Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Herd immunity is not a strategy, it is a biological fact (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=96955)

spence 10-28-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1203919)
i said there’s no consensus on masks, and posted 10 or so articles citing studies saying masks don’t work against this virus. i don’t know what party has to do with it, the fact is, there are scientists who say masks aren’t effective.

if you want to deny that, fine. all i’m doing is staing the obvious, but once again you display your willingness to deny all facts that don’t serve your personal agenda.

I wear a mask, ok? i’m no saying i agree with those studies. i’m saying they exist.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

You posted zero articles saying masks don’t work.

Jim in CT 10-28-2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1203921)
You posted zero articles saying masks don’t work.

posted several articles saying masks don’t work, which you didn’t like, so you threw your predictable hissy fit.

you’re acting like i’m supporting that position. i dont.

Pete F. 10-28-2020 08:23 AM

Sounds like someone will adopt any position to support Tweety and “own the libs”
At least you’re consistent

Jim in CT 10-28-2020 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1203924)
Sounds like someone will adopt any position to support Tweety and “own the libs”
At least you’re consistent

i choose to wear a mask. how is that supporting trump?

Pete F. 10-28-2020 09:38 AM

After Mark Meadows claimed "we are not going to control the pandemic," testing coordinator Adm. Giroir said this a.m., "We can control the virus. We know how to do that." He said that means having smart policies like wearing masks, avoiding crowds & being careful during holidays.

Pete F. 10-28-2020 10:16 AM

Now think about the “pro-life” people who refuse to wear masks and say "the government can't tell me what I can and can't do with my body " and the irony will be lost on them all

spence 10-28-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1203928)
After Mark Meadows claimed "we are not going to control the pandemic," testing coordinator Adm. Giroir said this a.m., "We can control the virus. We know how to do that." He said that means having smart policies like wearing masks, avoiding crowds & being careful during holidays.

Issue is moot now

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybe.../#5428edbc1034

RIROCKHOUND 10-28-2020 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1203939)
Issue is moot now

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybe.../#5428edbc1034

^^

scottw 10-28-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1203926)
i choose to wear a mask. how is that supporting trump?

RI is spiking beyond spring levels...not many trump supporters in RI and the spiking is in areas that are not "trump country"....this is true across the country but don't let that get in the way of the narrative that trump supporters refusing to wear masks are driving the covid fall rebound that everyone expected,,,, and which is also reflected around the world....just blame trump...:happy:

Pete F. 10-28-2020 11:50 AM

Let’s be precise. It’s not getting better no matter what the clown claims. It’s getting worse. The Johns Hopkins University reports another 73,240 Americans were diagnosed with Covid-19 yesterday and another 985 Americans died from the virus yesterday. My Deepest Condolences to their loving families.

Pete F. 10-28-2020 11:52 AM

Besides they really care

CNN's Alisyn Camerota: "Hospitals in WI are near capacity. Does that give you any pause about going there and holding a big rally?"

Trump 2020 Press Sec. Hogan Gidley: “No, it doesn’t … the VP has the best doctors in the world around him."

Got Stripers 10-28-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1203944)
just blame trump...:happy:

It appears If the polling is correct and after 2016 I don’t trust polls, the majority of the country is about to do just that. So if and that’s a big if in politics today, Biden wins in a landslide and the GOP looses the senate, what is your view of that majority? Just a country full of stupid people or people who couldn’t stand another minute with this want-to-be dictator and fool in charge.

Pete F. 10-28-2020 11:59 AM

"In two weeks," Trump should be a lame duck president.

But he was always a quack.

scottw 10-28-2020 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1203948)

if Biden wins in a landslide and the GOP looses the senate, what is your view of that majority? Just a country full of stupid people or people who couldn’t stand another minute with this want-to-be dictator and fool in charge.

do you expect me to answer one or the other?

Got Stripers 10-28-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1203951)
do you expect me to answer one or the other?

I already know your answer it’s clear by your posts in this and other threads.

wdmso 10-28-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1203920)
perfect consensus? nothing, probably. but americans tend to like the gop position on taxes, border policy, letting the free market lift us all, personal liberty, no 9th month abortions ( public opinion may be changing there, i don’t know), strong national defense, no court stacking, etc...

do you think the gop is a fringe party? for several years now, we’ve had the senate and a large majority of state governorships and state legislatures. why do you think that is? the gop had had an amazing run since 2010. an amazing run, that lasted ten years.

what is a perfect consensus ? this maybe the issue you even can twist the definition of consensus its self ..

Jim a consensus is general agreement. not a super majority of agreement

so if 75 % of science and doctors say masks work ( havent seen any suggesting they are 100% effective thats not what anyone is saying umbrellas dont keep you 100% dry but we still use them ) and 25 % say they dont work at all ?

There's your consensus, a minority view does not void this consensus on Masks

scottw 10-28-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1203946)

Let’s be precise. It’s not getting better no matter what the clown claims. It’s getting worse.

we knew it was coming back....this is very good...

NPR

Studies Point To Big Drop In COVID-19 Death Rates
October 26, 2020

"The drop is seen in all groups, including older patients and those with underlying conditions, suggesting that physicians are getting better at helping patients survive their illness......Patients in the study had a 25.6% chance of dying at the start of the pandemic; they now have a 7.6% chance.

try to be optimistic...I know it's hard....

scottw 10-28-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1203952)
I already know your answer it’s clear by your posts in this and other threads.

it's clear by your question that you assume an awful lot

c. I think people will vote for what they believe is in their best interest and I won't hold it against them....can't say that for a lot of people that I know

Got Stripers 10-28-2020 12:34 PM

You won’t hold it against the public who blame Trump, that’s a contradiction of sorts.

Pete F. 10-28-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1203954)
we knew it was coming back....this is very good...

NPR

Studies Point To Big Drop In COVID-19 Death Rates
October 26, 2020

"The drop is seen in all groups, including older patients and those with underlying conditions, suggesting that physicians are getting better at helping patients survive their illness......Patients in the study had a 25.6% chance of dying at the start of the pandemic; they now have a 7.6% chance.

try to be optimistic...I know it's hard....

Now tell us about the little known long term effects of contracting COVID-19
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...m-effects.html

Jim in CT 10-28-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1203948)
It appears If the polling is correct and after 2016 I don’t trust polls, the majority of the country is about to do just that. So if and that’s a big if in politics today, Biden wins in a landslide and the GOP looses the senate, what is your view of that majority? Just a country full of stupid people or people who couldn’t stand another minute with this want-to-be dictator and fool in charge.

If Biden wins and the Dems take the Senate (very likely), why would anyone assume it's anything other than normal pendulum swinging?

In 2008, Obama won, the dems controlled the house, and had a fillibuster-proof majority n the senate.

Then starting in 2010, for 10 years, a red wave swept the whole country. Now, probably thanks to trump's antics but only because of that, it's likely to go the other way.

Normal pattern...

scottw 10-28-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1203957)
You won’t hold it against the public who blame Trump, that’s a contradiction of sorts.

why would I? ....and blame trump for what?....you seem to blame trump for everything including the sun coming up...I think, like pete, you concoct things in your head that are not necessarily true then you come here and rail against those things projection them on others...it's odd

scottw 10-28-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1203959)
If Biden wins and the Dems take the Senate (very likely), why would anyone assume it's anything other than normal pendulum swinging?

In 2008, Obama won, the dems controlled the house, and had a fillibuster-proof majority n the senate.

Then starting in 2010, for 10 years, a red wave swept the whole country. Now, probably thanks to trump's antics but only because of that, it's likely to go the other way.

Normal pattern...

if trump loses and dems take the senate..spence and the democrat geniuses will declare the republican party dead forever...again...for the 4th time :uhuh::rotf2:

Pete F. 10-28-2020 01:01 PM

I take no responsibility at all

Pete F. 10-28-2020 01:14 PM

Well, if you’re brain dead enough to think this is something and someone who deserves your vote.........

“What are your top priority items for a second term?"

This was Trump’s full answer. Savor it:

"Well, one of the things that will be really great -- you know, the word experience is still good. I always say talent is more important than experience, I've always said that. But the word experience is a very important word. It's a very important meaning. I never did this before. I never slept over in Washington. I was in Washington, I think, 17 times, all of a sudden, I'm president of the United States. You know the story, I'm riding down Pennsylvania Avenue with our first lady and I say, this is great. But I didn't know very many people in Washington. It wasn't my thing. I was from Manhattan, from New York. Now, I know everybody and I have great people in the administration. You make some mistakes like, you know, an idiot like Bolton. All he wanted to do was drop bombs on everybody. You don't have to drop bombs on everybody. You don't have to kill people."

Afterward, he was given multiple chances to give a better answer, but he never did.

Jim in CT 10-28-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1203963)
if trump loses and dems take the senate..spence and the democrat geniuses will declare the republican party dead forever...again...for the 4th time :uhuh::rotf2:

Correct. Everyone said in 2008 that the GOP was done, a fringe party of nothing but old, rich white guys...then starting only 2 years later, the GOP opened up a can of whoop-azz.

It never lasts forever.

An interesting discussion could be had, in which the premise was that in both the 2008 and 2020 elections, the country was facing crises which the entire media unfairly (in my opinion, obviously) blamed an incumbent republican president, and the democrats used that BS to gain power.

Jim in CT 10-28-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1203966)
Well, if you’re brain dead enough to think this is something and someone who deserves your vote.........

“What are your top priority items for a second term?"

This was Trump’s full answer. Savor it:

"Well, one of the things that will be really great -- you know, the word experience is still good. I always say talent is more important than experience, I've always said that. But the word experience is a very important word. It's a very important meaning. I never did this before. I never slept over in Washington. I was in Washington, I think, 17 times, all of a sudden, I'm president of the United States. You know the story, I'm riding down Pennsylvania Avenue with our first lady and I say, this is great. But I didn't know very many people in Washington. It wasn't my thing. I was from Manhattan, from New York. Now, I know everybody and I have great people in the administration. You make some mistakes like, you know, an idiot like Bolton. All he wanted to do was drop bombs on everybody. You don't have to drop bombs on everybody. You don't have to kill people."

Afterward, he was given multiple chances to give a better answer, but he never did.

The thing is, I don't care how he articulated his answer to that question. The true answer, is that he oversaw an administration during which, a record-number of Americans claimed they were better off thnn 4 years ago, and that was during a global pandemic.

Pete, how do you explain that a record number of people say they're better off now than 4 years ago? Never before have more Americans claimed they were better off. How did that happen, what makes them feel that way?

Pete F. 10-28-2020 02:22 PM

Setting aside how people personally felt about their situation, it asked, “Do you think America is better off or worse off than it was four years ago?”

On this question, the verdict was distinctly different. Just 39 percent said the country was better off than four years ago, while 55 percent said it was worse off. When it came to whether things were worse than four years ago, the number jumped from 32 percent for people’s personal situations to 55 percent for the country’s situation — increasing by at least 16 points for every demographic except Republicans. Positive views overall dropped from 49 percent to 39 percent.

Jim in CT 10-28-2020 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1203973)
Setting aside how people personally felt about their situation, it asked, “Do you think America is better off or worse off than it was four years ago?”

On this question, the verdict was distinctly different. Just 39 percent said the country was better off than four years ago, while 55 percent said it was worse off. When it came to whether things were worse than four years ago, the number jumped from 32 percent for people’s personal situations to 55 percent for the country’s situation — increasing by at least 16 points for every demographic except Republicans. Positive views overall dropped from 49 percent to 39 percent.

you always dodge any question that you can’t answer with trump bashing. always.

it must be convenient to be able to “set aside” EVERYTHING that doesn’t support your agenda.

Pete F. 10-28-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1203975)
you always dodge any question that you can’t answer with trump bashing. always.

it must be convenient to be able to “set aside” EVERYTHING that doesn’t support your agenda.

It’s very apparent that the majority of Americans have more empathy than Trump and Trumplicans, that’s why most say while I personally may be better off, the country is not with this administration.
It’s only a few more days and I applaud Covita for unifying the country, it just happens to be against him.