Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   You’re all set, the GOP has the house (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=98561)

Jim in CT 01-04-2023 10:43 PM

pete, what specifically did desantis do to “target gays”? please be specific and 0
provide support. the “don’t say gay”
bull actually didn’t mention homosexuality at all. it said that no sexuality ( not heterosexuality, not homosexuality, not any kind of sexuality.

i’ll wait.

Pete F. 01-04-2023 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1237077)
Wow, that last paragraph is ultra-hyper propaganda on steroids. I notice that this is the leftist, often rabidly accusative, but lacking in actual hard substance type of articles that you really like, and think will persuade rational people.

I think it can persuade rational people, that description doesn’t fit everyone.
Listen to you and Jim.
Now tell us more about Molyneux and the other brilliant people you’ve found on YouTube.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Pete F. 01-04-2023 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1237078)
pete, what specifically did desantis do to “target gays”? please be specific and 0
bull actually didn’t mention homosexuality at all. it said that no sexuality ( not heterosexuality, not homosexuality, not any kind of sexuality.

i’ll wait.

I’ll let you wait, just keep holding your wee wee.

Pete F. 01-04-2023 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1237078)

i’ll wait.

DeSantis literally passed legislation against Disney this year for daring to try to stand up even marginally for LGBT people.

I'm not sure how to break this to you, but homophobia is in some ways worse right now than it's been in decades.

detbuch 01-04-2023 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1237079)
I think it can persuade rational people,

Of course you do. As I said, you like that kind of stuff.

that description doesn’t fit everyone.
Listen to you and Jim.

The Giroux article is written in a propagandistic manner. It was easy for me to point out how so. It was the usual name-calling, label loaded, insinuative, unsubstantial, biasedly narrow, lacking depth of rational, honest, and thorough analysis. It was, as I pointed out, a rather rabid run-of-the-mouth hit piece meant to convince some left leaning choir that Trump and DeSantis are fascists that "fuel the emergence of fascist politics in the United States.”

That's all part of the emerging fascist technique of labeling opponents as a means to destroy them--e.g. insisting they are racists, fascists, Nazis, white supremacists, misogynists, homophobes, anti anything or anyone that they think are oppressed and can be brought into the fold of Progressive fascism by painting ideologically seductive verbal pictures.

Now tell us more about Molyneux and the other brilliant people you’ve found on YouTube.

I already have. And I didn't consult YouTube to respond to your article. Just my own native intelligence and crafted my own words. What did you consult to find it? Fox or The Federalist?

Pete F. 01-05-2023 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1237082)
I already have. And I didn't consult YouTube to respond to your article. Just my own native intelligence and crafted my own words. What did you consult to find it? Fox or The Federalist?

Of course you calling people names is quite correct in your own mind so you produced this statement.

“ The Chi-coms, Stalinist Supreme Soviet, and, dare I say, the Nazis had very ordered governance.

Turbulence in our House of Representatives can be far more beneficial for keeping our Federal Government in check against being a well ordered cabal lead by the false authoritarian promise of taking care of the people.”

That’s the logical end point of a person in a party that has descended into mindless demonization—of Democrats, of immigrants, of the 'deep state,' of the FBI, of the medical profession, of the 'woke' military—and now of one another.

Claiming that this is how the House works is the end result of what happened to the four GOP US House speakers in modern times…#^&
Newt Gingrich quit in frustration in ’98
Denny Hastert served 8 years (later convicted of finance and sex crimes)
John Boehner quit in frustration in ’15
Paul Ryan quit in frustration in ’18

This is systemic for the failed Republican Party, not McCarthy’s personal problem.

detbuch 01-05-2023 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1237083)
Of course you calling people names is quite correct in your own mind so you produced this statement.

“ The Chi-coms, Stalinist Supreme Soviet, and, dare I say, the Nazis had very ordered governance.

Well, those were their real names, not pejorative labels-- Chinese Communists (Chi-coms--shortened version), Stalinist Supreme Soviet, and Nazis. What else should I have called them?

Turbulence in our House of Representatives can be far more beneficial for keeping our Federal Government in check against being a well ordered cabal lead by the false authoritarian promise of taking care of the people.”

This was a parallel construction sort of in your style as a counterpoint mimicking your post that I responded to.

That’s the logical end point of a person in a party that has descended into mindless demonization—of Democrats, of immigrants, of the 'deep state,' of the FBI, of the medical profession, of the 'woke' military—and now of one another.

Ah yes, the canard that it was "demonization" and so adroitly magnified with the snobby addition of "mindless." Well done.

Claiming that this is how the House works is the end result of what happened to the four GOP US House speakers in modern times…#^&
Newt Gingrich quit in frustration in ’98
Denny Hastert served 8 years (later convicted of finance and sex crimes)
John Boehner quit in frustration in ’15
Paul Ryan quit in frustration in ’18

This is systemic for the failed Republican Party, not McCarthy’s personal problem.

Yes . . . yes . . . all very, very sad. Time for a change. Move on from Democrat lite to an actual constitutional party.

wdmso 01-05-2023 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1237070)
I agree with you stealing and denying are very different. You are the only person I know besides my wife, who argues with me when I am agreeing with them.

But when Republicans deny, you say that are bad. When this democrat denies, you defend him.

You guys constantly insult republican voters who had nothing to do with January 6, but who think that 2020 wasn't a fair election. But you have no problem when a democrat does exactly the same thing.

Please stop saying I'm being dishonest for making comparisons that I never made.

But when Republicans deny, you say that are bad

No you’re not agreeing with me

Your again suggesting words and deeds are the same

When Republicans claim the election was stolen they do so with because they actual think that or their lying to their base . Because that’s what their base believes

Most dems don’t actually think Trump stole the 2016 election
Rather it was influenced a by the FBI and the Russian meddling
Ya know the Russia Trump ask for help against Clinton

wdmso 01-05-2023 06:36 AM

The newest spin from republicans on the self imposed chit show

I feel that this is really about changing the way in which Congress functions and that they’re productive,

That’s Funny

Let see the complete list of these wanted and actual changes to the house Rules

Question I assume the apply equally to the minority?

wdmso 01-05-2023 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1237074)
People who hate and harm our constitutional form of government and wish to replace it with a promised, supposedly benevolent, authoritarian state will not restrain themselves from that endeavor. And they will exercise that hate and harm against those standing in their way and will ultimately feed off of their authoritarian nature by subjugating, punishing, anyone that threatens their power. They will gather committees and cabals around themselves to create the attractive air of orderly consensus in order to please and pacify the populace with a show of justifiable and legal righteousness so they then can remove, with trials and investigations and indictments, those who oppose and threaten them or their agenda, thereby permanently destroying them by irreparable harms and punishments--and clear the way for their plans to remake our government a centralized, top down administration by elite masterminds supported by wealthy oligarchs.

You just described the MAGA movement to a T

Got Stripers 01-05-2023 07:15 AM

Get ready for another banner day for the dysfunctional Republican Party.

Pete F. 01-05-2023 08:21 AM

It’s scary, but predictable that dark money super pacs are explicitly part of the negotiation regarding who becomes Speaker of the United States House.
It’s why the US is now nothing more than a managed democracy. When (most) of our elected officials have become beholden to campaign funding from special interests/lobbyists/corporations/billionaires, legislating for the public good becomes a conflict of interest & thus impossible.

detbuch 01-05-2023 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1237088)
You just described the MAGA movement to a T

Not true.

Jim in CT 01-05-2023 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1237090)
Get ready for another banner day for the dysfunctional Republican Party.

if McCarthy cared about the party he’d remove himself
from contention, , but he’s too selfish so the dysfunctionality will continue.

detbuch 01-05-2023 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1237092)
It’s why the US is now nothing more than a managed democracy. When (most) of our elected officials have become beholden to campaign funding from special interests/lobbyists/corporations/billionaires, legislating for the public good becomes a conflict of interest & thus impossible.

There's a lot of truth there. It's a kind of the emergence of fascism. And its been emerging for a long time, at least a century, and we're getting closer to beyond emerging and to actually arriving. And it has a lot more to do with the Progressive movement's goal of managing society by government fiat and expertise than much, if anything, to do with the MAGA Movement which is far less authoritarian, more freedom oriented, more against being managed, more of a don't tread on me than a give me a government controlled existence.

Jim in CT 01-05-2023 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1237098)
There's a lot of truth there. It's a kind of the emergence of fascism. And its been emerging for a long time, at least a century, and we're getting closer to beyond emerging and to actually arriving. And it has a lot more to do with the Progressive movement's goal of managing society by government fiat and expertise than much, if anything, to do with the MAGA Movement which is far less authoritarian, more freedom oriented, more against being managed, more of a don't tread on me than a give me a government controlled existence.

he did speak a lot of truth. And today, even big corporate money goes to democrats. Wasn’t long ago at all, that corporations have their money to the gop, that changed in the blink of an eye. ot sure if corporations hated Trump or if it was a symptom of their wanting to embrace woke-ism do as not to anger the social
justice gestapo.

Not sure how anyone could claim today that republicans are more authoritarian than democrats. But they claim it.

Pete F. 01-05-2023 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1237098)

Sure it’s progressives fault that we live in the only developed country where medical bankruptcy exists.

detbuch 01-05-2023 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1237102)
Sure it’s progressives fault that we live in the only developed country where medical bankruptcy exists.

We live in the only developed country where a lot of different things exist. Everybody has their share of responsibility for that.

wdmso 01-05-2023 11:00 AM

Not sure how anyone could claim today that republicans are more authoritarian than democrats. But they claim it.

read the January 6th committee’s report. It might help

wdmso 01-05-2023 12:45 PM

Man the GOP keeps putting their Black members in the frontline

Do they honestly think they look and speak as if there an inclusive party 4 are the most since the 1870s which is a positive

John James After listening to him he possibly could Steer the GOP back to the center Maybe ��

Got Stripers 01-05-2023 02:40 PM

Number eight and Groundhog Day continues, dysfunction at its best.

Pete F. 01-05-2023 03:00 PM

Ali Alexander is threatening to release evidence that Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene "committed a crime" that will get her expelled from Congress: "I will not suffer this harlot. I will not be taught vows and loyalty, commitment from a whore!"

One could hope that someone will ask Ali what evidence he has because he’s likely committed another crime: misprision “ Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.”

Got Stripers 01-05-2023 04:37 PM

Nine down, oh magic 8 ball what are your predictions for 24, when the country watches two years of a Republican congress that can’t function or govern.

spence 01-05-2023 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1237116)
Ali Alexander is threatening to release evidence that Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene "committed a crime" that will get her expelled from Congress: "I will not suffer this harlot. I will not be taught vows and loyalty, commitment from a whore!"

One could hope that someone will ask Ali what evidence he has because he’s likely committed another crime: misprision “ Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.”

You forgot the best part :hihi:

Quote:

When you were on Q boards and masturbating to transvestites in Seattle, I was fighting and bleeding for this country, Marge. I came here before you, I will be here after you. Hoe, go home!

PaulS 01-05-2023 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1237117)
Nine down, oh magic 8 ball what are your predictions for 24, when the country watches two years of a Republican congress that can’t function or govern.

Are we great again yet?

Got Stripers 01-05-2023 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1237027)
america didn’t agree with you in november. the GOP is in fine shape. The biggest threat is obviously trump. He’ll be in the rear view mirror no later than 2024.

You’re denying mathematical reality because you don’t like it.

If trump is the nominee, you should
look forward to 2024. If it’s Desantis, you have less reason to be excited.

who do you think will be the democrat nominee? curious who you think. I think Newsom.

The GOP is fine…….sure Jim. The gop elected a game show host, who was twice impeached, who spearheaded a coup and soon will I hope be joining his other convicted conspiracists. He cost them the White House and On his way out the cancer that is Trump, infected the party, putting fellow nuts into races they couldn’t win, resulting in the worst mid term in memory. The irony for Kevin McCarthy who blamed Trump for the 6th, only to reverse course flying to FL to kiss Trumps arse in the belief it would help him, now finds that due to Trump and the miserable mid term; he doesn’t have the majority most mid terms would have guaranteed his speakership.

If the GOP is fine I think it’s time to seek help, what is out there for coolaid (come on you are Scott missing all the fun) addicts?

Pete F. 01-05-2023 08:59 PM

The difference between the Democrats & GOP is a rift between adulthood & perpetual adolescence. While Dems deliver lower insulin costs, affordable hearing-aids & infrastructure. GOP argues over who gets to drive the Camaro to a keg party, even though it hasn’t passed inspection and nobody knows how to drive.

Jim in CT 01-05-2023 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1237120)
The GOP is fine…….sure Jim. The gop elected a game show host, who was twice impeached, who spearheaded a coup and soon will I hope be joining his other convicted conspiracists. He cost them the White House and On his way out the cancer that is Trump, infected the party, putting fellow nuts into races they couldn’t win, resulting in the worst mid term in memory. The irony for Kevin McCarthy who blamed Trump for the 6th, only to reverse course flying to FL to kiss Trumps arse in the belief it would help him, now finds that due to Trump and the miserable mid term; he doesn’t have the majority most mid terms would have guaranteed his speakership.

If the GOP is fine I think it’s time to seek help, what is out there for coolaid (come on you are Scott missing all the fun) addicts?

if you say the gop is destroyed and a lame party, i say it’s time for you to seek help. look at the mathematical facts of how many federal and state elected offices are held by each party, look at who controls the states that people are fleeing, and who controls the states people
are moving to.

Now, there’s plenty about the gop which I hate. But the party is in decent shape. You can’t concede the facts because you’re blinded by hate. I’m responding to irrefutable data. i don’t get blinded by ideology, i can happily go wherever the facts take me. I have a side i root for obviously, but i can be rational about my sides failures and the other sides successes. You guys, not one of you, can do that.

obviously the gop has liars, scumbags, losers, hucksters, morons. This is an ambarassing situation which no one will remember in 6 months

and i think it’s interesting. part of me thinks the holdouts should
tow the line,, part of me says that if they want McCarthy to promise to support term limits and he won’t, then they shouldn’t vote for him. part of me says this is how democracy works.

The democrats elected a potus who has a credible rape allegation against him, he’s a known liar, a known plagiarizer, and is now deeply demented. They elected a CT senator who lied for years about serving in vietnam. They twice elected bill clinton,, a lifelong abuser of women, disbarred for lying. and he’s a hero on the left. Same with Hilary, so character was nowhere on the ballot in 2016. So spare me the nonsense that either side has a monopoly on character flaws.

i can match you on both sides electing jerks, all day long. All day long. Both sides have good folks and bad folks. Both sides have good ideas and bad ideas. Again, none of you can admit that ( despite it being obvious) because you’re blinded by ideology. All that matters to everyone single one of you ( except Paul) is defending liberalism, no matter what. No matter what, no exceptions, not ever. You’re the most thoughtless, utterly predictable buch one could imagine. i can tell with 100% accuracy what every single one of you will say about every single issue.

Got Stripers 01-06-2023 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1237122)
if you say the gop is destroyed and a lame party, i say it’s time for you to seek help. look at the mathematical facts of how many federal and state elected offices are held by each party, look at who controls the states that people are fleeing, and who controls the states people
are moving to.

Now, there’s plenty about the gop which I hate. But the party is in decent shape. You can’t concede the facts because you’re blinded by hate. I’m responding to irrefutable data. i don’t get blinded by ideology, i can happily go wherever the facts take me. I have a side i root for obviously, but i can be rational about my sides failures and the other sides successes. You guys, not one of you, can do that.

obviously the gop has liars, scumbags, losers, hucksters, morons. This is an ambarassing situation which no one will remember in 6 months

and i think it’s interesting. part of me thinks the holdouts should
tow the line,, part of me says that if they want McCarthy to promise to support term limits and he won’t, then they shouldn’t vote for him. part of me says this is how democracy works.

The democrats elected a potus who has a credible rape allegation against him, he’s a known liar, a known plagiarizer, and is now deeply demented. They elected a CT senator who lied for years about serving in vietnam. They twice elected bill clinton,, a lifelong abuser of women, disbarred for lying. and he’s a hero on the left. Same with Hilary, so character was nowhere on the ballot in 2016. So spare me the nonsense that either side has a monopoly on character flaws.

i can match you on both sides electing jerks, all day long. All day long. Both sides have good folks and bad folks. Both sides have good ideas and bad ideas. Again, none of you can admit that ( despite it being obvious) because you’re blinded by ideology. All that matters to everyone single one of you ( except Paul) is defending liberalism, no matter what. No matter what, no exceptions, not ever. You’re the most thoughtless, utterly predictable buch one could imagine. i can tell with 100% accuracy what every single one of you will say about every single issue.

It’s a greatest hits medley, keep drinking Jim, I think the only thing you prove is how blind you are to what is happening in plain sight or how deep the corruption and dysfunction runs in this party.

Jim in CT 01-06-2023 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1237123)
It’s a greatest hits medley, keep drinking Jim, I think the only thing you prove is how blind you are to what is happening in plain sight or how deep the corruption and dysfunction runs in this party.

i’m curious to know what it is you think i’m
drinking? when i’m the one who says there’s good and bad on both sides, and you say all the good is on the left, and all
the bad is on the right?

Which one of us is the blind extremist?

please tell me your take on what’s happening right now? are you suggesting that there’s no disagreement among democrats in the house? that none of them disagree with Ihan Omar on anything?

there’s a temporary, embarrassing thing taking place, which is kind of unavoidable when you have a razor thin majority and you have republicans with different ideas. On the one hand, you can’t always get what you want and you have to compromise sometimes. On then other hand, it’s not written in stone that McCarthy gets to be speaker, so if the freedom caucus doesn’t like him, why should they vote for him?

I admit it looks very silly and dysfunctional. but doesn’t it also look a lot like democracy?

are you saying a party is only “functional” when every single member of that party, agrees on everything? it’s hard not to conclude that’s what you believe.

you’re full of insults, devoid of explanation, as usual.

now when Matt Gaetz votes for Trump for speaker, he’s embarrassing himself, but he’s has no business being in congress anyway. So there some individuals being very embarrassing.

But if you were the head of the RNC, what would you grell the 20 holdouts? that they have. responsibility to join the majority and support McCarthy?

Maybe that’s what they should do. But i’m not sure. McCarthy is soft on the border and balanced budgets and opposed to term
limits. If they want to pressure him to get him to move in their direction on those issues, why is that a bad thing? especially if they happened to run on those issues and feel
like their constituents elected them on that basis.

I don’t especially like McCarthy. He’s kind of unprincipled and not very conservative, and for sure he wants to be there forever, and i don’t like congressmen who are opposed to term limits.

anyway, i explained why i see both sides. instead of libbing insults, please tell me why you think it’s a bad thing for the holdouts to demand that the republicans promise to advocate for balanced budgets and term limits, in return for voting for McCarthy? why is that corrupt and dysfunctional? maybe it is, but i’m not sure. And you merely claiming it is, doesn’t make it so. I’d actually be interested i. hearing your rationale behind it, but there probably isn’t any, more likely just reflexive loathing if everyone who disagrees with you.

different subject, but here’s what i think is dysfunctional. CT has been run by liberals
for 50 years. And we are a very wealthy state, and we have very high tax rates. So we gave a ton of money to the liberals running the state, more than enough. . yet our unfunded debt is tens of thousands of dollars for every human being in the state, probably at least $35k for every human being in the state. Yet every other year, their plan is to raise taxes and increase spending. it never ever works, but they do it every single budget cycle.

That’s dysfunctional.

Pete F. 01-06-2023 07:57 AM

The asymmetry of pressure within the GOP is striking. Not true of the Dems, where the centrists fight back against the left, and think they have a right to push their views as hard as the left does.

This is a way of saying the U.S. basically has, now, only one governing party.

Jim in CT 01-06-2023 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1237125)
The asymmetry of pressure within the GOP is striking. Not true of the Dems, where the centrists fight back against the left, and think they have a right to push their views as hard as the left does.

This is a way of saying the U.S. basically has, now, only one governing party.

any chance we can have an actual conversation?

not sure what you’re saying. are you saying it’s good that on the left, the moderates and extremists battle it out? but isn’t that exactly what’s happening now with the gop?

the moderates want mccarthy, the more radical
conservatives either want someone else, or at least want assurances from mccarthy that he’ll advocate for some of their policies ( secure border, term limits, balanced budget).

this is a sincere, honest question. Which side do you think should cave? or should they both move towards each other? which supposedly is what’s happening…

you seem to be saying the centrists on the right aren’t fighting back, but they are. they are sticking with McCarthy, and calling out the extremists that are holding things up.

much has ben written and discussed about the disproportional clout wielded by AOC and the squad. when the democrats tried to pass that huge spending bills early in bidens first term ( build back better?), the moderates and extremists couldn’t agree and it took several
iterations to hammer it out. how is that different from this?

Pete F. 01-06-2023 08:50 AM

If the Republican position is the government is the problem and it cannot do anything right, what kind of people do you think that would attract?

Running on government doesn't work, elect me and I will show you how badly, gets you here.

Pete F. 01-06-2023 08:55 AM

Just think: if Kevin McCarthy had made Gaetz resign bc of his sex scandal or moved to expel Boebert when she endangered ppl on J6, or tried to get rid of Gosar after his endless # of racist statements, he probably wouldn't be having this problem now.

wdmso 01-06-2023 08:57 AM

Those Republicans Holding the house hostage are from district districts that are so gerrymandered they face no consequences are not heroes they’re not acting on principle they it’s just the jerry springer Show
What are constituency screaming fight fight fight.

other Republicans going on CNN and Fox talking about this is what democracy looks like it’s messy blah blah blah

others we have to don’t get down to business so we can eliminate the 87,000 IRS agents that are coming to pick the pockets of American people more like pick people like Trump pocket. it’s just lie after lie after lie

I actually know a 30 year IRS agent and even she says the 87,000 is just a replace retirees and attrition over the years from agents to secretaries and IT people. So they can modernized IRS database and storage

Yet again these Republicans know that they’re just too frayed tell their voters the truth and because you got passed by a Democratic House and president it’s somehow not for the American people

That’s what Republicans do if they don’t like the facts it does create their own

Even Tucker briefly talked about the debacle on the hill and then he went into a rant of the woke Democrats change the name of turkey to turkey put a two second Internet search show the state department change the spelling of turkey to Turkiye At the request of the Turkish Government.

But of course Tucker left that out …she how they operate

Pete F. 01-06-2023 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1237126)
any chance we can have an actual conversation?

not sure what you’re saying. are you saying it’s good that on the left, the moderates and extremists battle it out? but isn’t that exactly what’s happening now with the gop?

the moderates want mccarthy, the more radical
conservatives either want someone else, or at least want assurances from mccarthy that he’ll advocate for some of their policies ( secure border, term limits, balanced budget).

this is a sincere, honest question. Which side do you think should cave? or should they both move towards each other? which supposedly is what’s happening…

you seem to be saying the centrists on the right aren’t fighting back, but they are. they are sticking with McCarthy, and calling out the extremists that are holding things up.

much has ben written and discussed in the right wing media about the disproportional clout wielded by AOC and the squad. when the democrats tried to pass that huge spending bills early in bidens first term ( build back better?), the moderates and extremists couldn’t agree and it took several
iterations to hammer it out. how is that different from this?

Fixed it for you

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Any political leader who planned, abetted, praised or excused the violent attack on our Congress and Capitol of January 6, 2021, and that insurrection against our sacred democracy should never be trusted on the issue of law and order.

Jim in CT 01-06-2023 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1237129)
Those Republicans Holding the house hostage are from district districts that are so gerrymandered they face no consequences are not heroes they’re not acting on principle they it’s just the jerry springer Show
What are constituency screaming fight fight fight.

other Republicans going on CNN and Fox talking about this is what democracy looks like it’s messy blah blah blah

others we have to don’t get down to business so we can eliminate the 87,000 IRS agents that are coming to pick the pockets of American people more like pick people like Trump pocket. it’s just lie after lie after lie

I actually know a 30 year IRS agent and even she says the 87,000 is just a replace retirees and attrition over the years from agents to secretaries and IT people. So they can modernized IRS database and storage

Yet again these Republicans know that they’re just too frayed tell their voters the truth and because you got passed by a Democratic House and president it’s somehow not for the American people

That’s what Republicans do if they don’t like the facts it does create their own

Even Tucker briefly talked about the debacle on the hill and then he went into a rant of the woke Democrats change the name of turkey to turkey put a two second Internet search show the state department change the spelling of turkey to Turkiye At the request of the Turkish Government.

But of course Tucker left that out …she how they operate

I'll ask you the same question I asked Pete (I should have known better). When the democrats were trying to pass that big spending bill early in Bidens tenure (build back better, or whatever), it took many iterations, because the moderates and the progressives simply couldn't agree.

How is this, so different from that?

Got Stripers 01-06-2023 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1237132)
I'll ask you the same question I asked Pete (I should have known better). When the democrats were trying to pass that big spending bill early in Bidens tenure (build back better, or whatever), it took many iterations, because the moderates and the progressives simply couldn't agree.

Jim you are dense, it's so different it hasn't gone to this many votes in what 150 years now, they passed the 100 year mark a day ago. The difference is your party and the supposed leader of the party didn't take the time or make the effort to get the votes needed after the congress was secured. It's just more fallout from Trump, cost the white house, cost the big mid term, put wack jobs in the position they are in now to hold the house hostage.

Pete F. 01-06-2023 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1237132)

Also, how is land different from water?

Jim in CT 01-06-2023 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1237133)
Jim you are dense, it's so different it hasn't gone to this many votes in what 150 years now, they passed the 100 year mark a day ago. The difference is your party and the supposed leader of the party didn't take the time or make the effort to get the votes needed after the congress was secured. It's just more fallout from Trump, cost the white house, cost the big mid term, put wack jobs in the position they are in now to hold the house hostage.

"he difference is your party and the supposed leader of the party didn't take the time or make the effort to get the votes needed after the congress was secured"

I can say the same exact thing about Biden and the democrats after he won in 2020. They had time to get everyone on the same page, but they didn't, and as a result, it took them quite a while to get the huge spending bill approved. At the time, conservatives were laughing that the party that controlled both chambers and the white house couldn't pass a spending bill. But after several rounds of failed votes and negotiations and compromises, the bill passed, and today no one cares about the dysfunctionality that preceded it.

So it's OK when democrats in a majority can't gain an immediate consensus on something, it's OK when there are failed votes and stalls and threats and political posturing that delay the passing of the final bill. It's totally fine when that happens to democrats. But when the same thing happens to republicans, it's the end of the party.

Word is that McCarthy is caving to much of what the conservatives want, especially in regards to federal spending, which is the biggest thing the GOP can do when they control the house but not the senate.

I give Biden and the democrats credit for passing the infastructure bill, it was necessary and popular. Well, today what's also necessary and becoming more and more popular on both sides, is the idea that we can't endlessly add to the federal deficit. I don't think only conservatives agree with that. If the conservatives can get McCarthy to be more disciplined on federal spending, then in my opinion that's worth the egg they've had on their faces for the last few days. If voting against him for a few rounds was required to get him to push for a balanced budget, then good for them. And shame on McCarthy for not being immediately on board with that.

When this is done, the only people who will care, are those with a seething hatred of the GOP. It's the same exact thing the democrats went through when they passed build back better. Same exact concept applied to a different federal issue. The progressives wanted zillions in extra spending that the moderate democrats in the senate were never going to agree to. That went on and on and on. The democrats controlled everything but the different factions couldn't agree. And I enjoyed it at the time, just as you are enjoying this. But I didn't claim it was the end of the democratic party, because that would be as stupid as saying this is the end of the GOP. It's nothing.