Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Computers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Picture storage? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=64410)

tlapinski 06-13-2010 12:25 PM

Picture storage?

I have a LOT of pictures saved to my computer. Trying to clean things up after a recent computer meltdown (stupid viruses... :fury:) and I was looking to move the pictures off my computer. What is a good way to store them? Burn to CD? Save to some picture website? Other? I was thinking about burning them to CD, but then I will have to dig through a pile of CD's each time I need to use a picture. I am sure someone has a good idea for this. :confused:

PRBuzz 06-13-2010 01:00 PM

Buy an external USB connected hard drive. You can now get a terabyte drive for less than $100. Lots easier everything and much faster than burning CDs.

striperman36 06-13-2010 01:20 PM

carbonite online backup, even external drives will fail

Raven 06-13-2010 01:41 PM

since you only talkin Pictures :point: photobucket for $25 per year

you can upload multiple pictures at a time and save them into different folders

tynan19 06-13-2010 05:35 PM

Second the external hard drive.

spence 06-13-2010 05:48 PM

I bought a double layer DVD drive a while back and use that. Over 8GB on a disk will hold a lot of pics...

-spence

Raven 06-13-2010 08:32 PM

but........

you don't get the direct linking of the photo from your external hard drive....so it depends on how you want to share or send the pictures
weather it be via email or a different presentation.

tynan19 06-14-2010 08:16 PM

Still you own in your possession your photos. If you load them to photobucket and something happens to that company/site your screwed. I would rather have them filed onto an external harddrive where all I have to do is plug it into a usb port and there they are.

The Dad Fisherman 06-15-2010 05:05 AM

External hdd AND cd/dvd Burner.......Your hdd crashes and you lose everything. Keep it on the hard drive for easy retrieval and back them up to cd/dvd and store them over the families or in-laws house.

you can't replace pictures.

tlapinski 06-15-2010 06:56 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. The external hard drive sounds like it may be the way to go for me. I will need easy access to the images for retreival at later dates for different projects I will be working on. Any suggesitons for a particular model or company to steer away from or stick with?

The Dad Fisherman 06-15-2010 09:35 AM

I just picked up a LaCie 2tb Mirrored external for 1tb of storage....but when 1 drive crashes I can still get my data back...pretty sweet unit. I'm looking at picking up another 1

LaCie Hard Disk MAX Design by Neil Poulton 2 TB External hard drive - 480 Mbps / internal: 480 MBps

Raven 06-16-2010 07:12 AM

holy mother of God Kev

terabytes of storage now???

yikes !:shocked:

you could create a folder on one of them
for every S-B member
and not even dent it

The Dad Fisherman 06-16-2010 07:24 AM

or you could copy a chitload of movies and already burned through the space and need more :hee:

PRBuzz 06-16-2010 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 774132)
terabytes of storage now???

yikes !:shocked:

you could create a folder on one of them
for every S-B member
and not even dent it

BigFish might put a dent in a TByte!

Soon: pentabytes!

Raven 06-16-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRBuzz (Post 774139)
BigFish might put a dent in a TByte!

Bigfish could put a DENT in Anything !:smash:

MrHunters 06-17-2010 11:31 AM

check out fotki.com
unlimited photo storage for cheap per year. I think it's 10 bucks.

SO whats good about that is you don't have to compress your photos. Upload all the 9 megapixel photos you want.

EricW 07-04-2010 03:03 PM

I would 2nd, 3rd...the external HD idea. I have several and they work like a charm. What I wanted to add though is whatever you end up doing, make another copy and give it to a friend/relative or keep one at work. That way you have it off site. Online backup services work well for this too. If anything unthinkable happens all your data isn't in one location. You may also want to back up your documents, tax files and other personal info you may have on there. If you end up with USB, check out the features, some include backup software, and one of the Western digital I have includes password protection. You can always add third party encryption later too if you would like.

Good luck. Good to be thinking of this before something really bad happens.