Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Boat Fishing & Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   ethanol expansion? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=98750)

wdmso 03-28-2023 08:13 AM

ethanol expansion?

Funny while doing maintenance on my Yamaha was replacing the fuel filter on the motor like I do yearly

And it wouldn’t come off as if it was super glued. Got it off with great effort. But when I attempted to put it back on it appeared to big?

So I did some research on the Hull Truth and learned about ethanol expansion?

Anyone else have this happened?

The solution believe or not is taking the whole unit off and putting in the freezer . Time to buy a new one

piemma 03-28-2023 08:34 AM

Wayne, I had a Yami 115 (Like Guppys) for 6 or 7 years. Changed the filter every year but I never had this problem.

wdmso 03-28-2023 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1240183)
Wayne, I had a Yami 115 (Like Guppys) for 6 or 7 years. Changed the filter every year but I never had this problem.

I Figured it took 10 years to happen. I can’t complain. Found the reason interesting. If the new one takes as long to fail I’ll be happy

Update think I might know what caused it .

seems I am missing a rubber o ring which probably let fuel seep onto the threads causing it to swell never enough to drip or pool

The replacement bowls like 100 bucks . Oh well could be worse
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma 03-28-2023 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1240184)
I Figured it took 10 years to happen. I can’t complain. Found the reason interesting. If the new one takes as long to fail I’ll be happy

Update think I might know what caused it .

seems I am missing a rubber o ring which probably let fuel seep onto the threads causing it to swell never enough to drip or pool

The replacement bowls like 100 bucks . Oh well could be worse
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Ya, I only had mine for 6 or 7 years. Gotta say I love Yami 4 strokes. Bullet proof except for the VST filter, right Ray!

Got Stripers 03-28-2023 01:11 PM

Ethanol is probably the stupidest idea ever and it killed many a 2 stroke yard tool of mine before I smartened up. For years I've been going to the Falmouth Airpark to buy my ethanol free gas, to run in my blower, tiller and three chain saws. It's a few bucks more a gallon, but way way cheaper than the ethanol free gas you might buy from a landscape supply and equipment store.

Guppy 03-28-2023 03:29 PM

Yes, same here, had to use scanner wrench to tighten the plastic canister,,, finally bought a whole new filter assembly,,,, that uses an updated size filter,,,, order o ring with the filter each year also…

Airpark !! Hellorvah idea Bob….

Got Stripers 03-28-2023 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1240193)
Yes, same here, had to use scanner wrench to tighten the plastic canister,,, finally bought a whole new filter assembly,,,, that uses an updated size filter,,,, order o ring with the filter each year also…

Airpark !! Hellorvah idea Bob….

You can’t pull a car or boat up to the pump and in theory you should have a small plane in a hanger, call me if you want to get the heads up on getting some containers filled. I usually time a golf round in the area and bring a 2-1/2 gallon jug with me.

Guppy 03-29-2023 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1240195)
You can’t pull a car or boat up to the pump and in theory you should have a small plane in a hanger, call me if you want to get the heads up on getting some containers filled. I usually time a golf round in the area and bring a 2-1/2 gallon jug with me.

Awesome thanks, I may be up your way soon…… Haddooooock ! I’ll drop off a Jerry jug….