Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Grumpy Old Pharts Board (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   farkin jury duty in Foulmouth in the AM (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=45601)

Karl F 12-17-2007 04:18 PM

farkin jury duty in Foulmouth in the AM

Tagger 12-17-2007 04:30 PM

I kinda like jury duty ... got picked once for 5 days ,, Hang em :hang:.. Its interresting and our duty . Don't want all OJ jurys . Not being a wise guy .. I think to myself, alot of our generation died in Nam .. Least I can do is jury duty .. shame on those for sniveling out of it .

Tagger 12-17-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl F (Post 547780)
if I get sat on one, it'll be my third... civic duty and all that, I am NOT a shirker.. trust me :hee:

I know bro ... just talkin general ... no disrespect ..

nightfighter 12-17-2007 04:56 PM

I gatta go 30 miles, up to Newburyport for my civic duty on Jan 3..........

Couldn't have gotten something closer like Salem, or even Lynn???? I had already postponed from July and had requested Dec 24........... now I have to take what they give me....:rtfm:

BW from AZ 12-17-2007 05:01 PM

United States District Court jury service telling me its for the entire "MONTH" of january. never shirked an never been called to sit, it could kill me $ not to work for a month.

nightfighter 12-17-2007 05:40 PM

Sounds like you are going to be part of a grand jury.

HOCKEYCOACH 12-17-2007 06:45 PM

Karl, I've done duty from here in Truro to Barbstable, but Falmouth, I'd rather drive to Boston. It's like when I have to work in Chatham. It suks, there's no easy way to get to Chatham or Falmouth. I call in dead for jury duty.

ktugboat42 12-18-2007 02:15 AM

Orleans is a great place for jury duty. Sign in, go home, come back to court house for a half hour, go to lunch. Plus i was selected as foreman and got to say "GUILTY AS CHARGED"

Backbeach Jake 12-18-2007 06:25 AM

Ive been four or five times. The last time my boss asked why I didn't try to get out of it. I told him that if those kids could go to Iraq, then I could suck it up and go to JD. Glad I don't work for that jerk anymore.

fishonnelsons 12-18-2007 10:18 AM

Geez Karl, if I had known you were possibly going to be on the jury I would've told my lawyer to plead out now and take the inevitable!!

FishermanTim 12-18-2007 11:56 AM

The old system was much more interesting.
back in '82 I got called for jury duty in downtown Boston (Suffolk Couty) and back then when you call duty it was for one month, not one day.
Needless to say, I got out of work for the month of July, and since most judges took their vacations during the summer months, I got out early a lot of times. During that month I was picked to 2 trials.
The best part was that you were paid (I believe) $50.00 a day for the duty, and I was also paid from my regular job.
Of course, now it's one day or one trial, and you only get paid if it last more than 3 days.
I have jury duty in February (got the notice a couple of weeks back), and I am not shirky my civic resposibility. I love seeing how the system ACTUALLY works, not how it works on TV.

Swimmer 12-18-2007 01:17 PM

Federal garnd jury in Boston is for eighteen months. Every Friday for eighteen months. Ouch. New a 75 year old woman who took the train in for that long a period of time.

justplugit 12-18-2007 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl F (Post 547965)
:D.... Orleans... they won't call me there..... we uh... "share" .....clientle.. ;)

:rotf3:

Rockfish9 12-18-2007 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 547782)
I gatta go 30 miles, up to Newburyport for my civic duty on Jan 3..........

Couldn't have gotten something closer like Salem, or even Lynn???? I had already postponed from July and had requested Dec 24........... now I have to take what they give me....:rtfm:

NBPT. is a good one to draw, I've had it twice.... beats the hell out of Lowell...been there too!

ProfessorM 12-19-2007 11:56 AM

Be happy you aren't going to Brockton like I am in Jan.

jim mullen 12-21-2007 09:49 PM

Hi, Feel lucky that you are not on the other side.

Happy Holidays
Jim

Jenn 12-22-2007 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim mullen (Post 548853)
Hi, Feel lucky that you are not on the other side.

Happy Holidays
Jim

very true.

Karl-I will trade you for Springfield or Holyoke......
I dont mind Jury duty itself....its more the location.

Raven 12-22-2007 02:43 PM

i got free of it...in a no need to show.... and we'll call you again someday.... voice message....

now JPI ain't gotta worry bout a death penalty trial anymore.:fishslap:

justplugit 12-22-2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 548963)

now JPI ain't gotta worry bout a death penalty trial anymore.:fishslap:

You been readin while MIA. :D

Only time i'd worry if it was me on trial. :hihi:

Flaptail 12-24-2007 06:17 PM

Two years ago I got called for jury duty in Orleans. 90 degrees in the shade and I was a train wreck from the night before at an office cookout. 1 out of 8 cases went to trial and guess who got picked and on top of it all I was picked jury foreman.

Interesting but scary experience as a number of my fellow jurors were not that smart. I had to have one expelled and the alternate brought in. We were all from upper Cape but sent to Orleans.

Swimmer 12-26-2007 11:52 AM

Guy down the cape last week told the judge he was a homophobic, lying racist to get out of jury duty. Judge Nickerson held him in cointempt all day in the lockup. More to follow.

fishbones 12-28-2007 12:20 PM

I was recently scheduled for JD in New Bedford for late January and had it switched to May. I have no problem serving on a jury, but if I'm going to serve I'm heading out fishing at the end of the day. I had to go just over 3 years ago in Dedham, but was sent home. One of the guys there got out of it by telling them he would make a great juror because he can tell if someone is guilty by looking at them. I don't know if it was a ploy to get out of it, or if he was really that dumb.

fishbones 05-17-2011 09:36 AM

So I just got selected for jury duty again! Have to go to Fall River on Aug. 1, which is a week I'm suposed to be taking off for vacation. The last one from May 2008 got pushed back to 7/31/08. Now I have to go exactly 3 years and 1 day later. They must have me on some kind of list to call every 3 years. This is the 3rd time in less than 10 years and 4th time overall for me.

The last 2 times I was picked and then dismissed when they questioned the group of us. Once because a hospital was being sued and I used to work for one and the other time because the prosecutor knew my dad, who's a defense attorney. The first time I had jury duty, they never called my group in and I was sent home.

Swimmer 05-17-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 547793)
Sounds like you are going to be part of a grand jury.

Federal grand jury generally meets every Friday for 18 months. 30 day jury duty is being on call in the trial pool I would bet. Sorry to hear this. New a lady who was 77 at the time did grand jury in Boston for the es. ntire 18 months, taking the train into south station every day. I haven't had it in a long time. Knock on wood.

nightfighter 05-17-2011 01:34 PM

I'm up again.... June 15 in Salem

FishermanTim 05-17-2011 02:22 PM

I had duty last month. Was called for Rozbury District Court in Dudley Square. I did not reschedule, or relocate. My family gave me the "What? Are you crazy of something?" and I told them that I don't care where I serve, but that I can serve as my civic duty.
Bottom line: there were 26-28 cases pending for the day and all but one settled thru a plea deal. The last one was held over for a later date. We got out by 3:00 and I met some truly interesting people as well!

Back in the 80's when I got called the first time, I spend one whole month (I think it was either June or August) having to report to the "pool". I was called for 2 cases and was foreman on the first one.

All I can say is that it sure beats the heck out of the TV court room dramas when you're actually sitting in a court room listening to the proceedings!

Mike P 05-17-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbones (Post 859043)
So I just got selected for jury duty again! Have to go to Fall River on Aug. 1, which is a week I'm suposed to be taking off for vacation. The last one from May 2008 got pushed back to 7/31/08. Now I have to go exactly 3 years and 1 day later. They must have me on some kind of list to call every 3 years. This is the 3rd time in less than 10 years and 4th time overall for me.

The last 2 times I was picked and then dismissed when they questioned the group of us. Once because a hospital was being sued and I used to work for one and the other time because the prosecutor knew my dad, who's a defense attorney. The first time I had jury duty, they never called my group in and I was sent home.

You can get one automatic postponement from the Commissioner of Jurors. There should be a section on your jury summons that you can fill out and send back.

fishbones 05-17-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 859126)
You can get one automatic postponement from the Commissioner of Jurors. There should be a section on your jury summons that you can fill out and send back.

I think I'll just go on 8/1. Summer is pretty slow for me at work and my boss has no problem with me taking a day off for JD. If I postpone it, I could get stuck with a day that's worse schedule wise.