Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   2022 - Sunday Plug Talk (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=98048)

t_man7 07-28-2022 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 1230140)
Looks like a level.sink. 8" long?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Slight tail down, and have a shimmy in the water. Think superstrike 1 3/4oz and a Habs 2oz combined.

derekH 07-28-2022 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_man7 (Post 1230117)
Carlezon needlefish duplicates.

Tommy, birch dowels? grain looks different then the ones i bought. i have been starting to use more belly weights in needles and getting a better swim/glide out of them.

t_man7 07-28-2022 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekH (Post 1230223)
Tommy, birch dowels? grain looks different then the ones i bought. i have been starting to use more belly weights in needles and getting a better swim/glide out of them.

Birch and one sugar maple, the grain is obvious on the maple one.

These are kiln dried birch dowels from kelloggs hardwood years ago.

pbadad 07-29-2022 07:43 AM

Tommy is that a screw eye hook hole? Looks like a recession to fill w/ epoxy.

t_man7 07-29-2022 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 1230259)
Tommy is that a screw eye hook hole? Looks like a recession to fill w/ epoxy.

Yes, wanted to keep it traditional. I figured through drilling with a 5/32 bit would remove too much wood buoyancy and impede upon the action.

derekH 07-29-2022 02:43 PM

Tommy, back in 2008 Flaptail posted the "sd special needlefish" its for an eelskin. it is also built with screw eyes. It is worth building a couple. It works, i changed it a little to thru wire this last year. but the original caught worked good for me

pbadad 07-29-2022 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_man7 (Post 1230311)
Yes, wanted to keep it traditional. I figured through drilling with a 5/32 bit would remove too much wood buoyancy and impede upon the action.

True. Maybe thru one and drop the equivalent weight of wire. Im sure u can create the same effect.

t_man7 07-30-2022 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekH (Post 1230312)
Tommy, back in 2008 Flaptail posted the "sd special needlefish" its for an eelskin. it is also built with screw eyes. It is worth building a couple. It works, i changed it a little to thru wire this last year. but the original caught worked good for me

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ial+needlefish

Neat plug, I’ll have to give it a shot. Thanks for sharing!

t_man7 07-30-2022 12:41 PM

Derek what’s the diameter on the SD SPECIAL?

derekH 07-30-2022 06:32 PM

Tommy, first ones i made i used 3/4 . birch dowel. the thru wire i am playing around with this year i am using ayc and more lead mid plug.

t_man7 07-30-2022 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekH (Post 1230372)
Tommy, first ones i made i used 3/4 . birch dowel. the thru wire i am playing around with this year i am using ayc and more lead mid plug.

Upload some pics, I would like to try my hand at a few; and learn from your mistakes as well!

derekH 07-31-2022 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_man7 (Post 1230380)
Upload some pics, I would like to try my hand at a few; and learn from your mistakes as well!

tommy, tried to put pictures on computer years ago, never figured it out. could not figure out how to save them or where they were, dont have a cell phone other then old flip phone in truck for emergency. It would be nice to be able to sell stuff, but i made it this long so the hell with it

t_man7 08-01-2022 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekH (Post 1230382)
tommy, tried to put pictures on computer years ago, never figured it out. could not figure out how to save them or where they were, dont have a cell phone other then old flip phone in truck for emergency. It would be nice to be able to sell stuff, but i made it this long so the hell with it

If you can email me them, I can post them up.

piemma 08-01-2022 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some not so recent.

derekH 08-01-2022 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_man7 (Post 1230453)
If you can email me them, I can post them up.

I cant email them to me! i couldnt figure how to get them on the computer. computer i have now has no place to put the card thing. i was told i have to buy something that plugs into the computer.. I was happy with film

t_man7 08-01-2022 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekH (Post 1230477)
I cant email them to me! i couldnt figure how to get them on the computer. computer i have now has no place to put the card thing. i was told i have to buy something that plugs into the computer.. I was happy with film

Hmm, if I ever see you bring it along. Problem solved haha

piemma 08-07-2022 12:22 PM

OK!!! I have had it with this heat. I am giving up on working on one of my decks and going to the plug room in the basement to TURN!!!!!

t_man7 08-07-2022 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1230710)
OK!!! I have had it with this heat. I am giving up on working on one of my decks and going to the plug room in the basement to TURN!!!!!

SMART MAN! My dog will sit in the shop with me for hours while I test my designs in the pool. Best plug partner I’ve had. He will watch them swim, if they’re good he keeps his eyes locked in on it.

piemma 08-09-2022 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_man7 (Post 1230711)
SMART MAN! My dog will sit in the shop with me for hours while I test my designs in the pool. Best plug partner I’ve had. He will watch them swim, if they’re good he keeps his eyes locked in on it.

Love it Tommy. We should figure out how to fish at least once during the fall run.

t_man7 08-09-2022 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1230807)
Love it Tommy. We should figure out how to fish at least once during the fall run.

Totally, let’s do it

t_man7 08-15-2022 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
MS Slammer

piemma 08-16-2022 01:59 AM

WOW!!

pbadad 08-16-2022 07:34 AM

Tommy u joining the "mouse " club!LOL
Bet it swims great on top with that lip.

t_man7 08-17-2022 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 1231170)
Tommy u joining the "mouse " club!LOL
Bet it swims great on top with that lip.

Ha, this one I cut the tail fin slot too wide and stuck a sluggo in. The rest get a soft plastic tail.

t_man7 10-11-2022 08:14 PM

Anyone turning?

derekH 10-12-2022 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_man7 (Post 1233742)
Anyone turning?

Experimental sand eel swimmers and Darter hell. and soon to enjoy system 3 and cold temperatures. I need to build a enclosed box that i can control temp

Linesider82 10-13-2022 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 1225794)
Derek you may have sealer bleed. 4hrs is way too long to soak. The excess sealer internally may not of fully cured even though its been awhile. I say this because I tried hot soak birch a couple years ago. Yes it absorbed the sealer quick but too much. I was increasing the needle weight by 6-9 grams. The wood weighed unsealed 28 grams. Thats approx 25%. Within a couple weeks of finishing the process of prime- epoxy., I noticed clear coat lifting on half of the needles. The clear cost lifted everything from the bare wood.
Mind you Ive been doing this same needle for 10yrs or so and the only difference done was this excessive soak. Immediately I went back to my proven.method of 30minute cold soak in 60/40 spar varnish and mineral spirits.
BTW I ended up scraping off all the needles to bare wood and let them dry for a month. I weighed them first then after. Found a drop of half the added weight from the sealer. Fellow builders have done experiments in sealing soak times and found no benefit from soaks longer than 10 minutes.

I heat some of my plugs, specifically maple darters to be epoxy sealed. Because epoxy chemically cures there is no off-gassing issue later. The result is a super strong plug, especially considering the bottom lip takes abuse and maple is not sealed well splits, I find the extra time to epoxy seal darters is worth it for me. Ayc darter lips, even if sealed this way still break.

piemma 10-16-2022 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_man7 (Post 1233742)
Anyone turning?

Tommy, I have been making some needles for DZ and Bob Huddy. We are fishing The Block the last week of the month on the New Moon. I'll post some pics when I get 5 seconds to breath. My better half has me transplanting stuff after I worked at the GC this morning.

t_man7 10-17-2022 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekH (Post 1233753)
Experimental sand eel swimmers and Darter hell. and soon to enjoy system 3 and cold temperatures. I need to build a enclosed box that i can control temp

Epoxy and cold temps do not mix. Best of luck!

What style sandeel swimmers? I found the slopehead gives them a little better swim, and cupping the lip.

derekH 10-18-2022 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_man7 (Post 1234083)
Epoxy and cold temps do not mix. Best of luck!

What style sandeel swimmers? I found the slopehead gives them a little better swim, and cupping the lip.

The sand eel swimmer that Rockfish9 posted a how to on,Tried a couple different lips. rwc, pine, ayc. and some board thats been in the shop for 40 years +. I thought it was pine but sucks up sealer more then any wood i tried.
Lost 2 Agitators to huge bluefish last couple days. so they are on the list to do now