Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   kavanaugh (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=94231)

wdmso 09-25-2018 03:43 PM

the only reason they are having a female ask the question is so the can say look we cared ... she asked the question not us :kewl:

Jim in CT 09-25-2018 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1151888)
the only reason they are having a female ask the question is so the can say look we cared ... she asked the question not us :kewl:

and if a bunch of silver haired white guys ask, the left will bitch about that. yes or no? fine she doesn’t want an expert, let the senators ask her, and watch how they get attacked for being mean.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Pete F. 09-25-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1151886)
i didn’t say they had to donut today. i asked why Ford isn’t asking for it. it’s not like she’s seeking privacy.

“they might be being nice about it”

i bet that’s it.

no, i see it. not that long ago, it wasn’t like this. Clarence Thomas got confirmed by a democrat controlled senate. it got ugly, and never returned to civilized, during bush’s presidency. it has not always been like this, not even close.

Sitting in the low chair?
If i had evidence that someone had committed a crime, i have leverage over them. I can go to the police and file the complaint or just ask them to stop what they are doing that i disagree with.
That's what i mean by being nice, giving them a chance to just go on with their life and not continue in the direction they are going.

detbuch 09-25-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1151875)
I see, so judges are binary. Some rule by textual limitation and others rule by personal opinion. There's nothing in between.

Right.

Almost right. A judge cannot do both at the same time. It is only "scary," a la Pete F, that "he could have more effect on our government than any elected official other than the president and for life" when judges interpret by opinion than by original text. There is no in between.

Interpreting by text proscribes the desire to interject ideas and opinions outside of the text. It denies the ability of the judge to impact government other than limiting it to its constitutional powers.

Interpreting outside of the text eliminates the text (the Constitution), brushes it aside as an impediment to arriving at a desired judgment. And thereby gives a judge the ability to create policy or to support otherwise Congressional unconstitutional legislation. That is the scary that Pete F, perhaps inadvertently, refers to.

The two methods of interpretation cannot be used in conjunction with each other. They are opposing methods.

spence 09-25-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1151893)
Almost right. A judge cannot do both at the same time. It is only "scary," a la Pete F, that "he could have more effect on our government than any elected official other than the president and for life" when judges interpret by opinion than by original text. There is no in between.

Interpreting by text proscribes the desire to interject ideas and opinions outside of the text. It denies the ability of the judge to impact government other than limiting it to its constitutional powers.

Interpreting outside of the text eliminates the text (the Constitution), brushes it aside as an impediment to arriving at a desired judgment. And thereby gives a judge the ability to create policy or to support otherwise Congressional unconstitutional legislation. That is the scary that Pete F, perhaps inadvertently, refers to.

The two methods of interpretation cannot be used in conjunction with each other. They are opposing methods.

So originalist judges are robots? What do they do when the code doesn't build?

detbuch 09-25-2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1151899)
So originalist judges are robots? What do they do when the code doesn't build?

No, they are judges not legislators nor enablers of unconstitutional legislation.

What code? Judges don't build. And they don't create building codes. They judge by applying existing codes. If those codes don't "build," it is up to the builders to change them.

A good overall government code provides for change. As does the U.S. Constitution--which does not give the judicial branch the power to change the code.

If judges create the laws which they adjudicate, that should surely be a system that Pete F would think is scary. Are you suggesting we should have such a system?

Ian 09-25-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1151828)
Spence, it’s also not a loss for Trump if the nomination gets withdrawn, and he nominated that female devout catholic ( Barrett or Jarrett?). the liberals should have asked themselves if having Kavanaugh on the court is the worst possible outcome for them. I’d think a brilliant, strong woman who is a rabid catholic, would be far less preferable, compared to Kavanaugh. if nothing else, Kavanaugh is an easier target, being a man. There is no way, none, that this seat isn’t filled before the new congress is sworn in. If the dems take the senate, Trump will do it in the lame duck session, and he won’t bat an eye.

They’ll just accuse her of sexual assault... this seat will never get filled. It’s just going to be one criminal appointee after another. At least we have plenty of other justices?

Jim in CT 09-25-2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 1151912)
They’ll just accuse her of sexual assault... this seat will never get filled. It’s just going to be one criminal appointee after another. At least we have plenty of other justices?

oh it’s going to get filled.

Pete F. 09-25-2018 06:53 PM

Of the 163 citizens nominated to the Supreme Court by presidents since the start of the Republic, only 125 were confirmed, 7 declined.
It’s not the end of the USA if he doesn’t get confirmed

scottw 09-25-2018 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1151885)

Why wouldn't the Senators question her themselves?
What are they afraid of?

so evil democraps can't whine that she's being bullied.....

Jim in CT 09-26-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1151917)
Of the 163 citizens nominated to the Supreme Court by presidents since the start of the Republic, only 125 were confirmed, 7 declined.
It’s not the end of the USA if he doesn’t get confirmed

if unsubstantiated allegations are enough to disqualify someone, it will mean no one gets confirmed.

If there is nothing beyond allegations and hearsay, he's probably going to get confirmed. I would say definite, but they might get 2 defections from Collins, Murkowski, and Flake. Also possible Pence breaks the tie.

Jim in CT 09-26-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1151941)
so evil democraps can't whine that she's being bullied.....

Nothing will stop them from that whining.

I still don't see the bad idea of bringing in a subject matter expert. Well, I see the problem if this is just a smear campaign, I see no problem if the goal is justice.

scottw 09-26-2018 01:31 PM

I wonder if the democrats have reached peak crazy yet....

Pete F. 09-26-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1152008)

I don't know about that, but somebody seems to be chasing the laser pointer.
Don't worry though, I hear someone is going to have a press conference and straighten everyone out as only he can.

spence 09-26-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

I'd be more concerned with the people sending death threats to senators for supporting Ford's right to be heard.

scottw 09-26-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1152012)
I'd be more concerned with the people sending death threats to senators for supporting Ford's right to be heard.

another from the whack leftist playbook....waaaaa...we're victims....we're getting death threats....

spence 09-26-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1152014)
another from the whack leftist playbook....waaaaa...we're victims....we're getting death threats....

Jeff Flake is a wack leftist?

scottw 09-26-2018 02:56 PM

which senator has not supported ford's right to be heard? they've bent over backwards to ensure that she is heard....yes flake is a flake....ahhh I see....someone from somewhere called his office....he's far more likely to be accosted by an angry mob of leftists in a restaurant if he votes to confirm

Jim in CT 09-26-2018 03:30 PM

so all the democrats want an fbi investigation, even though lithe fbi investigated him six times and missed that he participated in 10 gang rapes. Ten.

Does anybody believe this?

wdmso 09-26-2018 03:42 PM

What do Kavanaugh and bill Bill Cosby ? have in common

no one believed the women who accused him... at 1st

scottw 09-26-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1152021)
so all the democrats want an fbi investigation, even though lithe fbi investigated him six times and missed that he participated in 10 gang rapes. Ten.

spence does :bl:

The Dad Fisherman 09-26-2018 04:13 PM

Quote:

Nah, I’m pretty sure by Friday morning we will hear from somebody who was part of Kavanaugh’s transgender underage prostitution ring that he was running out of the unisex bathrooms at the rest areas on I95

The Dad Fisherman 09-26-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

I guess they just released video footage of him actually in line, I think that’s him at the front

https://youtu.be/hshbq4_OySI

Pete F. 09-26-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1152026)
Nah, I’m pretty sure by Friday morning we will hear from somebody who was part of Kavanaugh’s transgender underage prostitution ring that he was running out of the unisex bathrooms at the rest areas on I95

It’s a pizza place, did you miss that one? Oh wait that was George Soros and Hillary
Sorry you’re right the rest area is on the right

spence 09-26-2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Jim, we'll go over this one more time. When the FBI does a regular background check they don't investigate potential issues that are not generally known.

scottw 09-26-2018 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1152026)

sex with farm animals is next...democrats are all in....my as well go full nut job

scottw 09-26-2018 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1152029)
Jim, we'll go over this one more time. When the FBI does a regular background check they don't investigate potential issues that are not generally known.

Federal judicial nominees undergo a rigorous FBI background check

spence 09-26-2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1152039)
Federal judicial nominees undergo a rigorous FBI background check

Number 4

PaulS 09-26-2018 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1152040)
Number 4

Why do you bother?

PaulS 09-26-2018 06:03 PM

What vile accusations these women have made against Kavanagh. If they made the same type of accusations about me and I had the ability to have the FBI investigate I'd be screaming for them to investigate. Lie detectors all around for the accused and accuser. Anyone who lies would be guilty of perjury. I wonder why that hasn't happened?

detbuch 09-26-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1152029)

What's the point of investigating what is already known. Isn't it the point of an investigation to find out that which is not known?

scottw 09-26-2018 07:23 PM

interesting....

"The Judiciary Committee sent Thomas’s nomination to the full Senate on a vote of seven-to-seven. In mid-October, on the eve of the Senate’s final vote on Thomas, his confirmation looked like a sure thing.

Meanwhile, as the chances of defeating the Thomas nomination grew smaller, both the press and the groups working against him grew ever more vigorous in their search for material to use against him. Employees at the EEOC reported getting repeated phone calls from journalists and Thomas opponents explicitly asking for “dirt.” On Sunday, October 6, after the Senate Judiciary Committee had voted to send the Thomas nomination to the Senate, Newsday and National Public Radio reported that for a month the committee had had in its possession an affidavit from a woman named Anita Hill making charges of sexual harassment.

Thomas supporters protested the introduction of a new charge against him, after so many other accusations had been leveled and failed, on the very eve of the confirmation vote. Thomas opponents said that because not much was known about the charges, the vote should be postponed and Hill’s story given a more thorough airing.

But the opponents said a great deal more as well. They claimed that the Senate, by its treatment of Hill, had already demonstrated men’s outrageous indifference to the welfare of women and the fundamental incapacity of male elected officials to give proper political representation to their female constituents. If the Senators went ahead with their floor vote on Thomas as scheduled, they would compound the insult.

The anger of Thomas’s critics drove out respect for procedural traditions and niceties. The Judiciary Committee had considered Hill’s charges privately, in agreement with Hill’s expressed wishes; but someone on some Senate committee staff decided that he or she was morally justified in overriding these rules of confidentiality and leaking Hill’s affidavit, either directly to the press or to an intermediary, and subjecting both Hill and Thomas to a public airing of the issue.

After the leak, Thomas’s supporters said that because he was to be effectively put on trial, he should be given the presumption of innocence: Hill should have to come up with some solid corroboration of her claim. Thomas’s opponents dismissed this idea, explaining that since sexual harassment often took place in private, an absence of corroborating evidence was only to be expected. Asking for the conventional presumption of innocence under this circumstance would be nothing other than a fancy version of “blaming the victim.”

The opponents evidently calculated that by bathing the whole affair in the light of publicity, they could undo the Judiciary Committee’s verdict. And indeed, at first they seemed to succeed. But in the end, they succeeded too well. They forced a public event that featured Hill and Thomas facing off against each other directly and individually. They provided Hill with a phalanx of lawyers to match Thomas’s White House handlers. They created, in other words, a forum that strongly resembled a criminal trial."

wdmso 09-27-2018 03:45 AM

Fox front page on their site

Senate committee talks with 2 men who say Kavanaugh accuser may be mistaking judge for them

The Dad Fisherman 09-27-2018 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1152058)
Fox front page on their site

Senate committee talks with 2 men who say Kavanaugh accuser may be mistaking judge for them

Sounds just as rediculous as the judge taking a number at the gang bang.

Sea Dangles 09-27-2018 05:59 AM

Train gang

scottw 09-27-2018 06:06 AM

this is comical....

In a statement released Wednesday evening, Judiciary Committee Republicans revealed that on Monday, they conducted their "first interview with a man who believes he, not Judge Kavanaugh, had the encounter with Dr. Ford in 1982 that is the basis of his [sic] complaint." They conducted a second interview the next day.

On Wednesday, Republicans said in the statement, they received a "more in-depth written statement from the man interviewed twice previously who believes he, not Judge Kavanuagh, had the encounter in question with Dr. Ford." GOP investigators also spoke on the phone with another man making a similar claim.

Ford has previously said there is "zero chance" she would have confused Kavanaugh for anyone else.

In response, an aide to Democrats on the Judiciary Committee reportedly unloaded on Senate Republicans: "Republicans are flailing," the aide said, according to NBC News.

"They are desperately trying to muddy the waters. ... Twelve hours before the hearing they suggest two anonymous men claimed to have assaulted her. Democrats were never informed of these assertions in interviews, in violation of Senate rules."

The aide, before again calling for an FBI probe into Ford's accusations, added, "This is shameful and the height of irresponsibility."

scottw 09-27-2018 06:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this is hilarious....

Nebe 09-27-2018 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1152068)
this is hilarious....

Glad to see you think it’s hillarious to mock 2 victims of sexual assault. :hihi:

scottw 09-27-2018 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1152071)
Glad to see you think it’s hillarious to mock 2 victims of sexual assault. :hihi:

democrats are doing a fine job of mocking and delegitimizing all actual victims of sexual assault by turing it into a political weapon....again

this guy Avenatti is the perfect presidential candidate for the dems in 2020

Jim in CT 09-27-2018 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1152044)
What's the point of investigating what is already known. Isn't it the point of an investigation to find out that which is not known?

Right, it's just an exercise to confirm what's already known, they don't ask any questions about the person's past.