Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   More kitchens (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=95669)

trevier 11-01-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 1204321)
A Chopmaster blade has a negative rake on it so it tends to not even chip out the backside of veneer plywood. 80 teeth is decent but it depends on what grind the teeth are set, maybe a triple chip blade would be better for you or make slower cuts or invest in a Forrest, you won’t regret it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

I do have a forrest blade. Not sure what model it is though. It's definitely a 80th one though.

Rmarsh 11-04-2020 06:11 AM

Back at the kitchen and stair installs, after doing some rotted floor replacement at the mill that needed emergency repair, as in somebody or something is going to go through.
The newel posts extend down through the subfloor and are anchored into the floor framing from below.... rock solid.

Rmarsh 11-04-2020 06:49 AM

Mitered nosing at newel post came out pretty good......cutting the nosing to fit around the newel posts is not easy...got to take your time.
The 35 pvc lampposts that I built in my shop during covid are all used up....most every house here sold preconstruction...the others sold as soon as they were finished.

Rmarsh 11-07-2020 06:35 AM

Got a request to build a pair of "farmhouse style" driveway gates.
Located some heavy duty hinges that should do the job.
Important to remember to make a left and and right hand version....and not two of the same.:o

Rmarsh 11-08-2020 07:12 AM

made some progress on these yesterday....going to hang them on pvc trimmed pt 6x6 posts

nightfighter 11-08-2020 09:10 AM

Nice, Bob. Lap jointed 1x on main frame?

Rmarsh 11-09-2020 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1204764)
Nice, Bob. Lap jointed 1x on main frame?

Yep.... two layers of 1X6 pvc ...with tight fitting lap joints....laminations all pvc glued. Was concerned about too much flex in the pvc trim...but when all glued up together and doubled...its fine.

Rmarsh 12-05-2020 01:35 PM

more stairs and kitchens

spence 12-05-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1206092)
more stairs and kitchens

I'd love to live in a house with stairs built post building codes, nice detail on those. I don't quite get the single cabinets on either side of the vent hood though, that seems like a quirky design.

Rmarsh 12-05-2020 03:28 PM

Appreciate your comments...I agree...I just install"em
very basic kitchens on these houses.

redlite 12-05-2020 06:40 PM

Where is this development? Still up in forest park?
Different that someone went with dark kitchen cabinets as trend seems to be leaning towards white cabinets. Last few kitchens we done been white. Wife is makin me paint our 20k in cherry SChrock cabinets white. Criminal.
Where is micro? Drawer micro? We just did one in the custom kitchen we just finished with similar good Big fan of the micro drawer.

Rmarsh 12-05-2020 07:17 PM

Forest park is mostly done...only about.4 house lots are left ...we've spent most of the last year or two building smaller houses ...at Highland Farms in the north end of Fall River....around 40 houses...its all sold out.

Slipknot 12-05-2020 11:05 PM

Nice clean work Bob, looks good to me.

redlite, paint cherry? AHHHHH:eek: :smash: :hs:

Rmarsh 12-06-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlite (Post 1206104)
Where is this development? Still up in forest park?
Different that someone went with dark kitchen cabinets as trend seems to be leaning towards white cabinets. Last few kitchens we done been white. Wife is makin me paint our 20k in cherry SChrock cabinets white. Criminal.
Where is micro? Drawer micro? We just did one in the custom kitchen we just finished with similar good Big fan of the micro drawer.

The trend for sure has been towards painted cabinets ....mostly linen white but also some greys and blues.
Still have some customers that like that dark stain...I dont....shows every speck of dust....and the tiniest of scratches!
My wife also ....wants the kitchen cabinets that i custom built 30 years ago...ash with a light stain ..painted now. Have you gotten any quotes or would you diy.???
Micro drawer is in the island cabinets on some of these kitchens... like you mentioned....most don't want the old combination hood fan microwave over the stove anymore....and put the stainless chimney hood instead.
Another option is a wall cabinet with an open shelf they make for the mw.
You can see it in the last picture next to the fridge.
Got another stairway to finish starting tomorrow....

Rmarsh 12-07-2020 05:52 PM

Rough framing....its got a few errors but correctable...ill set the upstairs newel posts and nosings first so they can do hardwood flooring up there.

bloocrab 12-07-2020 08:39 PM

Is it my imagination, or are the walls painted already?? :eek5:

Rmarsh 12-08-2020 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloocrab (Post 1206151)
Is it my imagination, or are the walls painted already?? :eek5:

Our painter goes in after the skim coat plaster is done and primes everything. Then paints all the ceilings white and gets just the first coat of wall paint on before we start the interior trim. Makes his job much easier when he comes back to do finish coat of paint.

Rmarsh 12-09-2020 05:21 AM

Painted bath cabinets....its hard to see but there is a little gold colored paint in the crevices. Newel posts are set....i cut open the subfloor so the post can extend down and be fastened into the floor framing.

Rmarsh 12-09-2020 05:25 AM

Skirtboards are in.....some risers and treads next.

Rmarsh 12-11-2020 05:54 AM

To fit treads to the skirtboard....which is seldom going to be a perfect 90 degree cut...i cut them about half an inch longer...then scribe them. This gets the length and cut at once.

Rmarsh 12-11-2020 06:00 AM

No one else working here...I've done most of the finish work on this one by myself....rest of the crew are rushing to finish a house across town before Christmas.

Slipknot 12-11-2020 11:00 AM

Cool :kewl: It's always best to have the place to yourself when doing stairs that is for sure. Looking good
Merry Christmas

nightfighter 12-11-2020 11:25 AM

Who makes that compass/scribing tool? I have always had a love/hate relationship with my cheap compass...

Rmarsh 12-11-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1206328)
Who makes that compass/scribing tool? I have always had a love/hate relationship with my cheap compass...

Ross...had this pair for over forty years....General Tools I think....hard to find in stores now...
Starrett Tools makes a nice one but kind of expensive.
A quick search on line i saw Stanley # 41-017 compass divider same as what I use

piemma 12-11-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1206117)
The trend for sure has been towards painted cabinets ....mostly linen white but also some greys and blues.
Still have some customers that like that dark stain...I dont....shows every speck of dust....and the tiniest of scratches!
My wife also ....wants the kitchen cabinets that i custom built 30 years ago...ash with a light stain ..painted now. Have you gotten any quotes or would you diy.???
Micro drawer is in the island cabinets on some of these kitchens... like you mentioned....most don't want the old combination hood fan microwave over the stove anymore....and put the stainless chimney hood instead.
Another option is a wall cabinet with an open shelf they make for the mw.
You can see it in the last picture next to the fridge.
Got another stairway to finish starting tomorrow....

I love your comments. All our kitchen cabinets are custom made....40 years ago. The guy who built them died 25 years ago and they are a work of art. The amazing thing is 15 years ago (and they were stained) my wife had me paint them linen white. Horrendous job as there are 23 doors. Took each one off prepped with Kills' oil based paint and then I forget how many coats of paint but they still look beautiful.
I also found your comment that micro over the stove are out. We never did it as we have 2 cabinets over the hood over the stove.
Question: What is a micro draw?

Rmarsh 12-11-2020 03:57 PM

Its a microwave oven that opens like a drawer....goes in a base cabinet....lot of times in the island base ...food is top loaded.

Rmarsh 12-11-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 1206325)
Cool :kewl: It's always best to have the place to yourself when doing stairs that is for sure. Looking good
Merry Christmas

Thanks! ...worked on it all day without any interuptions...great but doesn't happen a lot. I make less errors when there are no distractions
Merry Christmas

Rmarsh 12-11-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1206346)
I love your comments. All our kitchen cabinets are custom made....40 years ago. The guy who built them died 25 years ago and they are a work of art. The amazing thing is 15 years ago (and they were stained) my wife had me paint them linen white. Horrendous job as there are 23 doors. Took each one off prepped with Kills' oil based paint and then I forget how many coats of paint but they still look beautiful.
I also found your comment that micro over the stove are out. We never did it as we have 2 cabinets over the hood over the stove.
Question: What is a micro draw?

I dread painting our kitchen cabinets....huge job I would guess...I would almost rather redo with factory cabinets ...would be faster for sure

nightfighter 12-11-2020 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1206338)
Ross...had this pair for over forty years....General Tools I think....hard to find in stores now...
Starrett Tools makes a nice one but kind of expensive.
A quick search on line i saw Stanley # 41-017 compass divider same as what I use

Thank you, sir.

spence 12-11-2020 05:50 PM

I don’t know why you’re so anal with the cuts, can’t you caulk up to like a quarter inch?

:hidin:

Any time you want to rehab my 160 year old staircase just let me know.