Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Street Signs? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=98305)

Jimbo 08-23-2022 07:45 AM

Street Signs?

Had an email from one of the elders in my neighborhood that around half the street signs in our neighborhood were removed recently. He got in touch with the town to see about having them replaced. They'll get to us eventually. Apparently, it's a problem they're seeing all around the town. I just want to know what would possess someone to collect lots of random street signs?

Guppy 08-23-2022 05:03 PM

Vandals?

Jimbo 08-24-2022 01:41 PM

They were Viking Vandals and quiet ones, too. Every sign that was taken had to do with the Norsemen who allegedly might have anchored in the area way, way back in the day.
My grandfather got a kick when, back before this area was developed, he used to take visitors up here in his boat, telling them that, "They were going to see Leif Ericson's hole." (It was actually the hole in the rock they made to anchor to).

Mike P 08-24-2022 04:28 PM

Back to school/college scavenger hunt, maybe?

piemma 08-24-2022 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo (Post 1231633)
Had an email from one of the elders in my neighborhood that around half the street signs in our neighborhood were removed recently. He got in touch with the town to see about having them replaced. They'll get to us eventually. Apparently, it's a problem they're seeing all around the town. I just want to know what would possess someone to collect lots of random street signs?

Kids put them in their bedrooms. We did when I was a kid.

Guppy 08-24-2022 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1231719)

I still have some in the shed my boys procured,,,,,

nightfighter 08-24-2022 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1231719)

Yep. And my parents marched me right down to the DPW department head to apologize and return them... Was so embarrassed, but was one of those life lessons.

Jimbo 08-26-2022 12:28 PM

I wouldn't deny taking the sign at the end of my street when I was 16, but that was after someone else knocked it down and it was left lying on the ground for a week (and I asked my father, too). But six signs, yea, sounds like an end of summer prank.
(Actually, I still have the sign in my garage here on the Cape, along with my Town of Yarmouth No Parking sign that I got when I...never mind).

Guppy 08-26-2022 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo (Post 1231852)
I wouldn't deny taking the sign at the end of my street when I was 16, but that was after someone else knocked it down and it was left lying on the ground for a week (and I asked my father, too). But six signs, yea, sounds like an end of summer prank.
(Actually, I still have the sign in my garage here on the Cape, along with my Town of Yarmouth No Parking sign that I got when I...never mind).

I’m tellin! ;-)