio's job growth was largely fueled by infrastructure spending (a lot of industrial equipment) and more importantly the auto bail out.

If these are fact based conservative policies they should make for interesting speakers.

-spence

OK, Spence. So WI and OH turned things around by having the government borrow and spend more. Got it.

Spence, if that's true (and of course it's not), why has that approach faired so poorly in CT, MA, RI, and Washington DC?

spence 08-28-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 955984)
OK, Spence. So WI and OH turned things around by having the government borrow and spend more. Got it.

Spence, if that's true (and of course it's not), why has that approach faired so poorly in CT, MA, RI, and Washington DC?

Different situations.

Ohio has benefited from a recovering auto industry of which there's little supply chain in the north east. Ohio also does have a lot of heavy manufacturing which has rebounded well with international infrastructure development and stimulus spending domestically.

Walker certainly did cut some costs, but I believe he's also diverted banking settlement money into the general fund and borrowed $500M to restructure WI debt.

The point being, you can't just say short-term policy has led to growth or stability when there are a number of factors at play...many of which could be geographic or dealing with larger trends.

-spence

Jim in CT 08-28-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 955996)
Different situations.

Ohio has benefited from a recovering auto industry of which there's little supply chain in the north east. Ohio also does have a lot of heavy manufacturing which has rebounded well with international infrastructure development and stimulus spending domestically.

Walker certainly did cut some costs, but I believe he's also diverted banking settlement money into the general fund and borrowed $500M to restructure WI debt.

The point being, you can't just say short-term policy has led to growth or stability when there are a number of factors at play...many of which could be geographic or dealing with larger trends.

-spence

"Ohio also does have a lot of heavy manufacturing which has rebounded well with international infrastructure development"

Spence, please share with us the data that says that infastrusture spending is drivingthe Ohio recovery? What have they done there?

We haven't donemuch infastructure spending. Much of the stimulus money went to public labor unions. I don't see how that helps manufacturing.

striperman36 08-28-2012 05:46 PM

Don't forget Haley Barbour busting all the unions down there. Using her high heels as weapons in political battles
Nice cheap southern wages with no workers rights

scottw 08-28-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striperman36 (Post 956003)
Don't forget Haley Barbour busting all the unions down there. Using her high heels as weapons in political battles

Haley Barbour wears high heels :confused:

striperman36 08-28-2012 06:07 PM

Yep you seen him run down the street in red ruby high heels!

Actually it was Nikki Haley

scottw 08-28-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striperman36 (Post 956007)
Yep you seen him run down the street in red ruby high heels!

Actually it was Nikki Haley

thought you had a scoop for a minute there:boots:

Jim in CT 08-28-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 956011)
thought you had a scoop for a minute there:boots:

If Haley Barbour wore high heels, that would necessarily make him a Democrat...

Just saw Mia Love speak at the convention...black, female, republican mayor in Utah, running for Congress, her parents were Haitian immigrants. Awesome story. She might not be able to top Eva Longoria, I'm sure, but still impressive...

Jim in CT 08-28-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Those workers have at least one right...the right to go work somplace else if they don't like the low wages offered in the public sector...

striperman36 08-28-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 956013)
Those workers have at least one right...the right to go work somplace else if they don't like the low wages offered in the public sector...

I'm talking private sector jobs Jim

scottw 08-28-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

I was unaware that South Carolina has no workers rights :confused:

striperman36 08-28-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 956028)
I was unaware that South Carolina has no workers rights :confused:

no lunch break, no vacation or sick leave. Employers may decrease an employees salary with seven days notice. Employees can be terminated without reason or notice

scottw 08-29-2012 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striperman36 (Post 956029)
no lunch break, no vacation or sick leave. Employers may decrease an employees salary with seven days notice. Employees can be terminated without reason or notice

well.....

"there are no requirements under South Carolina law forcing an employer to give an employee a lunch break. Employees may also be fired without a specific reason, as long as it's not an illegal reason, and are not guaranteed "benefits" such as paid days off, sick days or paid vacation days. Employers can also decrease employees' payment if they notify them in writing seven calendar days before the decrease."

I really don't see a problem with these...I'm pretty sure that workers in SC have "rights", these aren't really "rights", more like employer burdens that government may impose on employers in other states, workers have the option("right") not to work where employers do not pay for lunch breaks, days off, sick days,vacation days and can hold you accountable for your performance:)..you might be confusing "rights" and "benefits" in many cases.....maybe you meant Mississippi?

Jim in CT 08-29-2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striperman36 (Post 956015)
I'm talking private sector jobs Jim

What 'rights' don't those workers have?

Jim in CT 08-29-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striperman36 (Post 956029)
Employees can be terminated without reason or notice

That's what every private sector worker in the nation lives with. Your 'job security' lies with making sure your boss knows that he is better off with you than he is without you.

And there needs to be a legal reason to fire someone, or the company gets sued.

scottw 08-29-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 956057)
What 'rights' don't those workers have?

rights to government mandated benefits....sometimes referred to as entitlements..most of the instances he cited involved getting paid when you aren't actually working....:uhuh:

Jim in CT 08-29-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 956068)
rights to government mandated benefits....sometimes referred to as entitlements..most of the instances he cited involved getting paid when you aren't actually working....:uhuh:

There is a 'mystery speaker' on the schedule for Thursday night at the convention. Maybe Sarah Palin or General Petrayus?

I thought Ann Romney was awesome (better than some angry jerk who says she's never been proud of her country), and I thought Chris Christie was pretty good.

Raider Ronnie 08-29-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 956071)
There is a 'mystery speaker' on the schedule for Thursday night at the convention. Maybe Sarah Palin or General Petrayus?

I thought Ann Romney was awesome (better than some angry jerk who says she's never been proud of her country), and I thought Chris Christie was pretty good.

It's going to be nice to have a lady in the white house instead of that we have now.
I thought Ann was great.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PaulS 08-29-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie (Post 956081)
It's going to be nice to have a lady in the white house instead of that we have now.
I thought Ann was great.

You and Jim are both very classy!

I did hear part of Christie's speech. He didn't mention that he didn't want to be Romney's VP b/c he didn't think he could win and that NJ's unemployment rate was higher than when he took over and that their rev. is down even thought he promised it would be up due to tax cuts.

Didn't the Ohio governor take credit for the Ohio recovery even though both he and Romney were against the auto bailout.

RIROCKHOUND 08-29-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 956083)
Didn't the Ohio governor take credit for the Ohio recovery even though both he and Romney were against the auto bailout.

That doesn't matter. Only 1:10 (or was it 1:8?) Jobs in Ohio are related to auto industry in some way.....

Fly Rod 08-29-2012 09:11 AM

They were all great speakers...:)

justplugit 08-29-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fly Rod (Post 956091)
They were all great speakers...:)

Yup, refreshing. Good to hear people who are inspiring, not dividing everyone
into a group or class.

With Christie, what you see is what you get. Nobodies lunch meat, see and admit the tough problems and get them fixed. Musta scared some people. :)

Jim in CT 08-29-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 956083)
You and Jim are both very classy!

I did hear part of Christie's speech. He didn't mention that he didn't want to be Romney's VP b/c he didn't think he could win and that NJ's unemployment rate was higher than when he took over and that their rev. is down even thought he promised it would be up due to tax cuts.

"He didn't mention that he didn't want to be Romney's VP b/c he didn't think he could win..."

PaulS, I didn't know you were privvy to those discussions. That's pure speculation. But I'm stating fact when I say that Michelle said she wasn't proud of her country.

PaulS 08-29-2012 09:42 AM

Most of all of our postings are speculation, conjecture, falsehoods, hyperbole and outright distortions:grins:

Jim in CT 08-29-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 956103)
Most of all of our postings are speculation, conjecture, falsehoods, hyperbole and outright distortions:grins:

Michelle Obama said she was not proud of her country until her hubby got the nomination. That's fact.

You said Christie turned down the VP slot because he thought Romney couldn't win. That's made up jibberish.

If you want to categorize yourself as guilty of falsehoods and distortions, I agree with you, that's what you do. Please refrain from lumping others into that categorization.

Raider Ronnie 08-29-2012 10:29 AM

[QUOTE=PaulS;956083]You and Jim are both very classy!

Us classy ?
Last time I checked no other 1st lady was a guest editor for a smutt magazine as was reported fat ass Michelle is doing.
Classy 1st lady !

Raider Ronnie 08-29-2012 10:33 AM

Today the liberal media is all over her calling Ann Ronmey a Corporate wife.
I'll take the corporate wife over the gimme handouts her whole life wife.