Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Hey Nightfighter (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=97745)

t_man7 11-02-2021 07:50 PM

Hey Nightfighter

2 Attachment(s)
Let’s just hope the through holes line up :spin:

nightfighter 11-02-2021 08:09 PM

Very nice! I can see you are enjoying this aspect of angling! Great to see!

Higgie 11-03-2021 05:51 AM

Nice t man many ways to thru drill depending on your setup sharp bits and patience are key. Feed and speed. I started going up a size in drill bits for hard woods last year and accuracy def increased
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rockfish9 11-03-2021 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgie (Post 1216974)
Nice t man many ways to thru drill depending on your setup sharp bits and patience are key. Feed and speed. I started going up a size in drill bits for hard woods last year and accuracy def increased

All of this^^^ I also.made a jig to hold the plugs that I drill on the drill l press perpendicular so the drill and plug are on the same plane,these are the ones I have cut the ends off, like darters,most are drilled on a lathe before I cut off the ends, IMHO. the larger size drill bit also aids in the sealer getting into the plug easier, and drying...

pbadad 11-03-2021 06:32 AM

Tommy looks nice. Mahogany is grainy but i use often for needles.
I do thru drill first on lathe b/4 turning. I did do that method girst for years w/o lathe on drill press. Set a center point on press table then adjust height and used a couple bits to accomplish thru hole. Lathe does make it easier because of the infinite feed length
The drill press limits feed pending on drill press model. Table tops have limited feed compared to.floor models.

Higgie 11-03-2021 11:23 AM

I picked up a floor model drill press with a long throw on Craigslist’s for cheap and bought a jig from Jeff bezos that aligns your blocks straight drill from both sides starting with smaller bits shorter bits then working up. The process is lengthy but if I mess up a thru hole before going through all the other steps I at least have kindling for the fire place. Hoping Santa brings me a setup to start drilling on the lathe

Pete F. 11-03-2021 11:53 AM

I never had a fancy setup to drill on the lathe, just a cheap chuck mounted on a taper that I put on the drive side and then held the blank against the tailstock with a dead center and slid the tailstock.
If you have an old junk drill, you can buy a morse taper attachment cheap and use the chuck off the drill.

Start off with a regular length drill bit from both ends, then do the long bit.

Sometimes small hole in head and large hole in back works better.

Just don't hold the blank where the end of the drill bit is......

t_man7 11-06-2021 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockfish9 (Post 1216975)
All of this^^^
IMHO. the larger size drill bit also aids in the sealer getting into the plug easier, and drying...

Thanks guys, I didn’t think about that. I have been reading your articles on noreast.
Tommy

t_man7 11-06-2021 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 1216977)
Tommy looks nice. Mahogany is grainy but i use often for needles.
I do thru drill first on lathe b/4 turning. I did do that method girst for years w/o lathe on drill press. Set a center point on press table then adjust height and used a couple bits to accomplish thru hole. Lathe does make it easier because of the infinite feed length
The drill press limits feed pending on drill press model. Table tops have limited feed compared to.floor models.

I do both methods, I prefer neither. I have a drawer slide EastEndLou jig that makes it a breeze, but doesn’t work well with plugs over about 9”. I have been looking at a drill doctor for sharpening, have you used one?

t_man7 11-06-2021 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgie (Post 1217028)
I picked up a floor model drill press with a long throw on Craigslist’s for cheap and bought a jig from Jeff bezos that aligns your blocks straight drill from both sides starting with smaller bits shorter bits then working up. The process is lengthy but if I mess up a thru hole before going through all the other steps I at least have kindling for the fire place. Hoping Santa brings me a setup to start drilling on the lathe

I just set up a brand new grizzly 14”. I tried the drilling on the lathe but honestly am not a fan. I like the lathe for turning.
Tommy

t_man7 11-06-2021 01:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Cloned Paulies needle————
Doing two with belly weights, and two with tail weights on the through wire.

pbadad 11-06-2021 08:06 AM

Tommy they real nice. Use using a Vega? I use Drill Doctor. Works fine. Just determine your bit angle, 118 or 135. Does split points also.
I also use long fluted bits 5/32 & 3/16". They're made from Norseman. Limited size on 5/32" bits. Not available now 6" in 5/32. Only 9" 12" . Available in 3/16" 6,9,12" .
I tried to search for 6" long flutes. Found 8". Some are pricey.
So I have one bit left. Why because sh*t happens and bits break. Ouch!! Lately Ill do 3/16" on the plugs longer than 8". I just finished drilling >100 this week. 2 duds. 2 drill bit method . 1400 -2k rpm. Birch. Cleaning ever 1/4"-1/2" depth. In &out. Monotonous for sure.
I would like to see the slide unit
Lou made. We spoke years back at Plugfest and he was very innovative like Prof M in concocting jigs.

t_man7 11-06-2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 1217272)
Tommy they real nice. Use using a Vega? I use Drill Doctor. Works fine. Just determine your bit angle, 118 or 135. Does split points also.
I also use long fluted bits 5/32 & 3/16". They're made from Norseman. Limited size on 5/32" bits. Not available now 6" in 5/32. Only 9" 12" . Available in 3/16" 6,9,12" .
I tried to search for 6" long flutes. Found 8". Some are pricey.
So I have one bit left. Why because sh*t happens and bits break. Ouch!! Lately Ill do 3/16" on the plugs longer than 8". I just finished drilling >100 this week. 2 duds. 2 drill bit method . 1400 -2k rpm. Birch. Cleaning ever 1/4"-1/2" depth. In &out. Monotonous for sure.
I would like to see the slide unit
Lou made. We spoke years back at Plugfest and he was very innovative like Prof M in concocting jigs.

No Vega, I’m freehand turning everything at the moment. I have a large Vega sitting in the basement that I still need to put on a Delta Lathe I have, but have to assemble that as well.

I hate drilling birch, H’Islander from the other site gave away one part of the slide jig that Lou made on the other site a little while ago. I think Tony (Antagonizer) beat me to it.

With Lou’s Jig you only need one bit (12”).
Tommy

pbadad 11-07-2021 08:44 AM

With all the grain in various woods, that's some feat using a 12" bit w/o a small starter bit. Is the bit somehow supported?

t_man7 11-07-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 1217333)
Is the bit somehow supported?

Bingo

afterhours 11-07-2021 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_man7 (Post 1217258)
I have a drawer slide EastEndLou jig that makes it a breeze, but doesn’t work well with plugs over about 9”.

Use an 8" bit and drill from each end and meet in the middle.